Molokini Crater Snorkel Questions

SBJB8184

DW and I will be doing the Molokini Crater Snorkel excursion from POA ship. I have several questions that maybe you can help answer.

Is this something that inexperienced snorkelers can do easily?

What company handles this excursion for NCL?

Do they offer prescription lenses/googles for us nearsided folks?

Can I rent an underwater camera with this company?

Do they offer a narrated DVD of our experience? How much?

So many questions, so little time.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

We spent two week land vacation in Maui + Big Island (just got back home yesterday). We booked a snorkeling tour to Molokini (2nd time we have done this) and can tell you that inexperienced snorkelers can easily handle this.

Our particular tour company (Kai Kanini) did have masks with corrective lenses available. They are probably not the ones that NCL does business with. I cannot remember if they offered DVD's but another snorkeling tour that we took on the Big Island was offering them for $69/DVD just to give you an idea of what they can run....

I'm pretty near-sighted and have found that the natural correction of the water helps enough that I can see pretty well. I've never heard mention of corrective masks/goggles on any snorkeling excursions to this point, but I never asked either. I've not been on POA, but recently every ship I HAVE been on has sold disposable water-proof cameras suitable for snorkeling, and will even develop them on board for a fee.

See if you can gat the name of the tour operator. There are many companies that go out to Molokini; some have corrective lenses - some for no charge, and some charge a few dollars.

We went on the Four Wnds II - they had boogie boards with a window for those who were afraid or couldn't snorkle, floating belts for non-swimmers (the kind water skiiers use), corrective masks, and all for no additional charge. They rent digital underwater cameras for $40 and you can take over 300 pictures with it - they give you a DVD with all of your images on it. The camera even has a bit of a zoom lense on it. They also sell DVDs of the trip but I don't remember how much since we took out own pictures.

This boat also has a water slide and for an additional charge (not sure how much) you can snuba - I think most companies offer snuba.

Hope this helps...

I have checked out Four Winds II web-site and sent them an email. They are not who NCL uses, and no one else has been able to tell me who the supplier is.

Four Winds II does advertise the DVD, and the rent-able digital camera. I just can't seem to determine who NCL uses.

Thanks for the help.

Have done Molokini trip about 5 times....just did it last month on our POAm cruise again. It has been and still was through Pacific Whale Foundation. I think they ofer an excellent product.

Yes.... they have precription masks....have underwater cameras for sale....buy one at ABC or something.....much cheaper. No DVD available.

Usually 2 stops...one at Molokini...then maybe Turtle Town....have seen turtles on every trip.

A light breakfast.....and then good lunch....is served....and after last stop....open bar.

Chuck

Molokai Chuck, thanks for this very informative answer. I just checked their web-site and see that they are very "green" in their approach and use of their revenue.

We are really looking forward to it. One learns so much from this forum.

The first time I ever snorkled was in the Molokini crater. It was great. The turtles are a sight that should not be missed. The came right up between my sister and myself , so close you could have reached out and touched them, we didn't the tour operator told us that was a no-no. Very easy for a first time snorkler.

Have a great time,

Annette

P.S. we booked through NCL, but I don't remember the name of the tour company.

Regular, film underwater cameras generally do not have a zoom feature, and often do not have a flash - both of which decrease the quality of the shot. I've never been satisfied with my film underwater pictures. I felt it was worth the money to rent a digital underwater camera - got way more pictures - since there were about 300 exposures on the card, I didjn't have to worry about wasting a shot, and with the zoom and flash, I could get closeups without being so close. Just my experience and opinion...

We did Molokini with PWF and they did offer a DVD as of last week. Tell them in advance and they will film you with the fish.

There were lots of first time and novices on our trip and most seemed to do fine.

Archived