Best wetsuit thickness for Caribbean

Moostang

What do you think would be the best wetsuit thickness for the Caribbean in general? I am used to lake diving in Northern California so I have a 7/5 Farmer John style. I am thinking about picking up something for the vacation so I am not uncomfortable in a rental and who knows I may use it for swimming or other water activities on the lake.

We are planning a drive in St Thomas and snorkeling in Grand Turk the first week of Sept, but I hope that cruising will become an addiction and will be doing it a lot more :)

I use a 7/7mm farmer john, with hood and gloves, in Lake Ontario (45F to 65F) and find that comfortable. I used a 3mm full length stretch wet suit in the Caribbean and was cold. The water was around 78F.

Talking to a few people since then (April) I've been told a 3mm non-stretch is comparable to a 5mm stretch. So, if you have a 5mm stretch or a 3mm non-stretch wet suit you should be fine.

Darrell

I just dove in Cozumel and Grand Cayman in July in a 3mm shorty. I was fine for the first dive but cold after it out of the water. I changed into a another dry 3mm shorty for the second dive and was cold right from the start. Next year I think I will wear my full 5mm.

When you say "stretch" do you mean the lycra type verses neoprene?

Check out the Henderson hyperstretch 3mm full suit (they come in 5mm if you think you'll be cold). It's what I use and it's not only flexible and folds down very small for the trip, but warm in 70ish degree water and mine's held up for years (plus they stretch as you eat your way through a cruise so the last stop dive is as comfortable as the first stop dive :p ).

Randall

Sabrina, I think the shorty part of your farmer jane will be fine. I used the full 3 mil farmer jane (body and under part which would be 6 mil for the torso) for years and was never too hot. In fact, I'm not sure it's possible to be too warm under water, but maybe some would say so. Sept. will be warm but it's probably not worth buying another suit when you may hardly notice the difference -- except it's much nicer when you first jump in! I bring a light jacket for in between dives because the wind might be a bit cool depending on the weather that day.

When you say "stretch" do you mean the lycra type verses neoprene?

By stretch I mean things like the Henderson HyperStretch or the Akona QuantumStretch. These are neoprene suits but the neoprene is not as stiff. Because it is stretchy, it compresses more at depth.

Do you think that the body part of my 7mm farmer jane style would be to hot? It would be like a 7mm shortie with long sleeves. Although I would hate to pack them.

The jacket for a farmer jane/john goes over the pants. Without the pants it will be a lot looser and let water flow through. I recently looked into a combination I could use here in Canada and part of which I could use in the Caribbean. End result of all my search was, I'm getting a nice 3mm full for the Caribbean and an entirely different suit for here in Canada (still trying to decide what I want for here).

What I've done for diving in the Caribbean is to use a dive skin and 3mm shorty over that. It's done great. And I do get cold fairly easy. I dive in California in a 7mm wetsuit but I found a full 3mm wetsuit was a bit too much. But if you get cold real easy, then go with that.

Hi,

I usually wear a 3mm full suit. I also take my skin and sometimes wear that as well as the 3mm on the second dive if I come up from the first dive cold.

I also have a 3mm vest and add that to the mix if I come up early from the first one because I am cold.

I dive in the Caribbean often and find that a combination for layering is best because the different islands will require different combos.

When we go in Dec or Jan I also take my 5mm full suit to add to the mix. But you definitely will not need that in Sept.

I think a 7mm will be way to warm - especially on board waiting to enter the water.

Whatever you choose - I know you will have a great time!

Enjoy

Barbara

Guys - thanks for a great thread.

My wife and I are new divers - certified this summer - and we both recently purchased 5mm wetsuits. I wanted something that could be somewhat "general purpose" - as some of my diving is going to be lake and quarry diving here in the southeast US - but I also wanted to be able to have something to use n the Carribean and not be too hot.

We're scheduled for a cruise to the Carribean this October (late October) - and we've booked 3 different dives (Tortola, St Maarten, Barbados).

This thread re-affirms my decision to not get the 3mm but go with the 5mm.

Thanks guys - I learn something every day on these forums.

I think it is a matter of where, when, and personal temperature tolerance. I was on a dive in Dec in Cozumel wearing a skin only and was fine, and a dive in St Thomas in May with the same skin and no problems. My depth was only 40-45 ft both times, but I was comfortable for my dives. Check the water temp where you are diving and then decide based on what you find comfortable at that temp.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone, we dove St Thomas in 3mm shorties and we were perfect, no complaints. There were even people doing no wet dives. Of course with the weather we had to cancel the boat dive and just do a shore dive at Koki beach.

I get cold easily. For Caribbean diving I wear a 3/4 combo full length and a hood. In Florida I also take a full length fleece-lined skin that I put on before the second dive. DH is hot natured and would tell you that it is possible to be too warm under water. He wears a 3mm shorty.

• 1 month later...
What do you think would be the best wetsuit thickness for the Caribbean in general? I am used to lake diving in Northern California so I have a 7/5 Farmer John style. I am thinking about picking up something for the vacation so I am not uncomfortable in a rental and who knows I may use it for swimming or other water activities on the lake.

We are planning a drive in St Thomas and snorkeling in Grand Turk the first week of Sept, but I hope that cruising will become an addiction and will be doing it a lot more :)

Just went to Cozumel and dove without a wet suit or skin. No problems at all.

As has been alluded to, the hyperstretch-style suits aren't quite as warm at a given thickness as a traditional suit might be.

I have a 5mm henderson hyperstretch that I absolutely adore. The only bad thing (besides the steep price tag) is that any velcro that comes in contact with it roughens up the fabric and makes it look very worn. Other than that, it's great. I wore it for diving in the Keys in December (water high 70s) with booties/gloves and sometimes 3mm vest. For St Thomas last week (water was 82) it was perfect. Puerto Rico earlier this week was a little warmer (85 86 ish) and it was okay but a 3mm probably would've worked for that okay.

If you're naturally a cold person like myself, 5mm in the Caribbean is perfect. I debated between 3mm and 5mm and I am SO GLAD I went thicker.

I was recently certified back in June and had my first ocean dives last month on a cruise. We dove St Maarten, Tortola, and Barbados. I had been researching a bit and wound up buying a 5mil to use - and when I would get the suit out, all the dive shops told me that a 5 mil was WAY too much suit.

We wound up diving in a rental 3mil shorty and that was plenty sufficient for me and my cold natured wife. With that being said, the dive master on our Tortola dive used a 3mil full and came up a little on the chilly side.

So, next purchase will probably be my own 3mil shorty - and that will be my "cruise suit" and I'll keep the 5mil for diving the lakes, quaries, and springs.

It's only money...:)

Archived