Steps to the Acropolis in Lindos, Rhodes

A number of postings have mentioned the steps up to the Acropolis in Lindos in Rhodes. How many are there and do they have railings or are they just open steps? We are trying to determine if two of our party would be able to handle the steps. If they can't, are there other things to see and do in Lindos that make it worth the trip or should we just stay in Rhodes City? We would all love to see the views from the Acropolis but are just not sure we can all handle the steps.

As i recall there are many steps up to Parthanon and to archeology site in Lindos. And as I recall no railings. Wouldn't really recommnend for people who have problems with stairs.

Would suggest skipping Acropolis. The ride to Lindos and the town is beautiful with a great view and lots of places to sit so that option might work.

Sorry. Much of Greece isn't to accessible.

A number of postings have mentioned the steps up to the Acropolis in Lindos in Rhodes. How many are there and do they have railings or are they just open steps? We are trying to determine if two of our party would be able to handle the steps. If they can't, are there other things to see and do in Lindos that make it worth the trip or should we just stay in Rhodes City? We would all love to see the views from the Acropolis but are just not sure we can all handle the steps.

Some of the stairs are protected by some sort of railing; some are not. Hieght of each step varies greatly (from 3 inch to 12 inch.) The tread width can also vary from 12 inches to 36 inches or more.

Some stairs near the top have a 10-15 foot drop off on one side with no railing.

Lindos town itself is beautiful.

To see the Acropolis and medieval fortress in Lindos, you need to be able to manage at least 100 steps of varying height, without guide rails, after already climbing up several hundred feet on the steep path. The best views are from up top, also.

People who can walk up the steep path, or ride a donkey, can at least see the base of the Acropolis with the ship carving, and the Bay of St. Paul.

For those who can't walk uphill at all, there is at least good shopping in Lindos Village. And the Church of the Panagia is worth a visit for the incredibly elaborate frescoes and decoration, notably the dog-headed St. Christopher. If your non-mobile tour members like to shop, they will enjoy Lindos. There are also some nice views on the drive down from Rhodes.

If your friends can't climb up the hill, have them ride a donkey! They were SUCH adorable little things, patiently waiting for riders in the heat... I found myself wishing I could come up with an excuse to have to take one, they looked like so much fun! And of course they'll take you back down again, too.

If your friends can't climb up the hill, have them ride a donkey!

What about all the steps after the donkey drop-off point, though? I thought the steps from the base of the acropolis up to the fortress and temple were far more strenuous than the donkey path from Lindos village to the base of the acropolis.

Also bear in mind that the donkeys are kind of smelly. Our guide warned us that anyone who took them would probably smell like donkey afterwards.

There are stairs up to the very top, it's true, but as I recall, they constitute only a small percentage of the climb, so the donkeys can do the bulk of it. (Are there really 100 steps? I don't remember it being anywhere near that many...)

Even if you can't do steps at all, the donkey-dropoff point has an incredible view of the bay, absolutely stunning. There's also a fascinating ancient carving of a ship right there at the base of the stairs (as another poster mentioned) which is worth seeing. In general, I'd say it's certainly better to get at least that far than not to go up at al!

As for smelling like a donkey, well, I didn't ride one so I can't say... but when we were there it was so stupefyingly hot that we all probably smelled pretty icky anyway, donkey or no donkey. ;)

we took the donkeys and it was great fun. I dont recall smelling afterward and since we were with 2 kids one of them would surely have pointed it out! There were quite a few steps after the donkey drop off but I would do it and have the less mobile sit there and wait for you. There's a little refreshment place just where the donkeys let you off. Also FYI re: accessabilty in Greece, it is apparently not well known but you can get an elevator up to the acropolis in Athens. There is a gate just past the tickets booths and if you wait there someone will come and take you to the elevator. Admission is free for the handicapped. Same process to come back down just go and wait and someone will come along and assist you. We were there in June and my niece was using crutches and a wheelchair after falling in Istanbul.

-----------------

Helen

If your friends can't climb up the hill, have them ride a donkey! They were SUCH adorable little things, patiently waiting for riders in the heat... I found myself wishing I could come up with an excuse to have to take one, they looked like so much fun! And of course they'll take you back down again, too.

This is a terrible idea! Why should a donkey have to climb a hill with an adult on its back, let alone an overweight child?

In Britain, they have had the good sense to ban anyone, including children (it's children that tend to ride the donkeys), who weighs more than 14 stone.

14 stone equals 112 pounds.

How many cruisers weigh that little? :eek:

Read the story, "No Donkeys for the Overweight" at ABC:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=4588700&page=1

It's a tough climb and dangerous. There's a small path with steps of different heights and you go up and down the same path, so it's busy and they have ladies selling tablecloths and other goods along the way. I did it and it is lovely at the top, but I wouldn't do it again. Not recommended for anyone less than fit.

Archived