New Ship For Mobile

Mysticks1

In our local paper this morning is an article stating that an announcement will be made on Monday concerning Carnival Cruise Line in Mobile. Here is an excerpt from that article.

Two ships? A bigger ship? Since the birth of cruising in Mobile in 2004, those questions have been the subjects of speculation by cruise proponents. On Monday, they should get an answer, as Carnival Cruise Lines and the city have set an afternoon news briefing to make "a major cruise industry announcement."........

The entire article can be found here. http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/1218878127262010.xml&coll=3

The article also mentions that there will be an announcement in New Orleans as well. The City has already made arrangements for financing improvements to the cruise terminal to add another gangway that will allow for bigger ships and has already contacted a company concerning that construction.

There will be two Carnival ships in New Orleans again, only one in Mobile with Holiday going away.

I heard that the Tuesday announcement by Carnival in NOLA was likely to be about pulling out of NOLA permanently. With mishaps in the river and the port authority trying to find clauses in their contract that Carnival might be violating by moving Fantasy to Mobile temporarily, they are finding that sailing from NOLA is unduly problematic.

I do hope they announce a fantasy class ship to Mobile. I really did enjoy my stay in Mobile when I sailed on the Holiday and would like to sail out of Mobile again but not on the Holiday.

That's exactly how we feel.

How exciting; we can easily drive to Mobile in just a few hours!

I heard that the Tuesday announcement by Carnival in NOLA was likely to be about pulling out of NOLA permanently. With mishaps in the river and the port authority trying to find clauses in their contract that Carnival might be violating by moving Fantasy to Mobile temporarily, they are finding that sailing from NOLA is unduly problematic.

The voices in your head are fibbing again.

Holiday will be transferred to Iberocruceros next year.

The voices in your head are fibbing again.

Holiday will be transferred to Iberocruceros next year.

I was just messing with you. The voices in my head made me do it. Someone on another thread had said yesterday (mainly in jest) that Carnival was going to announce a pullout from NOLA, and you seem so cock sure about what Carnival will announce that I just couldn't resist. As for Holiday, that is old news. That announcement was made almost a month ago. :)

I was just messing with you. The voices in my head made me do it. Someone on another thread had said yesterday (mainly in jest) that Carnival was going to announce a pullout from NOLA, and you seem so cock sure about what Carnival will announce that I just couldn't resist. As for Holiday, that is old news. That announcement was made almost a month ago. :)

What a coincidence. Carnival had a board meeting on Splendor about a month ago. ;)

I would love to see the Triumph or Victory moved to Mobile. I loved that class ship and I read somewhere recently that one or both will be moved to the 4 & 5 days schedule in the foreseeable future.

I guess with all the new ships coming out and an aging Fantasy class that are requiring expensive refits to stay on the up and up.

I am concerned however just how much traffic the port of Mobile can efficiently handle with parking and people moving and such. I guess will get a better picture of that next week.

In our local paper this morning is an article stating that an announcement will be made on Monday concerning Carnival Cruise Line in Mobile. Here is an excerpt from that article.

Two ships? A bigger ship? Since the birth of cruising in Mobile in 2004, those questions have been the subjects of speculation by cruise proponents. On Monday, they should get an answer, as Carnival Cruise Lines and the city have set an afternoon news briefing to make "a major cruise industry announcement."........

The entire article can be found here. http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/1218878127262010.xml&coll=3

The article also mentions that there will be an announcement in New Orleans as well. The City has already made arrangements for financing improvements to the cruise terminal to add another gangway that will allow for bigger ships and has already contacted a company concerning that construction.

I think the worst kept secret of Carnival is that the Fantasy will be moving to Mobile and that the Holiday is being sold. There is some speculation about what happens with New Orleans, but I don't think that Carnival is pulling out of New Orleans.

Carnival briefly announced on their web site a couple of months ago that a particular ship would be coming to New Orleans. They quickly pulled that announcement. Unless Carnival changes it mind, that ship will be coming to New Orleans. Will the ship sail 4 and 5 day cruises, 7 day cruises or some combination? Inquiring minds want to know....:confused:

I think the worst kept secret of Carnival is that the Fantasy will be moving to Mobile and that the Holiday is being sold. There is some speculation about what happens with New Orleans, but I don't think that Carnival is pulling out of New Orleans.

Carnival briefly announced on their web site a couple of months ago that a particular ship would be coming to New Orleans. They quickly pulled that announcement. Unless Carnival changes it mind, that ship will be coming to New Orleans. Will the ship sail 4 and 5 day cruises, 7 day cruises or some combination? Inquiring minds want to know....:confused:

Under your scenario New Orleans would be without a ship for 6-9 months. We know that whatever ship replaces Holiday will have to arrive around Feb and Triumph more than likely wouldnt move to New Orleans until the Fall of 09.

Under your scenario New Orleans would be without a ship for 6-9 months. We know that whatever ship replaces Holiday will have to arrive around Feb and Triumph more than likely wouldnt move to New Orleans until the Fall of 09.

We know this???? Or Mobile is without a ship for a while??

I guess Ill be glad to know one way or another what is going to happen.

I would love to see the Triumph or Victory moved to Mobile. I loved that class ship and I read somewhere recently that one or both will be moved to the 4 & 5 days schedule in the foreseeable future.

I guess with all the new ships coming out and an aging Fantasy class that are requiring expensive refits to stay on the up and up.

I am concerned however just how much traffic the port of Mobile can efficiently handle with parking and people moving and such. I guess will get a better picture of that next week.

I think the Triumph might be to big for Mobile, the turning basin cannot handle the larger ships but I am not sure what the size limit is. I think Moblie has handled having two ships fairly well. I did read that they had to rent some additional parking spaces.

I think Mobile will get one bigger ship. I think it would be great if NOLA got a 7 day ship again. We did our first cruise on the Conquest from NOLA, it is just a 3 hour drive for us. We sailed on NCL Spirit from NOLA last Dec., loved the port but not the ship.

I love all these totally uninformed opinions about the future of Carnival in Mobile and NOLA. Keep them coming.:p I would like to see the Fantasy or another larger ship move to Mobile, easier to get to from my house. 45 minutes and I am at the docks.

Are you speaking of Moi?

I will be back to post I told you so. Or not (if something changed in the past week or so).

Fantasy is not moving and there will be two Carnival ships sailing from New Orleans before the end of next year.

Archived