Best idea to transfer pictures

catskier

Will be on a Seabourn cruise, I am sure we will take a million pictures. Generally most of my travels I do not exceed my memory in the camera.

I feel I might on a 11 day holiday. I do not feel like carrying my laptop across Europe. I know Seabourn has computers on board, has anyone used this to download pictures onto a c/d? I prefer not to buy another memory stick, as I will never use it again, also we will be bringing a his and hers camera. Any feed back or suggestions?

Thank you

Dawn

I have no idea if you can use the onboard computers to burn pics onto a cd......somehow I doubt it, but may be wrong. I always take my laptop with me to download my pics but agree that its probably not worth that extra luggage for just 11 days. I think an extra card for your camera would the easiest and cheapest way...who knows if you may use it again anyway....what about on another Seabourn cruise?? :D I have just bought an extra card for my Canon digital SLR, as my next trip is only 2 weeks and dont want to carry my laptop.......last card I bought (2 years ago) was $80....now they are only around $30 (thats in Oz money of course) so by far the easiest and cheapest choice.

I would bring CD's with me and another memory card. If you can't use the seabourn computers to burn cd's then maybe a fellow passenger would let you burn pictures on a cd using their computer.

I know you know this but memory cards do go bad, so while you can bring another memory card with you to spread out some of your pictures the reality is that unless you go back and forth each day you run the risk of losing quite a few pictures.

Keith

On my my last cruise, a passenger wanted to copy the photos from his camera card onto a CD to share his photos with another passenger, and several of the Officers volunteered. They asked if he had a blank CD, and when he didn't, they used one of their own and downloaded it for him! "Ask and you shall receive" is the service I always find on Seabourn! They move mountains to help out a passenger!

On another cruise, a passenger loaded all the photos taken by passengers that wanted to share them from each excursion and burned a CD copy of all the photos for anyone that wanted it. That was fabulous for the few people that couldn't go due to health or walking issues as well as those that aren't camera friendly.

Seabourn passengers always watch out for each other and treat you like family.

If the Seabourn computers let you down load to a CD. You would have to have access to a usb port and I don't think passengers are able to do that. I bring my laptop and lots of Cd's and as a favor to other passengers i let them use my computer with my assistance. A better idea is to bring a jump drive. Much better than a CD. Works faster and much safer I would get an 8 gig drive they are less than 100.00

If the Seabourn computers let you down load to a CD. You would have to have access to a usb port and I don't think passengers are able to do that. I bring my laptop and lots of Cd's and as a favor to other passengers i let them use my computer with my assistance. A better idea is to bring a jump drive. Much better than a CD. Works faster and much safer I would get an 8 gig drive they are less than 100.00 as a suggestion don't try and mail to many pictures home the seabourn computers are very very slow for up loading

I agree :) Don't use the onboard internet to mail pictures because it will take you years (of work after your cruise!), nowadays memory cards are very cheap, you can buy a 4GB card for less then $25.

Otherwise just bring some CD's and the Computer Systems Officer can always have a look for you!

But remember that a CD is 700MB and a new memory stick is 4000MB!

Save the effort and buy a memory stick ;)

This is with regard to picture taking, not downloading: when I went on my first Seabourn cruise to the Caribbean, I took several memory cards with me. Some of the islands are very similar looking, so I labeled each of the tiny plastic cases the memory cards came in with the name of the island. That way I didn't have to scratch my head and say "was that St. Martin or St. Lucia???"

If I used one card many days, I would take a picture of a piece of paper with that day's date on it, before taking any more pictures.

Now you have to remember, I'm in my late 50's *lol* so I need all the help I can get!

Jane

I know Seabourn has computers on board, has anyone used this to download pictures onto a c/d? I prefer not to buy another memory stick, as I will never use it again, also we will be bringing a his and hers camera. Any feed back or suggestions?

Thank you

Dawn

Dawn -

Whichever way you end up transferring your pix, if you don't bring your own laptop then I recommend bringing your card reader and card reader driver CD -- JUST IN CASE the other laptop does not automatically recognize the card reader. Newer laptops should automatically recognize most.

Marga

Why don't you get a "multimedia storage device" or "digital photo storage device"? You simply insert the camera memory card in it and it downloads to the device. No need for a computer. When you get home you can download from the device to your computer.

Look at:

http://www.all-things-photography.com/digital-photo-storage-devices.html

There are several brands. Beats paying for computer time on board!

If I haven't had tooooo much fun the night before, I usually take a photo of the map and details page provided for the port we are visiting, then can easily sort into daily 'folders' with the name of the port of call. Otherwise - they all tend to blur together after I get home. Must be all that wonderful, never ending champagne....

How am I going to survive my next cruise on an "unnamed ship" without all that never ending champagne! I am suffering already! :(

Hi Lorraine,

Here are some photos of what to expect. Doesn't look too bad at all.

My sister went on a 5 day cruise from Singapore last December:

Back on topic, we always take one of those hand held thingies that store 40gb or so. This time we are going to take the laptop as well. I think it will be worth it for 8 weeks on board.

Cheers,

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I had a bit of a look (on dial up) so only saw a couple of pics....my "10 hour a month wireless broadband" has run out for this month, but in another 5 days I can use it again! :D Look forward to seeing ALL the pics then...we have booked a Grand Suite, so lots of room and a BIG balcony....but no "free" champagne!!

Looks like I will just buy more memory sticks.

8weeks on a cruise, how hard you must work, good for you. At that point I would carry my laptop.

I loved your pictures Grannylorr, you have been everywhere. I have travel to many places, mostly USA, but you are doing something right.

PS I love champagne.

Dawn

Archived