Military Discounts

RICH321

Mil discount appears to be applied at random sailings due to marketing need and is like discount for teachers, seniors, airline, etc. If you have green-active or blue?-retired ID card that is supposed to be proof. I understand if you provide a DD214 showing more than 2.5 yrs active service, that qualifies also. That was indicated on another sailing website that competes for sales with this website. I now check-off the 'military' box when getting price quotes since I only found out about my qualifying by DD214 recently. You might want to send an email to cruiseline marketing asking to confirm qualifications or try keyword-seach on X website. Good Luck

Just call up X and ask them about the military discount. They had a military and a senior discount (mom) for our upcoming cruise and they were both the same amount.

Greydog, how did you find out about the DD214? That is great info, because I am separating next year after 11 years active duty. Do all cruise lines offer this? :confused:

I asked the X customer service and they said they will open up military, senior, and particular state discounts as they get closer to sailing if they have not filled up yet.

I am booked for next summer, but they said if the decide to implement a military discount, they will honor it for previous bookings.

I'm not holding my breath.

g

From my experience and to sum up what has already been posted:

The military discount is honored for active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves and retirees having a minimum of 20 years service from these same divisions.

Not all cruise lines offer the same discount. Some have none, others are only active duty, some have the 2 year rule. Celebrity web site says they have a 20 year minimum for retirees, so I'm not sure about the 2.5 years and DD214 for Celebrity. I know the 2 years works for Carnival.

Celebrity “occasionally” has discounts. You can find them when you click the “book now” on an itinerary, then on item 4 – passenger profile, check mark the “U.S. Military or Canadian Forces” box. For more info click on the “Why we ask” next to the check box. That gives all the rules and what you have to do to qualify for the discount.

As stated by someone else, these discounts tend to show up when closer to the cruise. I had one on a recent Alaska cruise, then some time after I booked, I checked back and found the military rate was even lower. I called Celebrity and they gave me a credit on my credit card. Yippee!:D

As far as the process, Celebrity doesn't check your credentials before you book or pay. They warn you that you'll have to show proper credentials at check-in or pay a higher rate. However, since military personnel (always) carry military id, how easy is that? On Carnival I had to fax a copy of the id and other rigmarole! (My one and only cruise on Carnival, in my pre-Celebrity days.)

Happy cruising,

Kathy

Honestly, I find it disappointing that they don't offer SOMETHING in terms of a military discount on all cruises.

We booked a special anniversary cruise (after my husband served a year in Iraq), and there were no military discounts available. We booked about 8 months in advance.

Some companies are so good about recognizing the people who make these sacrifices and serve our country...others, not so much.

Would it kill Celebrity to offer some meager military discount to the people who qualify, regardless of when/where they cruise?

Edited again to add: They did have a veteran's social on our last cruise...my husband went and met a few veterans of the Korean War. They had a good time talking to a young guy and swapping Army stories. That was nice.

Archived