allergies

snowbegone

We were on the Tahitian last week. We met a woman with severe food alergies. She said each evening at dinner they brought her menus for the next day. She selected what she wanted. The next day as she came to eat, she just gave her cabin number and they brought the food she had ordered.

They are very accommodating. You need to indicate on your cruise personalizer that you need a special diet. You will be prompted to fax a request letter to the dietary cooridnator for your ship. They will then confirm the diet. DH has a gluten allergy (wheat - and nearly everything is made with wheat somehow) and they did exactly as PP said - brought a menu to the table the night before for the next night and he picked a dish, and they made it without the wheat (used other binders such as corn startch for sauces, etc). If he didn't get the order in the night before, the maitre'd would meet us and look the menu for the night over with us, and let us know what would be acceptable with his diet. They were very helpful.

They are very acommadating and helpful.

Just let them know in advance, then speak with your head waiter and waiter upon arrival.

I actually blogged about a month or 2 ago about this great product called Select Wisely...you can email them for allergies and health issues they dont cover

you might find this website especially helpful to you...

http://www.selectwisely.com/

K.

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

Just let them know in advance, then speak with your head waiter and waiter upon arrival.

Actually, speak to the maitre'd when you fitst go to the dining room. He has the authority to be sure you get what you need and do not get what you must avoid. Yes, your waitstaff should know, but the maitre'd is the person in charge.

caribill..

with all due respect..

I know the position of the Maitre D.

I also know with with my mom's oyster/mussel allergy (think any seafood stock used as flavoring)

Bruno, Luigi, and Generoso among others have all said ... thanks for letting me know...but I really want you to speak with your headwaiter and waiter.

that's just been our experience in all of our years sailing.

If you are on fixed dining and want to change to anytime at all you will have to make sure your allergy is logged, and you still order your meal and have it sent down to the anytime dining restuarant, we were on sea Princess in March and someone we met wanted to eat with us and they sorted it our for them no problem.

caribill..

with all due respect..

I know the position of the Maitre D.

I also know with with my mom's oyster/mussel allergy (think any seafood stock used as flavoring)

Bruno, Luigi, and Generoso among others have all said ... thanks for letting me know...but I really want you to speak with your headwaiter and waiter.

that's just been our experience in all of our years sailing.

As it says on every menu in the dining rooms: "If you have any food related allergies or special dietary requirements, please make sure to contact only your Head Waiter or the Maitre d'Hotel."

So, either the head waiter of the maitre d' is the correct one to contact.

Just a rehash:

On Princess ships, there are two who actually serve the table -- Waiter (not Headwaiter) and Asst. Waiter. Then the Dining Room has a Headwaiter who goes around the whole dining room (usually in a white jacket). And at the entrance is the Maitre D most often at the "podium". Some ships dining rooms also have a Supervisor who works under the Headwaiter (usually light blue jacket/suit) and goes round the whole dining room.

Even though Princess asks you to fax in confirmation, make sure to confirm with the Head Waiter once you board. The front office and the crew of the ship often don't have adequate communication. But it's no big deal. Cruise lines are typically great for those with food allergies.

Archived