independant travel

pkfamily

We have just returned from a very enjoyable trip on Oriana around the Med on trip x811.:p It was made a lot easier by the help given by members of this forum.

We would now like to offer help back as we have gathered a good knowledge of bar prices, facilities on the ship and how to do trips independantly (Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome, Naples, Palermo, Valencia, Gibralter) if anyone is interested reply and we will try to help.

As eveyone said we are hooked and have booked again for next year.Has anyone done Istanbul or Athens independantly or do we need to go on an organised trip.

thanks

Paul

hi there pk family.we have booked a cruise on oriana for may 09,and will be going to naples as one of our stops.could you tell me if you went to pompei and if so how was it and is it far from naples.many thanks and glad you enjoyed the cruise.happy sailing .. humpy..

Hi, we've done Pompeii on our own, walking from the cruise terminal to the rail station (20/25 min walk) then catching the train to Pompeii Scavi which is the station for the ruins. It took about 40 mins if I remember correctly and the entrance to Pompeii is just across the road from the station. The trains are fairly frequent. We got off the ship early to get a head start on the tours and got back to Naples by around 2pm having spent about 3 hours looking round the site. I can give you more details if you think you'd like to do this excursion independently.

Most of my reply is the same as kruzseeka but I would add that there was a free bus put on by P and O to take you to the train station so it was even easier. The site was busy and had lots of hills. The excursion only gives 2 hours in the site so you only see the main street.

You can check the train timetables on trenitalia. I will post the link if I can find it.

Paul

In Pompeii be sure to pick up a guide dog. :D

They loiter near the entrance and will happily guide you around the site, often leading you to places you might otherwise not see.

You will see several murals of their ancestors; it is nce to see a breed standard maintained over 20 centuries. :)

Seriously I kid not. The dog joined us and took us in to the amphitheatre near the entrance while the guide remained on the road outside. The dog did not expect a tip and led the way for half the tour and eventually left us to our own devices and went off for a chat with its mates.

Hi, what did you think of the Oriana compared to the Arcadia? Arcadia is the only P&O ship we have cruised on and although we loved the aft staterooms and suites the ship didn't really have a "wow" factor. Did you like the Oriana? We are on the Oriana end of October and would appreciate someone's true comparison. What was your stateroom like? Oh and was there enough room for everyone to sunbathe? We have always had our own sunloungers but won't have on the Oriana. We aren't really "foodies" so the food on Arcadia was perfectly adequate for us so was it about the same? Thanks in advance.

Certainly will Sue, we have done 3 cruises on Arcadia too but have always fancied the Oriana and now are we in a position to do a 4 week cruise, having always done fly cruises before in the Caribbean (except for the last one to the med). Only about 9 weeks to go and I am still trying to get rid of the lbs I put on on the last one. Where are you going on the Oriana?

• 3 weeks later...
Janey

I've doen 3 Arcadia cruises (and 2 Aurora) and am on Oriana for first time too next May ........please tell us your thoughts too when you return from your Oriana cruise - cause I'll be interested !

Libralass

We have been on Oriana several times, indeed it was our first ship and we love it. Cabins are fine, crew great, the restaurant and food are as normal, the buffet is spacious and there is plenty of room to go along and just jump in and get what you want without having to wait for the terminally indecisive to decide which piece of ham they want. The Crows Nest bar is very nice, my favourite is the Terrace Bar which is on Deck 12 at the stern and is an open semi-circular area where one can sit having a cocktail as one sails away from wherever the day was spent (Norwegian Fjords are spectacular). It is a proper ship not dis-similar to Cunard although not quite at the same level. I love Oriana and QM2 equally whih may say more about me than the 2 ships.

Let me know if you enjoy it.

Jim

Capt Pugwash, I really had to laugh at your comment at the "terminally indecisive about which but of ham to choose". I have seen many times people pick up a bit of ham and put it down, pick up another bit, put it down etc etc. Next time I see that I shall JUST have to say something! Don't these people realise that other people have to eat what they have rejected? Anyway 8 weeks to go so am getting quite excited and starting a diet NOW!

We are doing 30 nights Southampton to Caribbean (Spain, Bahamas, New Orleans, Mexico, Jamaica, Grant Cayman, Virgin Islands, Maderia, Spain back to Southampton. We booked this 18 months ago so it has crept up quickly but it is only 6 weeks since we got off the Arcadia so it has worked out quite well. Hope there aren't loads of bad tempered oldies on board but if there are I shall sort them out!

Archived