Acapulco, Ixtapa, Manzanillo ... Excursion Suggestions?

ChiBearsSuperFan

Going to these three stops on a Carnival cruise in November. We're looking for excursion suggestions. Were unsure if we want to do anything in the water as we are not sure about the water temperatures in November. Besides, is there anything to see in the water should we want to go snorkeling? I know it isnt like the Caribbean water. We prefer to do excursions that have some activity to them. Nothing too physical. We dont care too much for the "get on the bus, see the sights" types of tours either. Also, if you know of any non-ship excursion companies, we'd love to hear about them and your experience with them. We love to zip line but dont see there are any at those stops to go on. Any hints/tips/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

I'm sure you've seen the "blue banner" ad on this page. I would suggest checking out their website. They have many great tours listed for Acapulco and their prices are outstanding. We are doing the Shotover jet boat excursion with them next month. I will post a review when I get back.

Kristy

You can create your own excursion(s). In Acapulco, a city I'm familiar with, there are independent drivers/guides who'll create a tour for you - taking you to an itinerary they, or you, develop. The advantage of these independent tours is that you're likely to see areas of the cities/destinations the ship-affiliated trips don't take you to - and take you on your schedule, not something to accommodate a larger group.

• 4 weeks later...
Going to these three stops on a Carnival cruise in November. We're looking for excursion suggestions. Were unsure if we want to do anything in the water as we are not sure about the water temperatures in November. Besides, is there anything to see in the water should we want to go snorkeling? I know it isnt like the Caribbean water. We prefer to do excursions that have some activity to them. Nothing too physical. We dont care too much for the "get on the bus, see the sights" types of tours either. Also, if you know of any non-ship excursion companies, we'd love to hear about them and your experience with them. We love to zip line but dont see there are any at those stops to go on. Any hints/tips/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

We used a lady from the Pink Lady Tour group we found on Cruise Critic last year when we were in Acapulco. She did such a fabulous job of taking us to the shops, beach as well as setting up dinner reservations for us to see the cliff divers. She also picked us back up at the pier and took us to dinner and back. Great lady so much in fact that when we go back in January we have booked her out for the day. Her name is Olga Olmedo and her email is oescuen@hotmail.com. Please let her know if you email her you found her on Cruise Critic and she was refferred by me Chris Penland. You will love her service and professionalism.

If you can guarantee me a win tomorrow against Carolina, I can send you to a 15 mile beach outside of Zihuatanejo for lunch...too rough to swim but great food and walking the beach is always good....?

In Acapulco we did a kayaking excursion- I don't recall the name. It was a ton of fun, but much harder than we anticipated. This was a "follow the guide" kayaking in the bay- and we went out far, and relatively quickly. We had expected a "here's an area, stay in it" sort of thing. The life vests left a lot to be desired (they were canvas that had a mouth tube, and you blew them up- they did float, but I kept expecting a tag that said "this is not a life saving device.") We were there in January and the water was very pleasant and great for a swim. Acapulco was a very crowded city, and I was glad I went on an excursion. I would have been overwhelmed on my own.

Zihua is a place you can do on your own. No need to join a group here. We went to Las Gatas beach and the place we sat outside during the day provided us free snorkel equipment. You were right- not much to see, but there were some fish, and you could look at the reef. This was a fantastic place to get a massage on the beach ($20ish and a great massage), and there were dope-on-a-rope, um, parasailing, companies around taking people out. I didn't see any jet-ski rentals, but other beaches probably have that.

In Manzanillo we did the 'bus tour' thing and enjoyed it. We did the (way too expensive) colonial tour, because the tour we signed up for was canceled (plantation tour). But we got to see the volcano smoking, and some neat little towns, and eat the best lunch I've ever had.

I have been snorkeling in Acapulco a few times, I really like it. You have to be around the rocks to see the colonies of color. La Roqueta island is really good for snorkeling.

I hate to say this but if you don't want to be with the "Get on the Bus" crowd then you don't want to be with a tour company. Get a driver instead.

Zip Lining isn't available in Acapulco so that's not an option. But there are many other exciting activities for you and your family. Bungee jumping, para sailing, water skiing, the list is endless.

Check out Parque Aventura in Ixtapa for zip lining. We have not tried it, yet, but will at the end of November. http://www.parque-aventura.com/

You can make your own excursion/tour in Acapulco with a private driver and tour guide. I highly recommend Ines Maria Carranza, one of the Acapulco Pink Ladies. She was AWESOME! It was my mother's birthday and she had a large arrangement of flowers and a beautiful birthday sign waiting for us at debarkation in Acapulco. She took me to eat authentic Mexican food, which I LOVED! Best meal of the entire trip. She will take you all over and anywhere you want to go.

You can contact her via email pinkladyaca@hotmail.com

Have fun!

Laura

Maui

I have been snorkeling in Acapulco a few times, I really like it. You have to be around the rocks to see the colonies of color. La Roqueta island is really good for snorkeling.

I hate to say this but if you don't want to be with the "Get on the Bus" crowd then you don't want to be with a tour company. Get a driver instead.

Zip Lining isn't available in Acapulco so that's not an option. But there are many other exciting activities for you and your family. Bungee jumping, para sailing, water skiing, the list is endless.

I'm glad you posted about the snorkeling at LaRoqueta island. We (our group of 3 couples) just decided that is what we wanted to do there. But, I was a bit worried it really wouldn't be a good snorkeling place, or you would see much. Is the water rough there?

we were on this tour with you, cant go wrong with maria she was such a sweet lady she even brought little gifts for everyone on our tour and made sure everyone enjoyed there time with her. Chuck and Dawn

in acapulco get ahold of Maria she is a pink lady we used her she is so sweet and we did everything and then some for a great price

Ines Maria Carranza

pinkladyaca@hotmail.com

we even were with her when we had a 6.0 earthquake cant ask for much more LOLOLOL

tell her scott and marion sent you to her

We too used a pink lady, Maria Inez. We got so much more out of this tour than those we talked to that took a ship tour. She was waiting for us, let us give her suggestions on what we wanted to see, spent the entire day taking us all over, including areas the buses just wouldn't have gone to, and we got to choose how much time at each place and if we wanted to shop or not. You can reach Maria at pinkladyaca@hotmail.com. Please tell her Doris sent you and we are looking forward to someday getting back to the area and using her once again. Her price, although I can't remember the exact price was very very reasonable. There were four of us.

You can make your own excursion/tour in Acapulco with a private driver and tour guide. I highly recommend Ines Maria Carranza, one of the Acapulco Pink Ladies.Maui

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I went to Acapulco 9/29/08 and wanted to just walk around. As we left the ship we were accosted by a flock of SOLICITORS. We turned everyone away until the one that did not accost us came to us. "Cesar" in his Official White Suit, did ask what we were going to do, when we said that we were going over to see the fort, he said, I will make sure you can get across the highway! He stopped traffic and we crossed. We continued to the fort while Cesar was a fountain of history. As we were 3/4 up the hill and we knew that we liked this man, I asked his charge and then hired him for 3 hours on a walking tour that was the best experience on our 18 day cruise. Cesar is very sharp in mind and experience. His presence is a deterrence to solicitors and anybody who might to take advantage of tourists. Even though we were not as impressed with the city as we would have been 40 years ago, we were VERY IMPRESSED and would recommend him as a tour guide. For anyone going to Acapulco you can get Cesar at his cell phone # 044.74.41.03.25.39 or E-mail at celss09@hotmail.com

My wife and I went to Acapulco 9/29/08 and wanted to just walk around. As we left the ship we were accosted by a flock of SOLICITORS. We turned everyone away until the one that did not accost us came to us. "Cesar" in his Official White Suit, did ask what we were going to do, when we said that we were going over to see the fort, he said, I will make sure you can get across the highway! He stopped traffic and we crossed. We continued to the fort while Cesar was a fountain of history. As we were 3/4 up the hill and we knew that we liked this man, I asked his charge and then hired him for 3 hours on a walking tour that was the best experience on our 18 day cruise. Cesar is very sharp in mind and experience. His presence is a deterrence to solicitors and anybody who might to take advantage of tourists. Even though we were not as impressed with the city as we would have been 40 years ago, we were VERY IMPRESSED and would recommend him as a tour guide. For anyone going to Acapulco you can get Cesar at his cell phone # 044.74.41.03.25.39 or E-mail at celss09@hotmail.com

How much did Cesar charge you for the 3 hours?

How much did Cesar charge you for the 3 hours?

I live in Manzanillo and in November the water is clear and in the 80s. It is one of the best months to dive and snorkel.

Just curious, since you live in Manzanillo....what do you feel would be something nice to do while in port? :)

I live in Manzanillo and in November the water is clear and in the 80s. It is one of the best months to dive and snorkel.

Tell me about Barre de Navidad. I have a tour booked with Chimal Tours to go there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived