Fuel going down

southbayer

I doubt that you will see a drop in the fuel surchage until after the fuel prices have gone down below the original point that the surcharges where enacted. Carnival doesn't want to get hit with high fuel prices and have to increase the surcharge again so even once the fuel prices have gone down it will still take them a bit to lower or do away with the surcharge.

I doubt the fuel surcharge will go down now. Its just another excuse for more money..Just like Sept 11th. JMO

So adding a fuel surcharge to offset the increases fuel prices is just an excuse for them to make more money? If you owned a business and the operation costs went up, would you not raise the prices of the products you sold to offeset those increasing costs? If you haven't noticed, Carnival is a business. They are in business to make monney, not give away vacations.:cool:

What does Sept 11th have to do with this???

Why would the fuel surcharge go down now? The prices are still way higher than what they were last year at this time. I think we will need to see the prices below $100 per barrel for a while to see any relief.

I personally don't feel the fuel surcharge is expensive - I can't imagine how many gallons they need to fill up a ship. With the cruise prices not rising all that much - they need to offset the price for fuel somehow.

So adding a fuel surcharge to offset the increases fuel prices is just an excuse for them to make more money? If you owned a business and the operation costs went up, would you not raise the prices of the products you sold to offeset those increasing costs? If you haven't noticed, Carnival is a business. They are in business to make monney, not give away vacations.:cool:

True, BUT, having been in the transportation sector for 30 odd years, I can tell you that truck transportation fuel surcharges are often adjusted up or down relative to actual fuel costs. Why should cruise lines be any different?

I don't count on it ever going away. They could just raise the rates to make up for it, but I think the fuel charge is here to stay, indefinately.

Exactly . . . its like a "temporary" tax that's added by a government to get around a "temporary" financial situation . . . DO THEY EVER GO BACK TO WHERE THEY WERE ? :rolleyes:

I think the fuel surcharge is a gimmick anyway, designed to get additional monies for their cruises (which they need) WITHOUT IT APPEARING LIKE THEY ARE. All the cruiselines should just raise their cabin rates to compensate for this additional expense and let price point competition determine everything else.

You have to remember when they first applied the fuel charge, they were only recovering 1/3 of the actuall fuel cost. So now that the fuel went down the prices will still stay the same because they still aren't recovering the full 100%

-Javo

9 dollars a day per person is not alot of money when you think how much it would cost you to travel by air or land for vacation. Cruising is still the cheapest way to go. (so far) :rolleyes: Once a company raises the price of something they will probably never lower it unless there was a major change in the economy and I don't see that happening anytime soon. (at least not for the good) We all still have a choice, either pay the fuel charge or don't go.:D

I am trying understand the correlation Sept 11 to the fuel surcharge. Please explain.

I was thinking the same thing.:confused: As a matter of fact, the cruise rates were drastically reduced after 9/11. They didn't start going up back up to normal rates until 2003. Those were the good old days. I went on a 3 day cruise for $99 pp and a 7 day for $199 pp.:eek:

You have to remember when they first applied the fuel charge, they were only recovering 1/3 of the actuall fuel cost. So now that the fuel went down the prices will still stay the same because they still aren't recovering the full 100%

-Javo

We must remember, folks, when oil prices surged to $146 this was a SPECULATORS price. Many speculators have just been given a hard lesson in purchasing futures.

Large companies that use a lot of fuel like cruiselines and airlines usually HEDGE their fuel purchases sometimes years into the future (contractually agree to pay a specific price for their fuel no matter what the speculated price may be). Airlines and cruiselines were probably paying the diesel and jetfuel equivalent of $60-70 per barrel during all of this. Admitedly, very high, but not at the outrageous prices the speculators drove it to.

For example, Southwest Airlines has a great HEDGE that will allow them to purchase jetfuel at the oil price equivalent of $50-55 per barrel into either 2011 or 2012 ! Who do you think has the some of the best airfare rates today ? :rolleyes:

Kinda like the difference between the BROCHURE rate and what one actually pays for a cruise. :D

There recently was a HEDGE IDEA that consumers could get involved in (once they worked out the legal ramifications):

You buy a gas card for X amount of dollars based on an X amount per gallon and you use that card to purchase those gallons irrespective of what the going price is.

For example, you might purchase 200 gallons of gas at, say $5 per gallon for $1,000.

Then you would get 200 gallons no matter what the current price was.

Say you did this, and gasoline ran to $7 per gallon, you'd have "saved" $400. :D

Of course, if gasoline went to $3 per gallon you'd be, in effect, overpaying by $400. :(

Ok first of all I understand cruise ships are in a business so with gas prices going up they need some extra money to offset the high gas prices. Nowhere in my post did I ever say that I wasnt willing to pay this surcharge. All I said is even with the gas prices going down, that I dont believe the surcharge will go down because its just another way to get money from you.

When I mentioned sept 11th, it had no correlation to fuel surcharges etc.......I mentioned namely for the sake of excuses. Come on we have all heard it due to sept 11th....blah blah blah......because of sept of 11th blah blah blah. Everything is blamed on sept 11th rather that is the true cause or not.

So tying the two together and in short now........I dont think the fuel charges will go away its just another excuse.....just like sept 11th seems to be a never ending excuse. Does this clarify now?? I know I know its all about semantics and it was poor writing on the first post.

9 dollars a day per person is not alot of money when you think how much it would cost you to travel by air or land for vacation. Cruising is still the cheapest way to go. (so far) :rolleyes:

How do you figure.

I just spent 6 nights at Disney and Daytona beach and the cost versus a cruise were night and day.

Spent $600 on food for 2 adults and 2 teenagers.

Spent $500 on Disney passes,$60 on Gasoline,$160 on other entertainment. 4 nights in a 2brm Condo resort (fountains)and 2 nights at Daytona(Hilton Ocean walk) were free for spending almost a whole 70 minutes at a time share presentation plus they gave me 2 disney tickets which I upgraded as part of the Disney passes above. We were dead tired after everyday.

Under $1400 for 6 nights is not bad.I don't see how I could have taken a cruise for that cost,or even twice that.My cost also included an excursion everyday and dinner shows for 2 evenings.

Steve

Well, duh. :rolleyes:

I would be happy to send them a referal so every CCer can have the opportunity to get the same offer.Plus,I get a free night for everyone I refer so the cruise is the best deal line,does not hold true.The argument that you must go to a presentation does not really hold water.6 nights accomidations and $160 in Disney tickets for 70 minutes of my time.I waited longer to board a ship and I was not served refreshments like this place did.:)

Steve

ps.I Like the cruise better,but not the cost's at this time and being a FL resident helps.

I would be happy to send them a referal so every CCer can have the opportunity to get the same offer.Plus,I get a free night for everyone I refer so the cruise is the best deal line,does not hold true.The argument that you must go to a presentation does not really hold water.6 nights accomidations and $160 in Disney tickets for 70 minutes of my time.I waited longer to board a ship and I was not served refreshments like this place did.:)

Steve

ps.I Like the cruise better,but not the cost's at this time and being a FL resident helps.

What would happen if you compared your land "deal" with a pax that got a "free" cruise in a Bingo game for $30 and 70 minutes of his time ? :D

Do you get a PLATINUM PRESENTATION CARD if you sit through 10 presentations without being recognized ? :rolleyes:

Archived