Fans in Cabins

Southernbelle73

Does anyone know if I can take my personal fan with me on the Spirit in November or will they have one available if I request it? Thanks

Yes, I'm pretty sure they'll let you book a cruise with your significant other. ;)

Perhaps she should hold out for the personal fan the Spirit has available.. he could be an upgrade! :p

If there's a Mr. Southernbelle.. I'm just joshin'.

If NCL starts offering this kind of upgrade, I don't want to read the "reviews" people will post here.;)

I was able to get an upsell to a personal fan on my last cruise. Turns out we had to wait forever to turn it on. Luckily they gave us a buzzer so we knew when it was our turn. Then the fun began.

It gave out the most boring and unattractive breeze you could imagine. I am not a wind snob by any means, but this was worse than going to Lowe's to get a free breeze - which we do on those really hot days.

We did talk with the Hotel Director and he told us they were having some problems with the fans. Seems it has something to do with the rough seas. If we had booked a room on a lower level, the rocking would not have bothered the reverse osmosis portion of the fan assembly.

I did hear that some people brought their own duct tape that partially solved the problem. Others bought Duct Tape through the ship only to find out that their OBC could not be used to pay for it. You should seen them lined up at the reception desk raising hell.

NCL really should notify the passengers in advance of these issues.

I was able to get an upsell to a personal fan on my last cruise. Turns out we had to wait forever to turn it on. Luckily they gave us a buzzer so we knew when it was our turn. Then the fun began.

It gave out the most boring and unattractive breeze you could imagine. I am not a wind snob by any means, but this was worse than going to Lowe's to get a free breeze - which we do on those really hot days.

We did talk with the Hotel Director and he told us they were having some problems with the fans. Seems it has something to do with the rough seas. If we had booked a room on a lower level, the rocking would not have bothered the reverse osmosis portion of the fan assembly.

I did hear that some people brought their own duct tape that partially solved the problem. Others bought Duct Tape through the ship only to find out that their OBC could not be used to pay for it. You should seen them lined up at the reception desk raising hell.

Hilarious!

Garycarla -

Very nice, love it, am still chuckling.

I bet there was a lot of, pardon me, venting going on at Reception?

Let me finish your post, Jay... "Ba Da Boom."

He's here all week, folks.. Try the salmon, and don't forget to tip your waitresses!

You asked about taking a FAN onboard. All of the posts seem to follow in logical order from that - yes? You do have to read all of them, or else it does appear it jumps way off track.

PS - As mentioned, you should have no trouble taking a fan, unless of course you ask somebody on the ship and I can tell you that the answer may well be No.

Apparently I am having a blond moment because I can't for the life of me figure out what I wrote in my original post to get on this topic... Please explain....

Did I say some code word in the cruising world that I didn't know about?:rolleyes:

Don't feel bad....I think I'm having a senior moment (and I'm not quite a senior yet) because I'm not getting this either. :confused:

It's always interesting to see how a thread gets off track or hijacked! :D

Just sit back and enjoy the ride.....hopefully this all makes sense in the next few posts! :)

Apparently I am having a blond moment because I can't for the life of me figure out what I wrote in my original post to get on this topic... Please explain....

Did I say some code word in the cruising world that I didn't know about?:rolleyes:

No special code. You just have to think outside the box, i.e. multiple definitions of the word "fan." I never travel without mine, but I prefer an NCL cheerleader.

thanks for a good chuckle. Did you gripe about the conditioner?

Nita

• Administrators
Oh, thanks for trying to explain.

LOL at "trying." ;) That implies you still don't quite get it (I didn't either at first). The word "fan" is a homograph -- a word which is spelled the same every time, but has multiple meanings. One of them is a shortened form of "fanatic," and is used in sentences like "He's a Yankees' fan." So folks took the "personal fan" thing with its other meaning and went to town making jokes about you taking along someone who is a "fan" of you. [sorry if that was more detail than you needed/wanted -- it's the educator in me; I thought perhaps you really didn't realize what the other posters meant, and that it was all in good fun]

Since I'm of a certain age and require moving air at all times or I'm miserably unhappy, I knew you meant the definition of fan as "a device for moving air." :) I always travel with a small (about 6" across the blades) fan, which I can either plug in or operate with batteries. However, I also always request a fan from the cabin steward and so far I'm at 100% on receiving a good quality basic fan -- sometimes a box fan, sometimes an oscillating fan with a diameter about 12" or so. But I still take my teeny one as a back up, just in case. :)

Have a great cruise!

• Administrators
Ha! Yeah, thanks for ..... "trying"...... cause its still an inside joke to a few of you, and the rest of us "blondes" or "seniors" are still scratching our heads.... :confused:

:) Hopefully my post above helped a bit with that -- I fall into all those categories (well, more silver than blonde these days) plus a few more, so I feel the urge to try to help.

PS, the other jokes about the quality of the air blown by the fan and so forth are kind of a hodgepodge of some common Cruise Critic complaint posts.

Archived