What is your LEAST favorite Caribbean port of call?

What is your least favorite Caribbean port of call?  

776 members have voted

1. 1. What is your least favorite Caribbean port of call?

• Montego Bay
    • Ocho Rios
    • St. Thomas
    • Cozumel
    • Grand Cayman
    • Costa Maya
    • Belize
    • Roatan
    • St. Maarten
    • Antigua
    • San Juan
    • Nassau
    • Freeport
    • Other

I'd have to say that Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman are our least favorite ports. We did an excursion to a beach (which was a private beach) and they still had vendors set up and then the smell of "Mary Jane" was overwhelming! (Huge billows of the smoke right across from the beach!) I would never feel safe walking from the downtown area back to the ship - even the jail looked scary which I guess is a good thing!

We also did not like Grand Cayman - okay beaches, but nothing as spectacular as St. Martin or St. Lucia. The only reason I would get off the ship there would be to jewelry shop.

Our daughters would say that Labadee is their least favorite. The vendors in the market were so pushy (or desperate for a sale) that it frightened them and our oldest was in tears. I thought it was a beautiful place, but felt so sorry for those that lived there as I know how poor they are. I told my daughters that those who worked in the market were the fortunate ones and we didn't haggle over any price - we just paid it.

I guess there's good and bad in all places!

And one more vote hits the board for Nassau... in between the high priced restaurants and tacky tourist trinket shops during our two visits there I will go out on a limb and say if I ever sail there again then I will run up a considerable bar tab on the ship poolside.

I would have to vote Belize.... I am very glad I went but the town was very very sad.... the excursions are probably okay I as fas as the town it is pretty bad...My nephew is there right now he goes every year to Belize to scuba dive and loves it... stays at a very nice resort but I haven't seen anything I liked about it...

Haven't been to Jamaica yet, so my vote goes to Costa Maya...wish we had never gottne off the ship. We spent an hour in the port and back we went.

I debated about picking San Juan, however we were there for only a short amout of time (7am-2pm), and if we were there for longer I might have found other interesting things to do. I'd like to try the zip lining and going to the rainforest.

Our least favorite would have to be Grand Cayman...once you have gone out to Sting Ray City there really isn't much to do. We usually stay on the ship in Grand Cayman.

We love Nassau after we discovered the #10 Bus to the beach, before we discovered that we really didn't care for Nassau.

We love Jamaica Mon! Pelican Bar, Tubing in the river, Appleton Rum...the way to enjoy Jamaica is on a private tour.

We also love Cozumel because it is a great beach day...moped around the island, pick a beach and order a seafood platter and a bucket of beer.

Chrispmoto, St. Thomas is great! Hire a private car and get a tour around the island, stop at one of the beautiful beaches, shop for liquor and jewelry, decide for yourself. You can also take the ferry to St. John...very beautiful.

Don't care for Nassau- dirty, stinky. Had a great time at Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica- didn't have too much trouble with pushy vendors. I do love St. Thomas- we've been there several times and enjoyed it, and we're going back in a couple of weeks. Grand Cayman- be there, done that, and I don't like the tendering at all.

I would have to say Jamaica. We got off the ship in Montego Bay, and the port was horrible. We lasted about an hour and a half before we all said we were getting back on the ship. The hassling was just too much. We were approached multiple times to buy marijuana and couldn't get people to understand the word no. Just my experience. But as my younger daughter said, we can say we have been there. Had a great afternoon on board the ship!

WOW! I'm only one of 3 who voted for St. Maarten!?

I have to say most of my reason for voting for it is that we missed our excursion there (overslept :rolleyes: ) and so we just went walking around. We got cornered by a timeshare lady who went from friendly to megabeyotch in 2 seconds as soon as she found out we weren't buyin what she was selling. Then the bombardment of other salespeople turned us off. I can't remember the last time I said No thank you so many times in a row!

But truth is, I don't know if that's St. Maarten's fault, or if you get that at alot of ports, we just had more excursions in other ports. If we ever decide to go walking around anywhere in the Caribbean, I'm gonna make tshirts that say "Not Interested, But Thank You Anyway"

I have to say that I am astonished that a couple people have posted that they hated St Thomas..one even calling it flithy.....:eek:

not my experience at all.

Megan's Bay was probably one of the nicest caribbean beaches I've seen. I thought it was magnificent.

100_1737.jpg

Love St. Thomas. dislike with extreme intensity.....Aruba

I do not have a least favourite port. I regard each one as different and an adventure. I had the least amount of fun in St. Thomas - it poured rain and all it seemed to be was jewellery stores (I hate shopping). It was too wet to go to the beach. So, we were bored. That doesn't mean I regard it as my least favourite. It was just a bad day. We'll try it again, and hopefully it will be better.;)

St. Thomas without a doubt. We try to avoid cruises that stop here whenever possible. The beach was crowded and not very clean.

That's nearly impossible to do on an Eastern cruise. Just one of the reasons I prefer the Western route, as long as there isn't a stop in Jamaica. I never want to go there and won't book a cruise that stops there.

We loved Nassau we were only there for 1/2 day and went over and swam with the Dolphins and the boat ride to the island is beautiful. We also loved St. Thomas I thought the views from top of the tram was breath taking.

Our least favorite was San Juan we arrived at 2:00 and sailed at 10:00 pm did the old and new San Juan tour I could not tell the difference between the two.

Christine (Ron)

I am actually looking foward to Jamacia since I plan on taking a ship sponsored tour to Rose Hall.

Rose Hall was very interesting, but as for the 'market' and 'shopping centre' stops, forget it. The frustrating thing about the last stop at the 'shopping centre' is that you can see the ship, but I would never attempt to get back on my own as my overall experience of Jamaica is that the locals are very unfriendly and sometimes downright threatening.

The Fern Gully and Shaw Park tour if you dock at Ocho Rios was OK, but again the market you have to negotiate after the tour was horrendous. Stay on the bus!

Done Jamaica twice now and if we choose an itinerary that includes it in the future, we will stay aboard. Better still we'll choose an itinerary that does not include Jamaica.

Archived