Is there such "post cruise blues?"

nanny4sure

I have cruised from the West coast and had to spend the day traveling back home. It took us a day or so to recooperate and we thought it was the trip back home - all the hurry up and wait stuff. But this cruise we drove to the port and it was a shorter cruise too. Several of the group have called me and we all seem to be in a funk! Is this a typical after affect for anyone else? Or we just being silly?? :confused:

I also 'suffer' from it when I get back. It doesn't seem to matter if I was on a quick 4-day or a longer 16-day, coming back to reality after a great vacation is rough for me. There's all the planning and anticipation then you get to go and suddenly, when you come back home and say go back to work, it's like there's nothing to look forward to. I have actually found it's a little easier if I already have my next cruise booked - that way I do have something else to look forward to.

That's probably a good idea. This past cruise was not so great for a lot of reasons and I was really looking forward to just getting home. ANd then the onslaught of calls asking me what was this funk everyone seemed to be feeling. So I guess I just need to plan ahead - great idea!! THanks!

It seems useless to try to explain post-cruise-blues to anyone who hasn't been on a cruise. But those blues are real, and they are horrendous.

As was mentioned earlier, having a deposit on the next cruise eases the pain of disembarkation day.

About the fifth day of any vacation I realize that the end is near. The first couple of days are long and then after that it is a rush to get every thing in and it never happens. It is a real let down but still nice to get back home. Memories of the vacation are always there and you can always sit and laugh and talk about the photos you have. If you take video you can watch that and recall the fun you had. We try to take two nice vacations a year. This year is our first cruise. 6 to 7 months apart on a trip is not that long. Just feel blessed that you can actually get to go on such a nice vacation and consider that blessing. There are many people that I know who can not even get away for a weekend due to financial difficulties. I am thankful that I can do these things. There was a time that I could not. I feel fortunate to have what I do have and don't dwell on the wants. Have fun on the next vacation and don't worry about it ending. I am sure another one will be in the future and what fun it is to plan.

Yes there is a post cruise blues, But worse yet is the " I don't have another cruise booked blues" :(

Cori

Post cruise blues and the ``I don't have another cruise booked'' blues go hand in hand. They pretty much are the same. Best way DH & I found to combat the blues is to always have another cruise in our future -- whether that cruise is already booked, in the planning stage or in our dreams.:D

Even when we knowwe have another cruise booked that leaves within the next few months, we still suffer from those post cruise blues. The closer we get to home port, the worse those blues can get. We know we will be leaving great friends we met on the cruise and the great places we saw together will soon become part of our memories, not our expectations.

Go for setting new expectations. Start planning your next cruise before you board your current cruise -- and then you always have another part of your life to look forward to, a part of life that could just be better than the part of life you just expeirenced.

Dianne

The plan/book your next cruise is a good remedy. I've also found relief by scrapbooking all my pictures and memorabilia. If you traveled with friends, why not have a post-cruise party, where you can relive the memories? I usually do a post-cruise hotel stay, just to slowly get me back to reality.

• Administrators
I have cruised from the West coast and had to spend the day traveling back home. It took us a day or so to recooperate and we thought it was the trip back home - all the hurry up and wait stuff. But this cruise we drove to the port and it was a shorter cruise too. Several of the group have called me and we all seem to be in a funk! Is this a typical after affect for anyone else? Or we just being silly?? :confused:

Absolutely. :) If you do a search here for PCD or Post Cruise Depression you'll see lots of posts about it. The sentiment is nearly universal that most of us feel it, and the only sure cure is to book another cruise. Even one a long way away seems to stave off PCD. So get to researching! ;)

I suffer from PCD (Post Cruise Depression) after every cruise. As others have said, the only known cure is booking another cruise.

My last bout with PCD lasted almost a year...cruised in Jan. 07 and didn't book our next cruise until Dec. 07...for a sailing in Jan. 08! :eek: Those were the longest 11 months of my life! :p But my symptoms were gone as soon as I had a booking number! :)

I suffer from PCD (Post Cruise Depression) after every cruise. As others have said, the only known cure is booking another cruise.

My last bout with PCD lasted almost a year...cruised in Jan. 07 and didn't book our next cruise until Dec. 07...for a sailing in Jan. 08! :eek: Those were the longest 11 months of my life! :p But my symptoms were gone as soon as I had a booking number! :)

Hi Debbie. Your next booked cruise just didn't work out for us with Gwynn's time off for vacation. But we hope to sail with you again someday soon.

We enjoyed every minute of our cruise with you guys. In fact, we traveled over to Jack & Ellen's neck of the woods of Ohio a few weeks ago to check in on them. Took our granchildren and Ellen gave us a great tour of the state park where she & Jack live.

Dianne

I think most all are afflicted with PCB; I sometimes wonder if the reduction to a normal diet doesn't have something to do with it.

:D :D

Nah, it's knowing you have to cook for your family, clean their rooms and pay for pizzas and restaurant meals when you get home.

first morning you come home from a cruise you reach for the phone and call room service. No one answers and then you really get depressed as you realize no one is going to come in and make your bed, clean your bathroom or wash all the dirty towels.:eek:

Dianne

Hi Debbie. Your next booked cruise just didn't work out for us with Gwynn's time off for vacation. But we hope to sail with you again someday soon.

We enjoyed every minute of our cruise with you guys. In fact, we traveled over to Jack & Ellen's neck of the woods of Ohio a few weeks ago to check in on them. Took our granchildren and Ellen gave us a great tour of the state park where she & Jack live.

Dianne

Hi Dianne! We had a great time with you and Gwynn too! Yes, we will sail togther again someday, I'm sure of it! :)

That's so great that you were able to visit with Jack and Ellen, sounds like a fun day. Isn't it awesome the way cruising and CC bring people together? It is one of the best parts of the whole cruise experience for us! :)

(Sorry for the highjack... :o )

Dianne

Hi there! Haven't seen you since Dawn Princess! Everything going OK?

Hi there! Haven't seen you since Dawn Princess! Everything going OK?

Life is going just as expected here. Have babysat2 of our grandchildren about 7 days a week for the past 3 months. School has started now and Gwynn & I are really looking forward to our next cruise which is a reposition cruise.

All of the ports from Vancouver to Alaska and back to San Francisco have to be cooler than temps we have in Ohio now.

So how is life going with you now?

One of the greatest things Gwynn & I get out of these boards is to cross paths again with people we have sailed with before.

Love to hear from all of you and love to keep in touch.

Dianne

So how is life going with you now?

One of the greatest things Gwynn & I get out of these boards is to cross paths again with people we have sailed with before.

Love to hear from all of you and love to keep in touch.

Dianne

We are good. Didn't expect to do another cruise so soon, but friends talked us into a 4 nighter out of Galveston next month. We can just drive to the port this time. Got a good deal on it and then the price dropped, so now we have $100 OBC!!! I was doing the happy dance today!

The only remedy for this is to; A put all your pics in an album amd remanis (sp) while having your fav. foo foo drink, and B start planning you next cruise. We're going on our 1st B2B cruise next Jan and I bet I'm going to be in a REAL FUNK after that one.

Archived