2-year old in sofa bed

CA27

My 2-year old daughter normally sleeps in a crib, and we had planned to bring her pack-n-play on our upcoming cruise. The problem is that she's too tall for it these days, so it looks like we'll have to use the sofa bed.

Since she moves a lot while she's sleeping, I'm concerned about her falling off the bed. Has anyone had a similar situation? Any advice on keeping her on the bed?

TIA

What ship?

There are some ways to keep her on the sofa bed on some ships, you can actually turn it around to face the wall.

On others, there is enough space to just put the mattress on the floor of the cabin, if she rolls, she won't go that far. ;)

But what ship, what category? We might be able to answer the question better if we knew those two things. :)

We turn the couch so that it faces the bed that way if my son (4) wants to roll he rolls onto the big bed. (So far on 6 cruises it has worked) (We leave for our 7th in 23 days)

We have done this on Carnival, NCL Celebrity and Holland….

They can also provide a crib for you. It is a metal crib that collapses during the day.

You may wish to consider this option.

Catrin

The problem with that is that it might the same size as our pack-n-play, thus making it too small for her. She's rather tall for her age, 36" roughly.

When DS was two and three, we put his collapsible bed rail from his bed at home in our largest suitcase and slid it under the seat cushion (mattress) of the sofa bed. Here's a photo.... http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1040722286037468272hhPXdy It worked great. Even now at 8 1/2, he's a rambunctious sleeper who constantly tosses, turns and sits up/plops over in his sleep. Despite all of his wiggling, he remained safely on the couch throughout two cruises using the bed rail.

I'm having a similar dilema and called Carnival today to ask if they had bed rails for the lil' ones (which they don't). We have a category 8C "1 Upper" room on the Triumph coming up in a couple of weeks. The lady I spoke with (who didn't seem to be too experienced) said that the uppers have a built in bedrail. Has anyone ever seen an "upper" and could offer any inside info on whether or not I should go ahead and pack our son's bed rail?

I'm having a similar dilema and called Carnival today to ask if they had bed rails for the lil' ones (which they don't). We have a category 8C "1 Upper" room on the Triumph coming up in a couple of weeks. The lady I spoke with (who didn't seem to be too experienced) said that the uppers have a built in bedrail. Has anyone ever seen an "upper" and could offer any inside info on whether or not I should go ahead and pack our son's bed rail?

They do have a built in bed rail, but pending on how old your son is and how he sleeps (does he move around alot), I don't know if you should put him up there.

My 8 year old, yes, I could trust her in an upper. My 4 year old, no way, her mattress goes on the floor. Or someone else sleeps in the upper and she stays in the main bed.

The "built in bed rail" is not that big.

Our DD is the same age and she no longer fits in the Pack n play, the cribs they use on Carnival are even smaller than a pack-n-play so she definitely doesnt fit. One cruise we turned the sofabed around to face the wall and she did fine. The next cruise we just lined the floor next to the sofabed with pillows. She did slide out once and spent part of the night sleeping on the pillows on the floor. The sofabed really isnt that far off of the ground so its very similar to a toddler bed.

Julie

Hi there - can anyone tell me if the sofa beds in the junior suites of the Explorer of the Seas can be turned to face the wall? DS will be 2 months shy of being 3 yrs old and will be sleeping on the sofa somehow. I was hoping to turn it to the wall but are there other options on this ship if that doesn't work?

Thanks!

we took our 2 year old son on NCL Jewel last weekend and he was fine in the sofa bed. The cabin was so small that the sofa bed was right next to our bed and it ended up looking like we had one huge sized King. We took him on another ship a few months earlier just after he had gone into a 'big bed' at home and that only had pullman berths so we brough a 'ready bed' with us. Is this something you have heard of? It is an inflatable mattress with an integral cover and sheet on it. My son has one these with his favourite cartoon character on it and he couldn't wait to jump in each night. It was great and packed up into a small carry bag.

There's also a product called BedBugz inflatable bed rails. They don't need a box spring and fit queen and king size mattresses. They look like they would work well for travel, since you just have to blow them up. They sell them on numerous sites, including Target.com. this is the official mfgr site:

http://www.toddlercoddler.com/other_products/BedBugz/bedbugz.html

I made something similar out of a rolled up foam mattress topper for ds bed at home, and it worked well. This product is very similar looking. Obviously a foam one wouldn't travel well though. ;)

hth!

I am glad you asked about this! My daughter will be 3 by the time we sail on the Carnival Glory in May '09. Right now she is still in a crib, even though she is close to 36" tall, so I had some concerns about the sofa bed, too.

I was also going to suggest the inflatable bed rails that All4fun1 mentioned. I saw them in the One Step Ahead catalog, but don't remember how much they were.

Turning the sofa bed to face the wall is a good idea, too. But I'm worried my little monkey might wake up before us and get hurt trying to climb over the back of the sofa.

Hi there - can anyone tell me if the sofa beds in the junior suites of the Explorer of the Seas can be turned to face the wall? DS will be 2 months shy of being 3 yrs old and will be sleeping on the sofa somehow. I was hoping to turn it to the wall but are there other options on this ship if that doesn't work?

Thanks!

I don't think this is an option on RCCL, that's why I asked which ship. ;)

There are 2 kinds of sofa beds on a RCCL ship. One that just folds down and makes a single bed. And one that folds out completly and makes a full sized bed (almost queen) for 2. Does your JS sleep 3 or 4? If it sleeps 4 (and has no pullman) then you have a full sized sofa bed. I didn't worry when my kids slept in that. It was low and being so big, they had alot of wiggle room.

If your JS sleeps 3 (max), then the couch makes a single bed. I would probably try to take a bed rail in that case.

I think ours sleeps 4. It has no pullman and my Mom and Dad have the cabin right next door with the same layout and they're going to be 4 adults. So I think we'll be okay. I'm sure we'll make out somehow.

Thanks for all the input!

I don't think this is an option on RCCL, that's why I asked which ship. ;)

There are 2 kinds of sofa beds on a RCCL ship. One that just folds down and makes a single bed. And one that folds out completly and makes a full sized bed (almost queen) for 2. Does your JS sleep 3 or 4? If it sleeps 4 (and has no pullman) then you have a full sized sofa bed. I didn't worry when my kids slept in that. It was low and being so big, they had alot of wiggle room.

If your JS sleeps 3 (max), then the couch makes a single bed. I would probably try to take a bed rail in that case.

Do the regular couches in all rooms fold out to a single bed, or it is only the rooms that indicate a sofabed?

We're booking to Oasis for Oct 2010, our baby will be a little over 2 then. Right now he's a month old and we have no idea how big he'll be by then. I want to book a JS but not sure if all the cabins's couches fold out or if we need to book specifically a JS that indicates it has a sofabed

Thanks!

Here's a photo of a JS on the Radiance. It's the 2 person sofa only 1/2 way pulled out - my son is sleeping across the bed. As you can see the mattress sits flat on the floor; there's really nowhere to fall. He was 23 months in this picture.

IMG_0424.jpg

Do the regular couches in all rooms fold out to a single bed, or it is only the rooms that indicate a sofabed?

We're booking to Oasis for Oct 2010, our baby will be a little over 2 then. Right now he's a month old and we have no idea how big he'll be by then. I want to book a JS but not sure if all the cabins's couches fold out or if we need to book specifically a JS that indicates it has a sofabed

It is only the cabins that indicate a sofa bed. There are some couches in some cabins that are just a couch only. And some flip over into a single bed. Some flip over into a full sized bed for 2.

Because he will only be 2 by then, *sometimes* RCCL will allow you to book a cabin for 2, but book 3 into it if one of them is a baby.

One time I tried to book a JS for 4, it only held 3, they asked me how old the youngest would be (she was 4)....they said no. But they added that if she was 2 or under, they would allow it.

So since he is 2, I bet you could make ANY couch into a bed, just by adding a sheet to it. But they would have to allow it during the booking. Your best bet is to look for the "triangle" and just book that. Save the hassle.

It is only the cabins that indicate a sofa bed. There are some couches in some cabins that are just a couch only. And some flip over into a single bed. Some flip over into a full sized bed for 2.

Because he will only be 2 by then, *sometimes* RCCL will allow you to book a cabin for 2, but book 3 into it if one of them is a baby.

One time I tried to book a JS for 4, it only held 3, they asked me how old the youngest would be (she was 4)....they said no. But they added that if she was 2 or under, they would allow it.

So since he is 2, I bet you could make ANY couch into a bed, just by adding a sheet to it. But they would have to allow it during the booking. Your best bet is to look for the "triangle" and just book that. Save the hassle.quote]

Thanks, this what we'll probably do. Which is a little bit of a disappointment because looking at the deck plans for Oasis the only JS's with the triangles are on deck 8 and we like to be as high up as we can be. Oh, well the wonderful sacrifices of parenthood

Thanks, this what we'll probably do. Which is a little bit of a disappointment because looking at the deck plans for Oasis the only JS's with the triangles are on deck 8 and we like to be as high up as we can be. Oh, well the wonderful sacrifices of parenthood

Are you serious? I didn't notice that. I am glad I didn't because that stinks. You pay all of that money and are on Deck 8? :eek:

Well there goes my JS. I like higher decks too.

Archived