Casablanca?

CHACruiser

We are on the Constellation TA (9/9/08) which has Casablanca as a port on it's itinerary. If there is a Travel Advisory for an area....does the cruise ship stop at that port? If not, does the cruise ship select a different port to visit?

I'm on the crossing also...and so far the ship will dock in Casablanca. In the event of regional issues, we would be notified if this port is canceled. Sometimes the cruise line does select a different port, and at times it's just another sea day.

We were on Century t/a last December and were supposed to call on three ports in Morocco. We made it to Agadir but Casablanca and the other port (which eludes me now) were cancelled several weeks prior to the cruise. If I remember correctly, Cadiz (Spain) was subsituted for one port and we had an additional sea day. As an aside, the other day I checked X's 2009 t/a itineraries and noticed that Casablanca does not appear as a port of call. Hope you're one of the lucky ones who actually get there.

We were in Casablanca in June on the Grand Princess. We took a ship's tour and were told to keep very close to our guide. Although the city was beautiful it is a port I would never go back to. We were warned not to do anything on our own as you are not safe. Apparently some Brits told us blonde women keep getting abducted, never to be seen again!

Fisherwoman

We were in Casablanca in June on the Grand Princess. We took a ship's tour and were told to keep very close to our guide. Although the city was beautiful it is a port I would never go back to. We were warned not to do anything on our own as you are not safe. Apparently some Brits told us blonde women keep getting abducted, never to be seen again!

Fisherwoman

We were told the same thing about Tunisia and DW is a blonde. On our first cruise stop there we took the ship's tour of Tunis. On our second we did a private tour with a taxi and had no problem.

I did get an offer of seven camels for her though. Anyway that's what the joke was about after our stop there.

hahaha!

People, that is just a joke they tell you in all Maghreb countries, they know that some Europeans and Americans actually believe this and use it as a joke.

No blondes are abducted in Morrocco, Tunesia or Egypt...:rolleyes:

Casablanca is not a dangerous city, the guide told you this so that you wouldn't wander off. A good trick.

It are these "stories" that keep us Westerners distrusting North African countries, they are not thieves, rapists, abductors , terrorists, no they are extremely friendly, hospitable people generally who are very glad to have you there and help their growing tourist industry.

Me too had the offer of selling my girlfriend for 50 camels... They say that to everyone, it is a joke and a compliment! (depending on how many camels they offer...:D )

hahaha!

People, that is just a joke they tell you in all Maghreb countries, they know that some Europeans and Americans actually believe this and use it as a joke.

No blondes are abducted in Morrocco, Tunesia or Egypt...:rolleyes:

Casablanca is not a dangerous city, the guide told you this so that you wouldn't wander off. A good trick.

It are these "stories" that keep us Westerners distrusting North African countries, they are not thieves, rapists, abductors , terrorists, no they are extremely friendly, hospitable people generally who are very glad to have you there and help their growing tourist industry.

Me too had the offer of selling my girlfriend for 50 camels... They say that to everyone, it is a joke and a compliment! (depending on how many camels they offer...:D )

All well and good... But, these 'stories' have some historical truth - that isn't very ancient at all. If I was in rural mountain Maroc, and I had an offer to sell a blonde woman travelling companion - I wouldn't joke around with it.

The islamic world is largely misrepresented and people there pride themselves on hospitality. But Morrocans have been involved in some of the more spectacular terrorism incidents, honor killings of women occur in the Mahgreb and Mid-East (and unmarried western women travelling with men are NOT honorable in the male mind of much of the region; 'open game').

Sure - urban areas are cosmopolitan - but they are urban... Rural areas are generally nicer in a community and hospitality sense but traditions need to be respected, and security is nothing to be taken for granted in Africa.

Back in the ancient times of the mid-70's a lithe teenage (dope head) school buddy of mine toured Maroc with older brothers and adventure in mind; he was kidnapped for a couple days, and homosexually gang raped. Pretty soon thereafter, he spent a couple months in a state side psyche ward sorting it out (I visited him there). He wasn't a happy camper.

Tangier has been cleaned up in recent years, but it earned its reputation back in the day...

In looking over my post, I think I was a bit overly dramatic.

I'd tour Casablanca on my own or travel the country solo (male)... I did 'back in the day'. Marocco has a very nice rail system. A good guide would enhance any one day visit though.

It just seemed a bit fancy free to say that any city of 3 Million is 'absolutely' danger free. There's no city that size that doesn't warrant caution.

Generally, the things one needs to take into consideration in the Arab world are just a bit different rather than more threatening per se. There are still some remote, provincial, and fairly 'wild frontier' areas in Marocco on the south west borders. But those aren't areas a cruiser's going to get to though, and the main cities and public transit just requires the same level of caution you'd exercise anywhere.

woodofpine

I don't think that you were being "dramatic", just telling it as you experienced it through a friend.

As a woman, I appreciate knowing the lay of the land in case I find myself in that particular country one day.

As a former worker on psychiatric units, I can appreciate all too well what your young friend went through in the aftermath of his ordeal.

This is part of life, and I appreciate people who can speak straight about deep and heavy things.

I have always found your posts to be informative, sensible and laced with good humor.

On the up side, I think that I am finally past the point where my DH will be offered ANY camels for me - well, maybe a pack of camel cigarettes - LOL. (Good thing he doesn't smoke anymore!)

Susan

Archived