Naples Pizza

Anyone have a good suggestion on where we can get an outstanding pizza in Naples, not too far from the port. We are opting to stay close to port that day but would love to get off for lunch and a glass of vino:D

We have been to Amalfi, Capri, Sorrento etc so we are just sitting tight that day.

Many thanks

Chesie

I forget the names, but there are a couple of them right near the train station. They are opposite each other. Someone told us they have been in business for years and are famous. We found our way there inbetween the Circumvesuvia to from Sorrento and the train to Rome. Maybe someone has the name. Just a block from the station.

A little bit nearer to the port is Pizzeria Brandi, Salita S. Anna Di Palazzo, 1-2 (Corner of Via Chiara) www.brandi.it. The pizza was fabulous. Also, if you want dessert, also near to the port try Caffe Rosati aacross from the Opera House for some delicious granite caffe. (Frozen espresso ices).

I've not been, but in doing my research the name Da Michele pops up alot as having the most authentic Naples pizza. (I have it in my 'to do' list). It was even featured on Samantha Browns show on the Travel Channel.

http://www.damichele.net/

I have already mapped Da Michele on google maps and it is about 1.2 miles away from the port. So after my excursion in about 2 weeks in Naples, my wife and I will make the seemingly simple walk to Da Michele. I read somewhere that it is close to a metro stop, but dont count on that. We are walkers and aren't really doing much metro trips especially for a mile-plus walk.

I've not been, but in doing my research the name Da Michele pops up alot as having the most authentic Naples pizza. (I have it in my 'to do' list). It was even featured on Samantha Browns show on the Travel Channel.

http://www.damichele.net/

We found Da Michele easily with our map. We were coming from the train station after our trip to Pompeii. Just be prepared to wait. I think around 1:00 we had to wait 30 minutes. It is very small but a great place!

We ate at Da Michele because we were docked closer to it on our Brilliance cruise in May/June. The pizza was delicious, but if you make your way there, just know they only serve Coke, Fanta and one type of beer.

If you are docked farther away than you are comfortable walking, ask your cabin steward or any of the other crew. They will definitely know where the best pizza places in Naples are that are close to the ship.

Have a great cruise and a delicious pizza!

Some info on Naples pizza from my trip notes:

The world's first true pizzeria, "Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba", opened in 1830 and is still in business today at Via Port'Alba 18 in Naples. Pizzerias in this era usually included a large brick oven, a marble counter where the crust was prepared, and a shelf lined with ingredients. Contemporary Neapolitan pizzerias are prepared in the same way they were 100 years ago. The large brick ovens make the pizzerias uncomfortably hot in every season except winter, but the unique flavor of these brick-oven pizzas is unmatched. Pizzaioli (makers of pizza) often assemble the entire pizza on a marble counter right before the customer's eyes.

Neapolitan pizza is still widely regarded as the best in the world, probably because of the fresh ingredients available to Neapolitan pizzerias: herbs, garlic, and tomatoes grown in the rich volcanic ash of Vesuvius, and fresh mozzarella from water buffalo milk. Try a “pizza margherita” or “Quattro stagione” but don’t ask for pepperoni (an American creation), it’ll get you a pizza covered with peppers!

Archived