Vietnam Air

mcjyl

Hello;

We are still thinking of doing Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia from Singapore after the cruise. Vietnam Air is so much cheaper than other air lines, $425 vs. $1000. We are worry about their safety and reliability. Does anyone know anything about Vietnam Air? If anyone knows any other airlines that is relatively inexpensive and reliable flying from Singapore to Siem Reap, please let us know. Thanks.

Jim & Mary

progress.gif

Hello;

We are still thinking of doing Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia from Singapore after the cruise. Vietnam Air is so much cheaper than other air lines, $425 vs. $1000. We are worry about their safety and reliability. Does anyone know anything about Vietnam Air? If anyone knows any other airlines that is relatively inexpensive and reliable flying from Singapore to Siem Reap, please let us know. Thanks.

Jim & Mary

progress.gif

I don't know where you are finding Vietnam air tickets that are inexpensive. PLEASE let me know. I fly Vietnam Air about 6 times per year-usually from HKG/Hanoi or Saigon, then Intra Vietnam flights between SGN or HAN. And tickets for Vietnam Air are generally VERY expensive UNLESS purchased IN Vietnam. But if you can find them cheap, GO FOR IT. Vietnam Airlines is a VERY nice airline. The service is good, the planes are new. The HKG/Hanoi flight is just over an hour. The plane goes up, a FULL meal is served and the plane lands. Almost TOO much for such a short flight. Free BOOZE too (although premium liquors cost) but a Bloody Mary or similar is free.

Vietnam Airlines in it's current form is a relatively new company. The actual company was formed in 1995 and most of the aircraft is 1995 or newer (MUCH newer than US airlines). They are also partners with some of the BEST airlines in the world-Cathay, Qantas, and JAL. If they weren't up to snuff, those airlines WOULD NOT partner with them. They definitely have reputations to uphold. DO NOT worry about your Vietnam Air flights. They will be FAR superior to most anything you have flown on (unless you spend a lot of time on Qantas or Cathay).

For alternatives (and probably cheaper), you may want to look at Air Asia from Singapore to Bangkok, then Bangkok Air (another VERY fine Asian airline) from Bangkok to Siem Rep. Air Asia books in Singapore dollars, Bangkok Air books in US dollars. So you will have to do the conversions to get the price. Enjoy your trip to Cambodia whichever way you go!!!!

Thanks Greatam for the info. We found the Vietnam Air from the Asiarooms.com, the site you recommended. It says it has one stop from Singapore to Siem Reap for $425 USD, round trip. We don't know where the stop is. Do you know whether the price is reasonable for a round trip from Singapore to Siem Reap. We'll be in Singapore on Dec 16 from a cruise ship (about 8:00 am). We are thinking of taking a 12:00 pm flight to Siem Reap on Vietnam Air and return to Singapore on Dec 18 because our flight from Singapore to the US is on Dec 19. Do you think it is doable? Thanks, you are a great help on this roll call.

Jim & Mary

Thanks Greatam for the info. We found the Vietnam Air from the Asiarooms.com, the site you recommended. It says it has one stop from Singapore to Siem Reap for $425 USD, round trip. We don't know where the stop is. Do you know whether the price is reasonable for a round trip from Singapore to Siem Reap. We'll be in Singapore on Dec 16 from a cruise ship (about 8:00 am). We are thinking of taking a 12:00 pm flight to Siem Reap on Vietnam Air and return to Singapore on Dec 18 because our flight from Singapore to the US is on Dec 19. Do you think it is doable? Thanks, you are a great help on this roll call.

Jim & Mary

Wow!!! I had no idea Asiarooms.com had airline tickets. And I book a LOT of hotels in Asia through them. Thanks for the heads up. Price is VERY reasonable. Even booking the two tickets-Air Asia and Bangkok Airlines will result in a fare of about the same price (actually, for your dates and to get the two airlines to "marry up", it will be slightly higher). So if you can get ONE ticket on Vietnam Airlines (the stop will be in Bangkok), GO FOR IT!!! And have a great time.

I think you will be fine with your plans. Where are you planning to stay??? I HIGHLY recommend the FCC in Siem Reap (pool side room if within the budget). http://www.fcccambodia.com/

Close enough to walk to "town", pedicabs right outside the office door and tour guides if you need them are available. IF you have the time, take the hot air balloon ride. No reservations needed, it is directly in front of the Angkor Temple. FANTASTIC views. And the elephant rides are fun too. I have had a LOT more fun on the balloon ride, the elephant ride, going to a Cambodian wedding and the elephant farm than I did at the temples. I often wonder how many temples people can see in their lifetime (unless they are archaeologists). But temples and cathedrals are just not my thing. Enjoy it whatever you decide to do!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

We flew Vietnam Air Seem Reap to Saigon for onward travel home; it was a fantastic flight.

We decided to fly business class to ensure that we had no problems with luggage weight. We were the only four in business. I think we had three stewardesses to ourselves. When we landed, a stewardess held back the masses in coach while we took our belongings down the stairs to the bus....then the bus left with just the four of us. After we went through immigration, the rest of the passengers caught up with us. We then were put back in front of their line to make our way into the terminal. The airport lounge in Saigon was wonderful with large selections of food and drinks and good internet access; sure helped out given we had a three hour layover.

Vietnam Air has new planes with mostly (at least in 2005) US pilots. I wouldn't fear flying them at all.

Marc

Archived