Mykonos

My parents and I are thinking about taking the Mykonos Island Tour in June. For those of you that have taken that particular shore excursion, do they give you time to go swimming? I'd like to actually go swimming in the ocean at some point (this sounds corny but I just saw that Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie and the water looks amazing).

Also, what was the weather like in June/late May?

HI ---

We were there the first week in May of this year and and we spent most of the day on shore wearing shorts and T-shirts. A beautiful day and just warm enough to stop and have a beer or two.

You may enjoy this link to a web cam -- we watched this for several months before we went on the cruise. When we got there it was like we recognized many things.

http://mykon.net/livestream/live_en2.htm

P.S. Water was not my idea of nice ---- coooold

Hi - this may not be your idea of a good time but we had the most fantastic day in Mykonos in September 2006.

Mykonos town is so quaint and easy to walk around - loads of photo opportunities, we got great snaps here - we then took a taxi to Paradise Beach and spent the whole afternoon sipping coktails on a SOFA right on the beach. We didn't want to swim so no idea what the water felt like but it was a surreal experience just people watching and summonsing our waiter whenever required.

There is a bus which runs back to the town at regular intervals and was very cheap, we got that back to port (we probably could have saved a taxi fare going but didn't realise there were buses going there) We remember that day as one of the most relaxing ever (our signature pic was taken sitting on that sofa by our lovely greek waiter).

I believe there are lots of other beautiful beaches but why waste all day trecking around in the heat ?? We are returning next May on celebrity Solstice and plan to do exactly the same again - if you do go - please let me know what its like - I hope nothing has changed - have a great time :cool:

Hi - this may not be your idea of a good time but we had the most fantastic day in Mykonos in September 2006.

Mykonos town is so quaint and easy to walk around - loads of photo opportunities, we got great snaps here - we then took a taxi to Paradise Beach and spent the whole afternoon sipping coktails on a SOFA right on the beach. We didn't want to swim so no idea what the water felt like but it was a surreal experience just people watching and summonsing our waiter whenever required.

There is a bus which runs back to the town at regular intervals and was very cheap, we got that back to port (we probably could have saved a taxi fare going but didn't realise there were buses going there) We remember that day as one of the most relaxing ever (our signature pic was taken sitting on that sofa by our lovely greek waiter).

I believe there are lots of other beautiful beaches but why waste all day trecking around in the heat ?? We are returning next May on celebrity Solstice and plan to do exactly the same again - if you do go - please let me know what its like - I hope nothing has changed - have a great time :cool:

How far was this place & what was the taxi fare? Would other taxis be there to take you back to the ship or wait for you?

The only excursions listed so far for our Solstice trip in 9/09 is a trip to Delos-- but we want to stay on Mykonos...It may be late for swiming but people watchng & a nice beach sound great!

I would not count on a taxi to come back to town from Paradise Beach. In fact, taxis are hard to come by and you may have to wait. The bus is easy and cheap. The depot is up the hill from the windmills to the right of the town and there are pretty regular. There also is a small beach right in town if that appeals to your wanting to swim. We went to the beach first and then spent time in town in the afternoon when it was hotter.

So many things to do, but so little time. I want to see the windmills and Little Venice, and walk around the town, but I also want to go to Delos! And go swimming as well. So here's another question? If we decide to not take the shore excursion through the cruise line, is the port near the windmills and the town, or does it require the use of transportation? And the little beach you mentioned, is it near the port as well? I'm thinking that perhaps we can walk into town if that's the case, see the windmills, etc., then either head to the beach of see if we can get a boat to Delos.

Keep the info coming, please!

Delos is actually really interesting and a very sacred site. We enjoyed our excursion to Delos and had plenty of time afterwards to have a bite to eat in Mykonos and wander around the streets.

Photos and review in the links below.

Whatever you do will be wonderful ... just thinking of Mykonos brings a smile to my face.

Kathy:)

We were there in April and loved Delos. It is really beautiful and a lot to see, well worth the time. We actually didn't do much in Mykonos. Just walked around and sat by the port at a cafe and enjoyed people watching. I thought it was a beautiful island, but enjoyed Delos more.

Our ship stopped at Delos first and we were able to tender there and wander on our own before the stop in Mykonos, we had a nice lunch there and just wandered (we're not really into going to the beach). The windmills and Little Venice are very close to each other, one of my best windmill pictures was taken from the table where we had lunch in Little Venice. You only need and hour or so to wander the town in Mykonos, a couple if you also want to sit and have a drink or a light meal and people watch or shop. We loved Delos and want to go back there some day. I can see how some people wouldn't care for Delos, but if you think it is at all interesting, you should try to get there. I think a lot depends on how much time you have and your luck with the weather, make a plan A and a plan B just in case plan A can't be done when you get there, there are days when the ferries to Delos can't run because of the water roughness.

Mykonos is very easy to do on your own. We were there in June, walked to the public bus and took it to the Platy Gialas (sp) which was a family beach. For 40 euro we got 4 lounge chairs under straw umbrellas and spent the afternoon enjoying the beach. My BIL and his 2 girls took a jet ski and went out a ways where they were surrounded by a pod of dolphins. We took the bus back (the bus driver was a hoot, blasting Greek music and generally enjoying his job), walked to the windmills and then sat in a taverna in Little Venice and had a bite to eat. A great great day. Skip the big bus tour group!

-------------------

Helen

Archived