Less than $100 -- Where would you stay?

Juligan

Look on Hotwire. There is a 3 star showing for $79 in the Harbor area. You don't know exactly which hotel until you buy it but it has a good rating of 4 out 5. I recently used hotwire for Anaheim and got the Hilton for $70. You can also check on betterbidding.com and ask if they know which hotel this might be.

Good Luck on finding what you need.

try galveston.com as well - their rates are cheaper than the rates shown on the major travel sites

Although I know a bunch of the members of my roll call just got a really good deal on the Hilton at hotels dot com..... $80/nt non-refundable rate for a room with two doubles, plus tax, comes up to $93. One of our gang stayed there post-cruise in January and loved it.

Where would you stay pre-cruise in in Galveston for less than $100 a night?

First, are you driving or flying in to Houston? If you are driving there is no need to drive all the way to Galveston the night before. A ton of new hotels have sprung up around us here at the Bay Area Blvd. exit off of I-45. All are close to at least 100 places to eat, shop and goof off in a nice area prior to your cruise. The drive down the next morning will take about 20 minutes to Harborside Drive.

Second, if you want to stay on Galveston Island then visit this link:

http://www.galveston.com/lodging/

Follow the criteria you'd like for a hotel and you can see that nearly a dozen new hotels are in the Galveston area.

Places to avoid: The Flagship, the Sandpiper and the Commodore. All were there when I surfed Galveston as a teen (I'm 50 now) and have escaped the new growth in the area. Some may differ, but I live close UTMB is part of my life. I just know what's safe and what's not...

Here is a link to a one of my articles I have written about Galveston:

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=27701433da398a0e

Have a tremendous time on your cruise!

First, are you driving or flying in to Houston? If you are driving there is no need to drive all the way to Galveston the night before. A ton of new hotels have sprung up around us here at the Bay Area Blvd. exit off of I-45. All are close to at least 100 places to eat, shop and goof off in a nice area prior to your cruise. The drive down the next morning will take about 20 minutes to Harborside Drive.

We are driving. I just suggested to my DH a few minutes ago that maybe we should check lodging off the island. What would I call that area when searching? Any reccomendations?

We are driving. I just suggested to my DH a few minutes ago that maybe we should check lodging off the island. What would I call that area when searching? Any reccomendations?

I think its called the area is called "NASA and surrounding" before you get to Galveston.

Somewhere I have a email from a friend where he stayed, wasnt one of these. He got it for about $80 plus tax including cruise parking.

I think its called the area is called "NASA and surrounding" before you get to Galveston.

Thank you

Somewhere I have a email from a friend where he stayed, wasnt one of these. He got it for about $80 plus tax including cruise parking.

Do tell

Juligan you have two issues to consider. You need a place to stay for one night and you need a place to park your car during the cruise. You can find good hotel deals in the Houston/Galveston area but you will only find an inclusive parking and shuttle deal on Galveston island.

When are you cruising? If it is after labor day, you will find much cheaper rates on the island than during the summer season.

We stayed at the NASA Rd Days Inn before and are staying there again for this trip. It's about 20-30 miles from there to Galveston, in a nice location just far enough off the interstate. From my confirmation email, the ground-floor king room is $75 with the fees and taxes, but I remember it was about $10 less in January.

The room was more like a mini-suite. We had a sitting area with a sofa; a kitchen counter area with coffeemaker, microwave and mini-fridge; and a very large vanity area outside the bathroom that was two full walls of mirrors and counters.

Please excuse our mess, the pics are as we were checking out the next morning.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/russjackieb/Days%20Inn/KingRoom.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/russjackieb/Days%20Inn/Vanity1.jpg

I ASSUME YOUR TALKING ABOUT YOUR DECEMBER CRUISE. FOR THAT TIME OF THE YEAR YOU MIGHT FIND SOMETHING IN GALVESTON, BUT YOUR BEST BET WOULD PROBALLY BE THE WEBSTER AREA, WHICH IS ABOUT TEN MINUTES OR SO FROM GALVESTON. GO TO CHOISEHOTELS.COM AND PUT IN GALVESTON AND IT WILL COME UP WITH EVERYTHING THEY HAVE IN GALVESTON AND THE SURROUNDING AREA.

I JUST LOOKED ON THE ADDRESS MENTIONED EARLIER. THE QUALITY INN INN GALVESTON IS RITE AT 100 DOLLARS FOR DECEMBER. THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE TAXES. THEY DO OFFER DISCOUNTS FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE SENIORS, MILITARY ETC.

I JUST LOOKED ON THE ADDRESS MENTIONED EARLIER. THE QUALITY INN INN GALVESTON IS RITE AT 100 DOLLARS FOR DECEMBER. THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE TAXES. THEY DO OFFER DISCOUNTS FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE SENIORS, MILITARY ETC. WE'VE STAYED AT THIS HOTEL TWICE AND WAS VERY SATISFIDE. EACH ROOM COMES WITH A BALCONY WITH A VIEW OF THE OCEAN.

The hotels around Bay Area are in Webster, and NASA Parkway is also full of hotels.

Baymont is a nice place in Galveston, LaQuinta has two hotels on Seawall Blvd.

The options that include parking are something to consider... others have made a good point.

Distracted watching the olympics :) Sorry for the ramble.

Thank you

Do tell

Looks like he stayed at the Ramada Inn Ltd (the one by the seawall), which had hotel parking. rereading his emails now. Says try to get room #111 hahahhahaha

He said it is right across from Hooters too, which is where the Crazies are meeting the night before our cruise. He got a cheap senior rate or because he stays there every year when he cruises, he snagged a much better rate than you see online.

It depends on the time of year as far as prices go. If something is going on in Galveston such as Mardi Gras, Dickens on the Strand, or summer time, the prices triple. We like to stay at the Best Western Beachfront on Seawall Blvd. When nothing is going on we have gotten rooms for $50. Best of luck!

Guest scfjjb

Just for information purposes. Galveston is approximately 30 -35 miles from the NASA/Clear Lake area but there are lots of hotels, restaurants and shopping. If you have time the day of your arrival you can go to:

Kemah Boardwalk (on the bay)

Space Center Houston/ Johnson Space Center

Most of the hotels are on Bay Area Blvd or NASA Parkway.

I ASSUME YOUR TALKING ABOUT YOUR DECEMBER CRUISE. FOR THAT TIME OF THE YEAR YOU MIGHT FIND SOMETHING IN GALVESTON, BUT YOUR BEST BET WOULD PROBALLY BE THE WEBSTER AREA, WHICH IS ABOUT TEN MINUTES OR SO FROM GALVESTON. GO TO CHOISEHOTELS.COM AND PUT IN GALVESTON AND IT WILL COME UP WITH EVERYTHING THEY HAVE IN GALVESTON AND THE SURROUNDING AREA.

Just to clarify, Webster is not 10 minutes from Galveston, more like 30-35 minutes depending on traffic. :)

Baymont Inn & Suies with 2 king beds was very nice for only $80 plus tax. I think it came out to $92. That was on our June Ecstasy trip.

We stayed at the Baymont two years ago and it was very nice.

It is close to the beach, across a parking lot and then across the street.

And they had waffles in the shape of the state of Texas.:)

If you're just looking for a overnight stay, and doesn't mind staying at Super8, today is the last day where of their $8.88 promotion. You can get a room for $8.88 at 8pm.

This is the website of their Galveston property, apparently it is very close to the cruise ship terminal and offers free parking for cruise guest.

Personally, I got one of these $8.88 room at their Fort Lauderdale location. Normally, Super8 is not one of the chain that I would consider staying at, but for $10 tax included, I will give it a try. :D

Archived