clothes

New KAJO

Hey Kajo

I scoured these boards long and hard when I was trying to decide what to pack. I've put together my current packing list here: http://cruisealaska.wordpress.com/2008/08/10/clothing-im-packing-for-our-alaskan-cruise-from-vancouver/

It containts what I'm bringing for a Cruise up the Inside Passage August 22, 08. I'm a man, and my fiance's list (female clothes) will follow soon.

When you've compiled your own list, let me know what I should add to mine!

Be Great

Benjamin

I bought a new waterproof rain jacket (Marmont for only $115!) and also a Nothface Fleece ($150) to wear alone or under the rain jacket. Alos bought the waterproof shoes (Land's End) and waterproof pants ($47) and a waterproof bacpack ($48). We are doing some pricey outdoor excursions and I want to be comfortable and enjoy them.

I will probably bring an unbrella for walking around port towns and also a head band to keep my ears warm if it gets windy!

I am from Florida and purchased a few items- Northface rain jacket (unlined) which I wore over a Columbia fleece jacket. I also purchased shoes at Northface (waterproof with Gortex) that I wore almost everywhere. I wore long sleeve t-shirts- no sweaters. It rained in Ketchikan, Juneau and during the days we were at sea prior to entering Glacier Bay and College Fjords. I took an umbrella but did not use it much as the rain came at us sideways- and the rain jacket kept me dry. Everyone in our group dressed pretty much the same and we were all warm and dry. We all wore jeans and it worked fine for us.

I went in july 2006. i wore jeans, and tops some times with a light weight fleese with it. two days was sandels and short sleeves. again one day was all layers due to rain. you need to be ready..

i did and many did use their bathing suit for hot tubs, steam room etc.

There have been many posts what to wear in Alaska, and 98% were either what to wear on excursions, wet and cold, or what to wear for formal night. I was just wondering what to wear just walking about the ship? It will be our "home" for a week, and other than jammies, I ussually wear jeans and a shirt, or somesuch, but how often does one wander out on the deck, and do you carry a jacket or long sleeves of some type most of the time? I want to be prepared for everything...so I reckon i will be toting my camera, my jacket, my binoculars, and my rain bonnet everywhere!! Just kidding....surely that won't be necessary.

Unless, you are out on the open deck, most of the ship is covered, and for walking around the ship, in the library, etc I was fine in a long cotton pant (or jeans) and short sleeved T shirt ... I also wore shorts and a sleeveless top to the Gym, and walked around the ship after gym and was fine ( we had sun, so was comfortable) ... on the last day, we could sit outside (+ 15) and read on the uncovered deck.

I wore ordinary runners or canvass shooes on the ship ... didn't need socks

But you have to do what you are comfortable with. I read all the posts and went prepared with sweats and lon sleeved tops, and didn't use any of the warm clothes.

That is kind of what I was thinking. Planning all the layers, and not wearing half of them because of being inside, and not having enough t-shirts, or short sleeve stuff. I remember about 20 years ago we went to San Francisco and took all summer clothes and one white sweater....I wore the sweater everyday. Middle of July, it was 60 degrees!! Ya just never know!!

We were on the Tahitian Princess for a July 14 day Alaskan cruise and definitely plan on layering but be sure to have a water proof of water resistant jacket to wear on top. During our cruise we had rain and clouds almost everyday and sometimes for the whole day.

My wife had taken a raincoat for an outer covering but with a sweatshirt and another garment she found out it wouldn't zip up. I was able to find a good water resistant coat for her at the Tongass Trading company which very near the docks in Ketchican. It cost $19.99 and she wore it everyday afterwards until we got back to Vancouver where it finally warmed up and stopped raining. I later saw the same coat in other stores for a similar price so it you want to save some space in your luggage wait until Ketchican and pick up a coat there.

Have a great next cruise.

There have been many posts what to wear in Alaska, and 98% were either what to wear on excursions, wet and cold, or what to wear for formal night. I was just wondering what to wear just walking about the ship? It will be our "home" for a week, and other than jammies, I ussually wear jeans and a shirt, or somesuch, but how often does one wander out on the deck, and do you carry a jacket or long sleeves of some type most of the time? I want to be prepared for everything...so I reckon i will be toting my camera, my jacket, my binoculars, and my rain bonnet everywhere!! Just kidding....surely that won't be necessary.

How often you wander out on deck will depend on you. We were out a lot on our two Glacier Viewing days. I lived in my fleece pants and wind pants. Most people, included my DH, wore jeans on the ship. On Glacier days I even added my silk long underwear. If we weren't out on deck we were in the Crow's nest (Volendam) which has panoramic windows. It was a great place to be when you didn't want to be outside.

Layering and waterproof are the keys to clothes in Alaska.

That is kind of what I was thinking. Planning all the layers, and not wearing half of them because of being inside, and not having enough t-shirts, or short sleeve stuff. I remember about 20 years ago we went to San Francisco and took all summer clothes and one white sweater....I wore the sweater everyday. Middle of July, it was 60 degrees!! Ya just never know!!

Yup. Layering is the key. Including some "summer" type clothing. I wish I had brought shorts on my Alaskan cruise. Skagway was HOT that trip. Luckily, I had t-shirts.

Anyways, in case the OP hasn't noticed, people are bringing multiple layers of clothing. If it gets cold, they throw on another layer. If it gets hot, they take some off. No bulky all purpose coats. The weather can change fast and often. Just walking around the ship, it feels the same as any indoor restaurant, shopping mall, etc. If you go outside, in some places, be prepared for some serious cold wind blasting at you. Not all the time, but if you like hanging out outdoors, a windproof layer can be vital.

Oh, and krogerlady, SF has weird weather. It doesn't follow normal seasons like the rest of the country. My wife is from SF. I've been with her for a decade. We visit all the time. I still don't fully get the weather there. From what I can gather, summertime in SF has weather that would be like late fall to early winter anywhere else. Then it gets hot when everywhere else starts cooling. But you get the random hot or cold day in the middle of those seasons as well. It's just weird. Granted, I'm from SoCal where you couldn't tell one season from the other, but still. SF has weird weather. Alaska isn't quite so weird.

Archived