Solstice's pools=Emperor's new clothes??

emcee207

I believe Celebrity has invested somewhere around $400 million on the Solstice. I would assume that with this sum of money involved, the professional design team was well aware of how much pool space would be needed based on occupancy. Time will tell but I'm not particularly worried.

I believe Celebrity has invested somewhere around $400 million on the Solstice. I would assume that with this sum of money involved, the professional design team was well aware of how much pool space would be needed based on occupancy. Time will tell but I'm not particularly worried.

You would think, but this is not always the case. Plenty of cruise lines have also spent millions on new cruise ships which have had major design flaws. Perception and reality are often two different things.

Ernie

Actually, the number is closer to $750 million

I've never seen a pool on a cruise ship that you could actually swim in. Most are for sitting around in, putting your feet in or just to get wet. Even on the VOS, there weren't many people in the pools, most just want to sit around it.

Judy

I've never seen a pool on a cruise ship that you could actually swim in. Most are for sitting around in, putting your feet in or just to get wet. Even on the VOS, there weren't many people in the pools, most just want to sit around it.

Judy

I don't really agree. I've been on many cruises where the pools are packed with people, uncomfortably so. FREEDOM and VOYAGER have some of the largest pools afloat, and I have sailed on both and the pools would get very busy. Carnival is even worse because the pools are so small.

Ernie

it looks to be about the same length as both the outdoor pools put together. It is my experience that the adults only pools tend to be less crowded. We never sit around the outdoor pools because of the noise level...give me the solarium or my own balcony any day of the week over the crowds of the main pool area.

Most of the time people are sitting around the edges of the outdoor pool--often it is just me & the kids actually in them--water is usually refreshingly cold but not appealing to many grown ups! For a Carib cruise a nice pool area is an essential-- in Europe not such a big concern...since cruise is port intensive.

The big shock is lack of a T pool/hydro pool which is sort of a must for a spa-- the extra steam rooms (Persian gardens) on Celebrity have not been impressive so far on the M class ships, so we'll see what they do with them on these ships...

Most of the time people are sitting around the edges of the outdoor pool--often it is just me & the kids actually in them--water is usually refreshingly cold but not appealing to many grown ups!

I guess that depends on the ship, where you are sailing, and the time of year. I've taken Carnival cruises during the Summer and the pools have literally been wall to wall people. Same with Royal Caribbean. It can actually be pretty disgusting and if it's like that I won't go in.

I still think one outdoor pool that you can actually swim in is not enough for 2800 passengers.

Personally I also like the Solarium pools, but not as much in the Caribbean as I like the open air and sun.

It may all be a non-issue on SOLSTICE. I don't know. Time will tell I guess and I'll let you know after my December 7th cruise.

Ernie

The renderings that have been used to promote the Solstice are just that, renderings. Designers often do not put in every single chair or table, because it tends to make the space look cluttered in a rendering. It is not a floorplan, it is meant to give a feeling and sense of what the space will look and feel like. I suspect there will be plenty of seats, even for the chair hogs.

$750 MILLION??!!! That is an awful lot of money; and almost twice the $400m quoted. Where did these figures come from? If it is that much I'd love to see Celebrity's spreadsheets of payback v investment!!!

Ernie, I agree with your opinion re: the designers etc. I'm in the construction business and have seen many "well thought out" designs just not work. Sometimes they forget to sit back and look at the big picture.

And as far as making these judgements on "renderings", Yes, I had my initial misgivings when I first saw the renderings and floor plans but kept quiet until I saw the real pictures. I've seen enough recent pics, including close ups of this area, to now think my initial gut reaction was correct.

Archived