did I "do good" planning our excursions?

Ratatouille

We're leaving soon! Our cruise is not till the 24th but we leave home a few days early for pre-cruise travel. Since a lot of other people have posted their plans on this WONDERFUL board I am doing the same in hopes of getting some last minute advice. There are so many amazing excursions to choose from that it's hard to whittle down the choices to suit one's budget and time constraints! So, here's the little we've got planned....(well, little amount of activities not $ but that's our choice for picking more expensive excursions :) )

Juneau - Harv & Marv whale watching tour

We requested the additional photo option becasue our cameras are little point and shoot type and this way we can focus on enjoying the excursion.

Skagway - Heli/Dog Sled and Emerald Lake drive

A bit nervous this might be too much to do in one day.Will we enjoy the drive without stressing about getting back to port in time?

Ketchikan - Rainforest Canopy Zipline

Booked thru cruise ship for the two older kids. NCL allows this as one of the "children" is 18 and the parents have to sign consent forms prior to departure from ship.

Mom would like to tour Saxman or Totem Bight.

Look forward to hearing your comments...

I'm confident you will have a tremendous and memorable experience with either "Harv" or "Marv" - and good photos too. Definitely a highlight of our trip last year.

Can't comment on the other excursion options.

If you ask your driver (probably Eileen's Dad) he might take you by Mendenhall Glacier for a few minutes on your way back to the ship, time permitting. For adults in Juneau - a brew at the Red Dog Saloon. It's an experience.

I also found some great enamel zipper pulls and pins (humpbacks, other wildlife and Alaska themes) - I'll dig up the name and address if anyone is interested. Much more authentic than some of the kitschy stuff. The shop is close to where the ships dock.

In Ketchikan it's easy to walk around - Creek Street, see folks fishing for salmon, there are a few interesting totems in town too - ask any shop keeper.

Have big fun and bring a waterproof shell!

HCBI

We're leaving soon! Our cruise is not till the 24th but we leave home a few days early for pre-cruise travel. Since a lot of other people have posted their plans on this WONDERFUL board I am doing the same in hopes of getting some last minute advice. There are so many amazing excursions to choose from that it's hard to whittle down the choices to suit one's budget and time constraints! So, here's the little we've got planned....(well, little amount of activities not $ but that's our choice for picking more expensive excursions :) )

Juneau - Harv & Marv whale watching tour

We requested the additional photo option becasue our cameras are little point and shoot type and this way we can focus on enjoying the excursion.

Skagway - Heli/Dog Sled and Emerald Lake drive

A bit nervous this might be too much to do in one day.Will we enjoy the drive without stressing about getting back to port in time?

Ketchikan - Rainforest Canopy Zipline

Booked thru cruise ship for the two older kids. NCL allows this as one of the "children" is 18 and the parents have to sign consent forms prior to departure from ship.

Mom would like to tour Saxman or Totem Bight.

Look forward to hearing your comments...

totem bight was kinda boring in my opinon,theres 2 totem poles when you enter , and then 4 inside,thats it , its very small,

also theres a clan house, it was ok, but to me i was hoping all the poles would have info and explanations of meanings of them, but nope , the tour guide tells you stories about the animals on the poles, but nothing about the poles themselves.

hopefully someone who has been to both parks can compare , weve only been to one, just my opinion..

have fun in alaska :D

In Skagway, IF you are flightseeing first, I strongly suggest, if possible you get your car prior. If you can not, at least call the local office and tell them you are there and will be picking up your car later.

You need to have a 4-5 hour block of time, for the Klondike Highway drive.

totem bight was kinda boring in my opinon,theres 2 totem poles when you enter , and then 4 inside,thats it , its very small,

also theres a clan house, it was ok, but to me i was hoping all the poles would have info and explanations of meanings of them, but nope , the tour guide tells you stories about the animals on the poles, but nothing about the poles themselves.

hopefully someone who has been to both parks can compare , weve only been to one, just my opinion..

It sounds like you missed out??? There are actually 14 totems at Totem Bight, and I post over and over, to print out and take the guidesheet with you. Definately will enhance your trip there. I have been to all the "totem" areas, Saxman, Totem Heritage Museum, Totem Bight, and Public Lands exhibit, and find Totem Bight very worthwhile.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/totembgh.htm

It sounds like you missed out??? There are actually 14 totems at Totem Bight, and I post over and over, to print out and take the guidesheet with you. Definately will enhance your trip there. I have been to all the "totem" areas, Saxman, Totem Heritage Museum, Totem Bight, and Public Lands exhibit, and find Totem Bight very worthwhile.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/totembgh.htm

where are the other poles at ???? we walked in past the clan house, over the wood bridge thing and theres like 4 there, with the grass in the middle/

where were all the rest ?

I saw more than just 4 inside, but that's neither here nor there. Overall, I too was a little bored with it. I went because my late 70's parents wanted to go. It was just so-so for me, but they enjoyed it.

Who was your guide? We had Debra and loved her. She was really funny and fun to talk to. I still thought the park itself was a yawn, but Debra was a welcome distraction! It was her birthday the day we went and we sang to her. The people in the gift shop gave her a gift also. By the way, isn't that a great gift shop?

We planned to see Totem Bight, but it would have required 3 hours and that would have been a little tight with our ship departure. We went to Totem Heritage instead, then walked through Married Man's Trail, Creek Street, and the SE Interpretive Center. It's a good alternative if you have limited time.

In Skagway, IF you are flightseeing first, I strongly suggest, if possible you get your car prior. If you can not, at least call the local office and tell them you are there and will be picking up your car later.

You need to have a 4-5 hour block of time, for the Klondike Highway drive.

Thank you! Great suggestion!!

How is the bridge we have to drive over? It is scary?

Wm Spear Designs - great authentic stuff - some of which reflects Bill's AK humor (go ahead, ask about what a "Spenard Divorce" is ...) but only if you appreciate Western humor.

Otherwise just buy some beautiful things to remind you of Alaska. I love the Eskimo style halibut and the deer mouse is my little good luck charm. Think I'll get a seal next time. Also look for the Glacier Bay pin if that's part of your trip (really beautiful). More stuff in the store than I recall seeing online - fun just to browse before selecting.

The building is close by the dock, but a bit funky. It is upstairs. The link below has a map and links to a bit about Bill - and you can see some of his work. It's probably worth printing the map/directions page to take with you:

http://wmspear.com/location.php

I like to support local business people and craftspeople while traveling, and these are very nice, reasonably priced keepsakes/gifts. In my not-so-humble (catlike) opinion anyway. Happy shopping, HCBI

We just got back from cruising Golden Princess to Alaska last week. The only one of the excursions you mentioned that we participated in was visiting Totem Bight State Park.

Time was tight in Ketchikan, and we had wee ones with us, so we opted for the Lumberjacks and Totem Poles excursion from the ship (the only cruise line excursion we did). The Totems were, surprisingly, the highlight of the cruise for my 9yo! Our guide told stories explaining the origins of each pole, and my son is now fascinated with the tales of Fog Woman and Raven.

Anyhow, it's not one of the more adventuresome tours (although there is a little walking involved), but I think it would be great for someone who is interested in native culture and folklore.

We just got back from cruising Golden Princess to Alaska last week. The only one of the excursions you mentioned that we participated in was visiting Totem Bight State Park.

Time was tight in Ketchikan, and we had wee ones with us, so we opted for the Lumberjacks and Totem Poles excursion from the ship (the only cruise line excursion we did). The Totems were, surprisingly, the highlight of the cruise for my 9yo! Our guide told stories explaining the origins of each pole, and my son is now fascinated with the tales of Fog Woman and Raven.

Anyhow, it's not one of the more adventuresome tours (although there is a little walking involved), but I think it would be great for someone who is interested in native culture and folklore.

my husband was just talking about the fog woman story and how the guide said DEVOUR alot.. he ee heee he was listening and recording it, i was looking around..

where are the other poles at ???? we walked in past the clan house, over the wood bridge thing and theres like 4 there, with the grass in the middle/

where were all the rest ?

I posted the web site above, they are listed, as I mentioned.

Archived