PJs and Sea Sickness Medication

Livabeth

Hi everyone,

Our October cruise is getting closer and I'm already making my packing lists. I have two questions as I prepare for our cruise with our two dd:

1. Do you recommend summer type PJs or long sleeve/pant PJs?? My girls prefer summer short PJs, but I'm not sure how cold the cabins are and I don't want to pack both types.

2. This is my two daughters first cruise and I want to be prepared if sea sickness hits them. What have others used that have worked well and has not upset their tummy or made them sleepy.

Thanks in advance for the great advise.

Livabeth

You will be able to adjust the thermostat in the cabin. I would suspect that if they prefer summer PJ's that they will be glad that you brought them for the cruise.

Not sure what your childrens ages are and that is a factor here. When our daughter was very young she was prone to motion sickness. So, at a young age when we cruised we gave her ginger to chew and that worked well. As she got older we gave her bonine a couple of times during the cruise. But age is a factor. You should also call you children doctor for his/her recommendation.

Keith

As Keith says, you will be able to adjust temp. in the cabin.

Gravol is available for children and is available in chewable form. ( Gravol is not available in the US). Best bet is to check with your Doctor.

I take Gravol for vertigo but find it strong so I only take 1/4 tablet which stops the quesiness. A whole tablet would put me to sleep for 8 hours.

Kathy:)

Our girls are aged 9 and 5. I don't know if Bonine is available in Canada. I know that Gravol is, but i'm concerned with them being too sleepy. As well, is ginger tablets safe for kids?? I had read somewhere else to be careful with this.

Thanks for your responses so far.

Livabeth

Our girls are aged 9 and 5. I don't know if Bonine is available in Canada. I know that Gravol is, but i'm concerned with them being too sleepy. As well, is ginger tablets safe for kids?? I had read somewhere else to be careful with this.

Thanks for your responses so far.

Livabeth

Livabeth, best bet is to see a Doctor and get advice on what best to give the children. Bonine to my knowledge is not available in a chewable tablet hence one would take a whole pill; Gravol is availabe in chewable tablets so it is easy to break into smaller quantities. I think there is a Nurse's hotline in Ontario. I will see if I can find the phone number but I still recommend you ask their Doctor.

Kathy:)

After reading some of the answers I can't stress enough to talk with your family doctor. We are not in the position to give advice not even knowing your childrens ages. Yes, we can share what we have given our children over the years but when we first made the decision as to what to bring it was based on a discussion with a doctor. And just like adults, some items will work better for others than other items.

Keith

Thanks for your advise. I agree that I should check with my doctor since not everything will work the same for each child.

I actually did ask the doctor when my girls had their annual physical a couple of months ago and she said that they should have a problem and not to worry. She said that she had taken her own kids on a cruise and didn't have a problem. I didn't push the question with her ... perhaps I should have. I think I will call and get advise if possible.

Thanks again.

We just got off a cruise with 4 children (not all mine lol) and we found that green apples, ginger ale and ginger snaps (cookies) cured any problems for the kids (and most adults). Yes they do make chewable bonine etc. but I am nervous about giving that stuff to children so I relied on the more natural approach. You will find on the cruise that they offer lots of dishes with ginger in it and green apples. I found that you can also get the apples from room service if you ask.

Archived