Denali is out! 8/12/08 @ 11:43 a.m.

cruise junky joan

We could see the mountain from Talkeetna last Friday - even though it was rainy and very overcast in Denali Park the same day.

Hi Nancy, how was your trip? we leave on saturday to start ours.

ellen

It was a GREAT trip! I'll try to get a trip review done before you leave.

I'm very glad to hear your trip was great. would love to read your review! you wrote a great review the last time you were in alaska.

how was the weather? been reading that it's been cold and rainy and need to dress in layers.

i remember you writing that you were doing the shuttle in denali...to the eielson visitor's center. we are doing the same. how was that?

ellen

I'm very glad to hear your trip was great. would love to read your review! you wrote a great review the last time you were in alaska.

how was the weather? been reading that it's been cold and rainy and need to dress in layers.

i remember you writing that you were doing the shuttle in denali...to the eielson visitor's center. we are doing the same. how was that?

ellen

We were very fortunate to not have much rain on the cruise. When it did rain - it was mostly a light drizzle. You do need to dress in layers, and I wore them all on Hubbard Glacier day- especially since it was a cold, misty, and foggy morning.

We had more rain on the land trip than we did on the cruise. The weather was beautiful when we were in Talkeetna, but it started raining as soon as we got to the Denali Park area. It was raining lightly when we began our bus tour to the Eielson Center at 6 a.m. By the time we got to Polychrome Pass, the clouds were obscuring much of the scenery...and then it snowed! When we arrived at Eielson for our ~ 70-minute break, you could barely see anything beyond a few feet around the building! There was definitely no view of the mountain from within the park - at least not from Eielson. As we returned to the Wilderness Access Center, the visibility improved and it wasn't snowing.

I had been pretty ambivalent about going to Denali, but did so because it was something I felt I ought to do rather than something I wanted to do. I had read SO much about seeing the wildlife and "the mountain" - and very little about the gorgeous scenery on the drive there or inside the park. We had very good wildlife viewing, but even if we hadn't seen one animal - the trip to Denali Park would've been worthwhile just for the scenery. I hope you'll enjoy it, too!

Thanks for saying that. I also felt it was a block I must check but now I am getting excited about going. We Arrive in Anchorage, from our Spirit cruise on Sept 3rd and leave for Denali on the 4th. We want to do a rafting trip but I am so afraid of the weather that we have not reserved it. We have never done this before. Another block to check!!!!!

Hi Nancy,

glad to hear that denali is still worth seeing even if the weather is not good. can't believe you had snow. it has been a crazy summer.

Just curious, did you take pictures in the rain? i'm trying to figure out how to protect the camera and take picures at the same time.

ellen

Just curious, did you take pictures in the rain? i'm trying to figure out how to protect the camera and take picures at the same time.

ellen

Someone posted the link below as an idea of how to protect your camera in the rain. I used the 2 gallon ziploc that did not have the slider closure as you see here. It worked great and I got many comments on how clever I was. On our shuttle we did put the windows down when there were photo opportunities. We also had a drizzly day, but not a foggy day. The vastness of the park is amazing. However, from a scenery standpoint, we have other favorite National Parks.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/

Archived