Gift Ideas??????????????

BalconyBumz

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any input for this. I've been on many, many cruises, but have never done this before and was thinking about it. I know I've read that others do and have done it, but I can't find where. I'd like to do this on my next cruise!

My question is...in addition to giving extra tips, what are some neat ideas that are unisex that would be thoughtful to hand out to crew, like room attendant or anyone that does something special for you that they would like? I've seen the m & m pack idea, but what else? Thanks!

Back in 2006, my husband and I were on a cruise during Halloween, and we made little treats for the staff. We got small Halloween tumblers from Party City and filled them with candy, spider rings, rubber balls, yo-yo's, just silly little things. The one funny thing was we found these lollipops that the stick was an arm, and the candy part was the shoulder socket. I made little notes for those that said we wanted to give them a hand for all of their hard work. We made 4 of them, and they were a huge hit. Our room steward hugged the stuffing out of my husband and I.

On this cruise, I will be bringing some yarn and my crochet hook, so someone may wind up with an afghan. I can not sit still, and I am always fiddling, so I crochet a lot. I should be able to finish one on a 7 day cruise.

The phone cards are ALWAYS a huge hit. Another big thing that most of the employees enjoy are t-****s and hats with college names on them. We actually get on the ship with a few Harley-Davidson t-shirts from our local shop and hand them out, we buy 4 and usually wish we had more to give out.

Good luck thinking, and it's a nice thing to do...they usually go the extra mile to make sure we all have a wonderful time!

Hey, if you think of some things post them on here. May give us other ideas as well.

The phone cards are ALWAYS a huge hit. Another big thing that most of the employees enjoy are t-****s and hats with college names on them. We actually get on the ship with a few Harley-Davidson t-shirts from our local shop and hand them out, we buy 4 and usually wish we had more to give out.

Good luck thinking, and it's a nice thing to do...they usually go the extra mile to make sure we all have a wonderful time!

Hey, if you think of some things post them on here. May give us other ideas as well.

Thank you for responding and yes, I'm still thinking!! The phone card thing don't they need international?

Thank you for responding and yes, I'm still thinking!! The phone card thing don't they need international?

Yes, they have to be international phone cards. I know here those are pretty easy to find, most of our gas stations even carry them. Actually the one I stoped at last night you just put your money in and out pops the phone card, pretty easy and I know the crew love them!

• 3 weeks later...

On our last Ak Cruise last May, it was some of the crew members' first time on that route - however, they just didn't have the time off to wander around the ports, so we bought them Choc Candy Bars, hats with Alaska logo on them, t-shirts - and they were so happy to receive them from us.

We have also given out intern'l phone cards - very much appreciated by all.

Corkey

If you buy and international phone card in the States, it's only good calling FROM the states TO a foreign place.

Cash is still king--just give them extra money, and they can buy what they really need and want!

Could they not use them when the ship is in port like at Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, ect.

We have been giving them for a few years now and all the crew members seem very happy to have them but maybe not such a good idea. Hmmmm:confused: :confused:

If you buy and international phone card in the States, it's only good calling FROM the states TO a foreign place.

Cash is still king--just give them extra money, and they can buy what they really need and want!

I know it's very personal - but how much is too much or not enough - I know we have a guide line re: tips but just to give.... what is an amt that is not overly or not enough that it's embarassing... sorry, I just had to ask... Corkey

• 3 weeks later...

For years, I have brought gifts for the crew. Traditionally, I take bags of

these wonderful mango gummies for Guest Services, along with bags of

CA pistachios on another day. The same mango gummies, I put, with

dollar bills in little plastic bags, with a label that says, "Thanks for all your

hard work" and hand them out everywhere, in the dining room, as an extra

tip to the bartenders, etc. Over 70 cruises, people know that I'm on

board when they see them...they will even come up and ask, "Where are

those great candies?"

Another thing I take are small bags of dried mangoes - I live in Daly City, CA, the mecca of the Philippines in the San Francisco area. I put the little, '"thank you" label on them and hand them out to the Filipino crew

wherever I see them. You should see their faces light up.

I go to Bath and Body Works and stock up on the little hand creams when

they are on sale...when they introduce a new product, they will have the small bottles for $1 so I will buy a few cases...then I can give them out to the ladies. I will also buy nice ball point pens at Costco and give those out.

I have a jazz singer friend in SF who is absolutely fabulous. I get a list of the main officer's names and have her autograph her latest CDs for them, ie, captain, hotel director, F & B manger.....the phone cards are nice as well.

Carmen: those are great gift ideas -- esp the dried mangoes!! since most of the crew we get to know better than some are filipino's - of course I could make them some filipino goodies - but then I am lazy myself!! heehee!! I know when I see Danney next time, I will try to make him some desserts that I know how to make - I am not a good baker or cook, but I can try. Or a trip to the Asian market will be easier!

I usually give away bags of specialty candies/nuts, etc from Harry & David or other places like that and our stewards love them - if I know they have kids, I try to buy their kids t-shirts or candy too...

thanks for the ideas!! Corkey Carol

Carmen: those are great gift ideas -- esp the dried mangoes!! since most of the crew we get to know better than some are filipino's - of course I could make them some filipino goodies - but then I am lazy myself!! heehee!! I know when I see Danney next time, I will try to make him some desserts that I know how to make - I am not a good baker or cook, but I can try. Or a trip to the Asian market will be easier!

I usually give away bags of specialty candies/nuts, etc from Harry & David or other places like that and our stewards love them - if I know they have kids, I try to buy their kids t-shirts or candy too...

thanks for the ideas!! Corkey Carol

I always take Danney one of those large bags of dried mangoes from Costco. He also like the chocolate Hershey's kisses which I think he takes home to the Philippines. As for the other Filipino crew, I go to Manila Market which is near my house in Daly City - huge Filipine communiity here - and buy the smaller packages - they used to be $1.29/bag, have now gone up thirty cents more. I print labels with a heart, inside they say,

"Thanks for all your hard work", and I have my name, address and phone

as well. I buy the mango gummies from Malaysia from the wholesale

supplier and put them in smaller plastic bags which I label also.

Unfortunately, flying to Europe for the Legend, I am not going to be able to do gifts...just my friend's wonderful jazz CD for some of the officers, I thinks - and nice, slim stainless steel ballpoint pens for some of the regular crew, lightweight things like that.

I need room for clothes.

I always take Danney one of those large bags of dried mangoes from Costco. He also like the chocolate Hershey's kisses which I think he takes home to the Philippines. As for the other Filipino crew, I go to Manila Market which is near my house in Daly City - huge Filipine communiity here - and buy the smaller packages - they used to be $1.29/bag, have now gone up thirty cents more. I print labels with a heart, inside they say,

"Thanks for all your hard work", and I have my name, address and phone

as well. I buy the mango gummies from Malaysia from the wholesale

supplier and put them in smaller plastic bags which I label also.

Unfortunately, flying to Europe for the Legend, I am not going to be able to do gifts...just my friend's wonderful jazz CD for some of the officers, I thinks - and nice, slim stainless steel ballpoint pens for some of the regular crew, lightweight things like that.

I need room for clothes.

YOu are so generous!! and yes, I think we need to think of ourselves too - so clothes come first!! ha!ha!! my family lives in that area - mostly in San Bruno now... but we hardly to there cuz the traffic drives me nuts !! from Antioch to SF is about 1-1/2 hrs now, no matter what time or what day! used to be 45 min!! But we go to the Ranch 99 stores and we have a couple of Filipino markets here in Antioch -- I am 2nd generation so I try to cook filipino style but can't do as well as my cousins, aunt, etc... hubby came here from Manila 32 yrs ago - I should have pics to share with you -- don't know how to post those on these threads so I need to send to your email -- carfieldtnepo@comcast.net

One will be of Danney's nephew who was our waiter last May on our Serenade Ak cruise... he has the best personality, just like his uncle! Carol

The phone card thing is tricky. THEY know where to best get them, so you are better off giving them the cash so to not screw it up. Not every phone card works in every port. This I learned from an NCL crew member I dated for many years. He was limited to what he could use when he was docked in Miami. You also have to be careful with what you buy, as they dont' have a lot of room in their cabins. He referred to his cabin as a sardine can, and they can't afford alot of space.

Cash always works. You have to be careful culturally speaking, too, on gifts, and how that person's culture may perceive receiving a gift. Many of these people are from poorer countries and some view Americans as rich big wigs and may feel you are cheap by even giving them a small token.

Again, I am just sharing another spin on this topic, based on what he told me when I asked him about it once and it seemed to be a shared sentiment among quite a few.

Besides, what's the real motive of giving a gift to a crew member? A generous over the top gift is more likely to be perceived better than a bag of candy. For what you spend on the candy you could give them the money. These poor souls make a pittance for a living. Money speaks every language and transcends culture.

The best gift, IMO, is to write a letter to the Personnel director of the cruiseline, and go above and beyond the comment card..a letter gets put into a personne file and can be used for promotions, etc. The comment cards aren't shared always with staff and sometimes it's weeks and months before they are even read.

• 2 weeks later...

I was so happy to see this thread. I was on a few other threads and I was practically chastized for wanting to bring small gifts for our steward and others.

I would never give a gift in lieu of a tip, because I understand that they truly depend on the cash, but we love to bring gifts wherever we go.

I had started regretting that I had purchased many gifts to hand out while we were on our cruise, now I am excited again!

Thank you all for your great ideas!

59 looooong days to go!

I was so happy to see this thread. I was on a few other threads and I was practically chastized for wanting to bring small gifts for our steward and others.

I would never give a gift in lieu of a tip, because I understand that they truly depend on the cash, but we love to bring gifts wherever we go.

I had started regretting that I had purchased many gifts to hand out while we were on our cruise, now I am excited again!

Thank you all for your great ideas!

59 looooong days to go!

I will be on the Vision a month before you - I know the staff appreciate your gifts!! you are doing what you think if right and it makes you happy and your friends on the ship happy too! Corkey Carol

I will be on the Vision a month before you - I know the staff appreciate your gifts!! you are doing what you think if right and it makes you happy and your friends on the ship happy too! Corkey Carol

Yeay, I am so excited, I spend all of my extra time on these boards! Here's a question....We had originally thought about a full gift bag of goodies, but what do you think about a small gift everyday? Every day our steward can come in to see what we have left them.

Yeay, I am so excited, I spend all of my extra time on these boards! Here's a question....We had originally thought about a full gift bag of goodies, but what do you think about a small gift everyday? Every day our steward can come in to see what we have left them.

I am always on these boards too - except I lost this thread and glad I found it again - anway, that's a good idea - to give something everyday - gives your steward something to look forward to...

on some of our cruises, I would put werthers or dove candies on the animals that they make for us every day- like on the body or eyes, depending on what the animals were -- and tthe candies were for our steward - he would take them every day - at the last day he thanked me - I thought of it as a game - I still do it. However, we also give gifts - sometimes the crew aren't able to go ashore cuz they would rather rest, so we kinda' know what they want or need just from talking to them and buy it for them. The staff/crew love whatever you give them- they are very appreciative people. Corkey

post on my Cruisers from CA - you don't have to be from CA - so we can chat more often... just follow my threads ...Corkey

• 1 month later...

Two ideas that I think are the nicest. 1) Buy note cards and leave a thank you note and add an extra tip over the auto tip/service charge. The crew DO apperciate extra money the best.

Also, if you want to do something that is just thougthtful and sweet, buy some candy like a bag of Hereshey's kisses and leave a few of them. I know it is silly-but the stewards especially like that that you give them candy back!

Remember their quarters are very small, they share a room with other crew members, they have very little storage space-so gifts become cumbersome, however thoughtful of you. However, money does NOT!

Christmas Gifts

It happens every Yuletide,

The gifts that come my way,

Are often so outrageous,

I throw my hands up in dismay!

I don't know who decided,

That, at my age of sixty-four,

A gift card for Victoria's Secret,

Was something I'd adore!

My grandchild watched, excited,

As I unwrapped his gift to me,

"Massacre" by 50 Cent,

Not my hinted at CD.

My husband spends far too much,

On gifts I do not need,

There is always an item of jewelry,

No matter how much I plead.

Sometimes I get a sweater,

In a color I'd never wear,

Or, in a style, more suited for teens,

But, on me, it provokes a stare.

Some of my gifts are not even,

Those one could ever re-gift,

But thinking of recipients for them,

Always gives my spirits a lift!

This year, I've suggested to loved ones,

Our gift should be a nice dinner out,

Enjoying a meal and each other,

Is the best gift of all, there's no doubt.

Carmen Henesy

December 13, 2008

( please note that the author has no husband or

grandchild nor has she ever received annual
expensive pieces of jewelry )

Life has been hell of late. Just spent two days in the hospital at San Francisco General - my own hospital - I passed out at work...was unconscious for a full minute...banged my head on the floor. Ended up in the ER, with an abnormal EKG...there for about seven hours, then admitted to the cardiac unit. Had an angiogram - coronary ateries perfect but, when they checked out my leg vein, they accidentally cut into it with the guide wire, and cut loose a small piece of plaque so I had to have a stent inserted.

For the last ten days or so, I've been deathly ill with a cough - started out with a sore throat. That's what made me pass out. I was coughing so much, I couldn't catch my breath!!

I was supposed to go to GA Sat to spend three days with my mother, soon to be 85 but the doc wouldn't let me fly. What a bummer.

I must say, however, that I got exceptional care at my hospital - AND a private room.

Archived