A Request For New Regions To Explore via Windstar

inaflash

I know it's been said in threads before but I figured a bold topic where former Windstar passengers to discuss their frustration might be appropriate... Especially if the execs do browse every now and then.

Just like everyone else, I receive mailing after mailing... sometimes email after email of next years (or beyond) cruise schedules from Windstar. EVERY time I hope that when I open it up they will give me an exciting new destination. EVERY time I am disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't sailed everywhere on them but their interesting European cruises are just out of my price range given the need for air and a decent pre/post/2 cruise package to make the vacation well rounded. I have sailed in the caribbean and costa rica, both young, vibrant, and adventure based destinations. Since the end of Wind Song, I'm pretty sure the regional list hasn't changed (beyond Istambul..).

Where would I love to see the beautiful ships based themselves out of for a season?

- Tahiti again

- China-Singapore region

- New Zealand (2 itineraries, north and south island)

- Australia (Brisbane - Cairns/Cairns - Darwin)

- Patagonia

- Iceland

- *** EXTENDED 10+ day trips, like the holiday cruises from a couple of years ago.

Please Windstar... Give your Alumni itineraries that will make us put you on our calenders. There are only so many of us and many, I feel like, are just waiting for new locations.

This is one of the reasons Star Clippers wins over some of Windstar's faithful alumni -- those who want a small ship that actually SAILS but have "been there done that" with Windstar's itineraries. We need some new imaginative choices!

We have made this comment on the questionnaire at the end of every cruise.

We live in Europe and have cruised all the way from Istanbul to Barcelona. Some sections 3 or 4 times. At least Wind Surf changed its ports of call slightly last year.

We love the ships. We love the cruises. But, like you, we are fed up with the same ports of call.

And for those of us who live in Europe perhaps Norway and the Baltic for a change from the Med.

You don't have to be from Europe to agree with this suggestion.

We just came back from a Baltic cruise on the Regatta, but would have done it on one of the Windstar ships if it had been there. We saw the Sea Cloud in St. Petersburg. Can you imagine the great publicity Windstar would have if one of their ships were to dock right near the center of the city?

How about the fjords of Norway? Perhaps start in Copenhagen, Oslo, up to Bergen and from there a bit more north. Or are the ships getting too old for those kind of passages?

You don't have to be from Europe to agree with this suggestion.

We just came back from a Baltic cruise on the Regatta, but would have done it on one of the Windstar ships if it had been there. We saw the Sea Cloud in St. Petersburg. Can you imagine the great publicity Windstar would have if one of their ships were to dock right near the center of the city?

How about the fjords of Norway? Perhaps start in Copenhagen, Oslo, up to Bergen and from there a bit more north. Or are the ships getting too old for those kind of passages?

One of the Windstar ships (I think it was Wind Surf) tried it a few years ago, out of Harwich, England. I don't think it was very successful.

One of the Windstar ships (I think it was Wind Surf) tried it a few years ago, out of Harwich, England. I don't think it was very successful.

I think the problem they had was the time between ports. From what I recall, the speed of Windstar made if very difficult to make some of the ports.

We are booked on an Oceania Baltic cruise next year because Windstar does not have that itinerary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We would probably be on Windstar at least once a year or more if they developed new cruises. We like port intensive cruises, dislike "at sea" days.

Would love to visit the Baltic area, port intensive Spain with overnight stop long enough to visit Madrid (skip the the party islands,) and Portugal; west coast of France (how about an overnight stay near Bordeaux?) All Italy from Venice to Florence? Ireland and Great Britain. The Amazon. New England and St Lawrence Seaway. Oregon, Washington coast, Puget Sound and Vancouver Island area? California coast from San Diego, Catalina, Santa Barbara, San Franciso, coastal wine country? All Australia from Cairns to Sydney to Melbourne? All New Zealand? How about food and wine theme cruises with special trips to wineries? If they can find ports that are affordable and suitable for their ships, there are so many folks that would be there time and again. Having done the entire Mediterranean and northern Carribean, we are looking at other cruise lines with a small passenger load to visit places we haven't been.:confused:

Way back when, Windstar offered a Tahitian cruise. I dreamed of taking that cruise, but Windstar moved out of Tahiti (to Costa Rica I think...) So we cruised on Renaissance (now Oceania) and it was really disappointing. I wanted wet landings, wonderful beaches and the sports platform that Windstar provides in the Caribbean - but on Renaissance there was very little beach access. What a shame...Tahiti has gorgeous beaches, just perfect for a Windstar cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished Wind Spirt October cruise (Istanbul-Athens) and it was announced at the Captains Dinner that the commitments made by Holland America in behalf of Windstar for ports of call are expiring and new ports are now being explored. Hopefully the Ambassadors Group & Vships gets this planned & booked for the 2010 schedule!

• 2 weeks later...

During our cruise from Istanbul to Rome, the captain mentioned that they are considering new itineraries and said their had been mention of cruises of the Southern Turkish coasts to Israel, to Egypt, and the Canary Islands and Morocco.

He also mentioned that one of the difficulties in returning to Tahiti is that there is no longer anywhere to drydock every 2 years and that the cost of supplies is prohibitive. He mentioned most of the bigger cruise lines will charter a 747 to bring both passengers and supplies to save money.

• 3 weeks later...

We cruised on the Wind Surf a few years ago from Copenhagan to St. Petersburg, ( our only trip on that ship ), as we perfer the smaller ships. It was a very interesting cruise with a diverse group of passesngers. We have been faithful passengers with Windstar, but have grown tired of the same routes. If there is no change soon, we will have to try some other line. Anyone have sugestions? No tuxs or evening gowns, please. Been there, done that. Would love to go somewhere different.:)

We cruised on the Wind Surf a few years ago from Copenhagan to St. Petersburg, ( our only trip on that ship ), as we perfer the smaller ships. It was a very interesting cruise with a diverse group of passesngers. We have been faithful passengers with Windstar, but have grown tired of the same routes. If there is no change soon, we will have to try some other line. Anyone have sugestions? No tuxs or evening gowns, please. Been there, done that. Would love to go somewhere different.:)

We were in the same position. Have sailed on Windstar 5 times and could not find an itinerary that was new. We had the same constraint, no tux / evening gown, relatively small ship, good service etc.

We have booked a Stockholm to Dover cruise on Oceania this summer. They tend to have more of the 12-14 day cruises so the price is typically double the Windstar price - but comes down to the same price per day.

Hope that Windstar does start new routes so we can go back to the ships that we love.

I also agree that Windstar needs more options. We have done 8 trips with them ( Istanbul-Athens, Dover- Lisbon, Venice-Rome, Costa Rica through the Canal, 4 in the Caribbean) and there is almost nowhere else to go with them.

We are now back to trying Oceania for the second time - South America on the Insignia over the holidays. No formal nights, tuxes, etc. We liked our Med trip with them (Lisbon- Rome) back in 2004 so trying again.

Way back when, Windstar offered a Tahitian cruise. I dreamed of taking that cruise, but Windstar moved out of Tahiti (to Costa Rica I think...) So we cruised on Renaissance (now Oceania) and it was really disappointing. I wanted wet landings, wonderful beaches and the sports platform that Windstar provides in the Caribbean - but on Renaissance there was very little beach access. What a shame...Tahiti has gorgeous beaches, just perfect for a Windstar cruise!

You might try Star Clipper - we did Singapore-Malaysia and Thailand with them 2 years ago and there are lots of wet landings and water sports. Very fun but not as upscale as Windstar. We did the Star Flyer with about 120 passengers. I have not been to Tahiti but it is hard to imagine more beautiful beaches than we saw in Thailand!

We would probably be on Windstar at least once a year or more if they developed new cruises. We like port intensive cruises, dislike "at sea" days.

Would love to visit the Baltic area, port intensive Spain with overnight stop long enough to visit Madrid (skip the the party islands,) and Portugal; west coast of France (how about an overnight stay near Bordeaux?) All Italy from Venice to Florence? Ireland and Great Britain. The Amazon. New England and St Lawrence Seaway. Oregon, Washington coast, Puget Sound and Vancouver Island area? California coast from San Diego, Catalina, Santa Barbara, San Franciso, coastal wine country? All Australia from Cairns to Sydney to Melbourne? All New Zealand? How about food and wine theme cruises with special trips to wineries? If they can find ports that are affordable and suitable for their ships, there are so many folks that would be there time and again. Having done the entire Mediterranean and northern Carribean, we are looking at other cruise lines with a small passenger load to visit places we haven't been.:confused:

I second all of that! Our best Windstar trip was a repositioning when they quit doing the Baltic back in fall of 2003 and we boarded in Dover, England and went across the Channel and down the coasts of France, Spain and Portugal - great ports you hardly ever see on any cruise line. We need more like that. It included visits to the Cognac area of France and Oporto (where they make port) in Portugal.

Archived