Has Maasdam Been Saved?

sail7seas

I just discovered a Janaury 2, 2009 seven day cruise offered on HAL's web site as well as a cruise for January 9, 2009 as shown below.

Is it possible HAL has cancelled all the heavy duty work that was planned for a January dry dock?

Is our aft pool safe for at least a little while longer?

We can HOPE. The best part about the dry dock plans was the hope it meant HAL intends to keep the "S" ships sailing considerably longer or wouldn't be putting that much money into them.

Now, I'm happy that it seems (for the short term), Maasdam will remain as is, 'my' :) pretty ship but does it mean she may leave the fleet sooner rather than later? Just the thought of it makes me ill. :(

Cruise I found offered on HAL's site: [/b]

MADM.jpg Ship: ms Maasdam

Ports of Call: Fort Lauderdale, Florida; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.; Basse-terre, St. Kitts; Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; Soufriere, St Lucia; Point-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Frederiksted, St. Croix, USVI; Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Departure Port: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Departure Dates: Jan 09, 2009

Inside * OceanView * Verandah * Suite * from

$1,222.53

per person from

$1,322.53

per person from

$3,122.53

per person from

$5,922.53

per person

Fares above are shown in $USD and do not include a fuel supplement of $USD9.00 per guest per day with a maximum per guest of $USD126.00 ($USD4.00 per guest per day for 3rd, 4th and 5th guests in a stateroom, with a maximum of $USD56.00 per 3rd, 4th or 5th guest).

*Prices are per person, for cruise only, based on double occupancy. Price

I just discovered a Janaury 2, 2009 seven day cruise offered on HAL's web site as well as a cruise for January 9, 2009 as shown below.

Is it possible HAL has cancelled all the heavy duty work that was planned for a January dry dock?

Is our aft pool safe for at least a little while longer?

We can HOPE. The best part about the dry dock plans was the hope it meant HAL intends to keep the "S" ships sailing considerably longer or wouldn't be putting that much money into them.

Now, I'm happy that it seems (for the short term), Maasdam will remain as is, 'my' :) pretty ship but does it mean she may leave the fleet sooner rather than later? Just the thought of it makes me ill. :(

One can only hope that Hal will either be putting off those renovations or maybe not doing them at all. I was not in favor of Hal adding cabins to the "S" class ships. It just makes the space per passengers even tighter. I'm thinking with the economy the way it is maybe Hal has change their minds and are tightening up their preverbal belts, trying to ride out the slow down. I'm also keeping my finger crossed that the "S" class ships will be around a long time to come, as they are my favorite.

Can anyone refresh my memory on what was supposed to have happened?

I seem to recall losing the aft pool (as Sail mentioned) to more cabins.

Were there any other major changes that were supposed to happen?

Were all S class ships going to get these changes over time?

The cabins were going to be added to the Navigation Deck replacing that pool and the Navigation pool was going to be move up behind the Lido, and yes Hal had planned to do all the "S" class ships.

I'm not sure the new 'pool' scheduled for Lido Deck was going to resemble the old pool we know and love on the "S" and "R" ships. Might be something very different. :confused: I've haven't heard real details.

My DH and I got off this ship on July 5. During the Canada/NE cruise I witnessed several people walking around taking notes about changes that where going to be made - fountains that would be going away - color changes. During my parent's renewal ceremony we visited with the captain and if I remember correctly the ship was going into dry dock after their trip to Europe - which was right after our cruise... that would mean it would be taking place way before January.

As a side, this was our first HAL cruise and I really enjoyed the ship. Much smaller than what we've been on before, but very nice.

We board Maasdam Saturday for two weeks. She returned from Europe a week ago and will be finishing her first Canada/New England cruise the day we board, August 16. The dry dock was scheduled for January, 2009.

I have found a seven day January 2 cruise and then a 12 day for January 9, 2009. That makes for a greatly decreased dry dock time. Those two cruises have just dropped into the scheduling. They did not exist a week or ten days ago.

S7S, have a great couple of cruises on Maasdam starting this SAT. I have no doubt you will get "to the bottom";) of this once onboard

Ditto John's sentiments. :)

What a fabulous time of year be on your favorite ship and sailing to Canada.

S7S, have a great couple of cruises on Maasdam starting this SAT. I have no doubt you will get "to the bottom";) of this once onboard

Thanks, John and Hammybee.

Yuppers,,,,,,,,,, I'll be 'making inquiries' and will report back. :D

Joan, will you be posting here during the cruise?

Hi TMWeddle.......

My name is Judy :) and I really haven't thought about posting during the cruise. Any question in particular you have? I'd be happy to try and get the answer.

Travel safely, Peter. We look forward to meeting you and your family.

We are predicted to have a bit more rain tomorrow and scattered showers Saturday but the long range forecast for Boston and north looks much better than we have had in recent weeks. I saw lots of yellow suns on the weatherman's map on the evening news. :)

See you aboard!

We board Maasdam Saturday for two weeks. She returned from Europe a week ago and will be finishing her first Canada/New England cruise the day we board, August 16. The dry dock was scheduled for January, 2009.

I have found a seven day January 2 cruise and then a 12 day for January 9, 2009. That makes for a greatly decreased dry dock time. Those two cruises have just dropped into the scheduling. They did not exist a week or ten days ago.

The cruise on Jan. 9 is 14 days. Then the next cruise is Jan. 30th for 14 days. So there is only a week between cruises per the HAL site.

This is about the fifth (?) time we have done this cruise back-to-back. I think I've posted so much about it in previous years.

I rarely mention tours or sightseeing. For us, Maasdam is about the ship and crew. While we do love these ports and get off to'do our own thing', I'm sure reading many of the previous threads others have posted re: tours/excursions will give you loads of info.

If I get the 'inspiration', I may do my usual posting of snippets of things we'e seen or experienced that we found particularly good (or not so great.;)

I promise I'll do my best to leave the ship in great shape for you.

If I get the 'inspiration', I may do my usual posting of snippets of things we'e seen or experienced that we found particularly good (or not so great.;)

Well, speaking only for myself in the most humble tone imaginable, it would make my day if there would be any "Live from Maasdam" posts specifically dealing witth and/or referencing:

A. Potential dress code violators and their onboard punishment (i.e. the peeling potatoes in the galley) or inconsistent lack thereof

B. The current status and subsequent punishment of those seen and/or caught smoking

a. cigaretes

b. cigars

c. pipes

d. other combustible materials onboard in violation of any codes known to mankind in/on:

a. their onboard cabin, suite or stateroom

b. their outboard balcony

c. any public area specifically forbidden to "light up"

d. any ship's lifeboat or tender

C. Crying and/or running juveniles (under the age of eighteen) (or those with the undeniable talent to do both simultaneously) found in the DR, PG, corridors, elevators and/or any area of that dam ship open to the public

D. Babies and/or todlers ('cause everybody loves a baby:) ) in the "Adults On;y" pool accompanied or unaccompanied by "floating objects" but without parental supervision

E. Any possible in-progress "Chair hoggery" on Promenade Deck, the Lido Pool area, Show Lounge, etc. with malice aforethought and by means of reading material, towels, robes, sunglasses, clothing material matching or not

F. Any verified observation of man boobs:eek: with or without HAL bathrobes anywhere on the vessel

G. Potential dancing on the tables in the Crow's Nest during disco hours (Since Maasdam does not have a Northern Lights)

H. Thongery or the wearing of thongs/pieces of dental floss in the pool area by fine folks having absolutely no business wearing same

I. Evidence of room service card tampering late at night resulting in the consequent delivery of unwanted yet generous portions of prunes and/or prune juice for breakfast thereby stimulating digestion and improving, as a whole, the onboard restroom vacuum system

J. The discovery of bungee cords utilized with the specific intent to allow balcony doors to remain in the open position so the "sound of the ocean" can be utilized instead of counting endless sheep.

K. Unsuspecting PS or S guests inside the Neptune Lounge for the purposes of obtaining a or more cups of Java but undeniably clothed only in HAL-owned bathrobes

Well, speaking only for myself in the most humble tone imaginable, it would make my day if there would be any "Live from Maasdam" posts specifically dealing witth and/or referencing:

A. Potential dress code violators and their onboard punishment (i.e. the peeling potatoes in the galley) or inconsistent lack thereof

B. The current status and subsequent punishment of those seen and/or caught smoking

a. cigaretes

b. cigars

c. pipes

d. other combustible materials onboard in violation of any codes known to mankind in/on:

C. Crying and/or running juveniles (under the age of eighteen) (or those with the undeniable talent to do both simultaneously) found in the DR, PG, corridors, elevators and/or any area of that dam ship open to the public

D. Babies and/or todlers ('cause everybody loves a baby:) ) in the "Adults On;y" pool accompanied or unaccompanied by "floating objects" but without parental supervision

E. Any possible in-progress "Chair hoggery" on Promenade Deck, the Lido Pool area, Show Lounge, etc. with malice aforethought and by means of reading material, towels, robes, sunglasses, clothing material matching or not

F. Any verified observation of man boobs:eek: with or without HAL bathrobes anywhere on the vessel

G. Potential dancing on the tables in the Crow's Nest during disco hours (Since Maasdam does not have a Northern Lights)

H. Thongery or the wearing of thongs/pieces of dental floss in the pool area by fine folks having absolutely no business wearing same

I. Evidence of room service card tampering late at night resulting in the consequent delivery of unwanted yet generous portions of prunes and/or prune juice for breakfast thereby stimulating digestion and improving, as a whole, the onboard restroom vacuum system

J. The discovery of bungee cords utilized with the specific intent to allow balcony doors to remain in the open position so the "sound of the ocean" can be utilized instead of counting endless sheep.

K. Unsuspecting PS or S guests inside the Neptune Lounge for the purposes of obtaining a or more cups of Java but undeniably clothed only in HAL-owned bathrobes

John- I think you have wayyyyyyyy too much time on your hands dear man!! :p ;)

S7S- Have a great cruise!!

BON VOYAGE :D :D

P.S. Thongery???????? LOL LOL

Look up that one in your Funk and Wagnell

a. cigaretes

b. cigars

c. pipes

Well, golly gee....... Any chance you'll leave me a bit of time to actually enjoy myself??!!! :D

I think I'll start with the HAL-owned bathrobes showing up in Neptune fetching java for the just awakening 'sail'. :D :)

From there, Maybe I'll tackle the bungee cords.

Nah....... each verandah guest for themselves. Anything goes!!!

I do promise if I see/hear/sense something fabulously wonderful or outstandingly awful, I shall get me immediately to a computer; formal night or not!

Thanks, localady. We have waited way too long for this cruise and we plan to have our usual awesome time. ;)

WELL, if they aren't going to do a major remodel, do you think they might be considering selling this ship. If they spend the money, they would probably keep the small ships, but if they don't, maybe they will sell them instead. Just something to think about.

We love the Maasdam. That's why we are taking our cruise before she was scheduled for dry dock.

Please let us know what you find out and happy cruising.:confused:

Archived