My Conquest Experience 8/10-8/17

jensing317

We just returned yesterday from our 8/10 Conquest trip and while we had a great time for the most part, there were a few glitches. Nothing major and nothing that kept us from having the time of our lives. I'm still working on uploading some 300 pictures as well as the week's Capers and all of the age groups of Camp Carnival Capers to webshots and I'll get a link posted as soon as I can.

Embarkation and Day 1

We (party of 5 including myself, DS8, DM and two of our friends) arrived at the port around 10:30 and unloaded our luggage with the porters. I left my party at the pier and went to Lighthouse to park the car. Very easy to find and the shuttle was right there waiting. If you are coming with a party of more than 3 or 4, I highly recommend doing this as the shuttles get full with luggage and people pretty quick.

Got back to the pier and met up with my group. Got through security and check in really quick and were given a card that let us know we were in zone 5. We were then given a letter saying that the ship had been delayed 2 hours coming in (found out later that it was due to engine problems) and our boarding would be delayed. I’m not sure what they considered delayed because we were on board and eating lunch by noon. After lunch, we went exploring. We had to wait until 2 to get into our rooms and when they said 2 they meant 2:15. They never opened our doors but a group of us waiting on the stairs finally decided to go for it. No one told us to leave so….in we went.

We were in an 8C balcony room on the Verandah deck (room 8378) Room was nice sized and we are now balcony snobs. It’s port side and right below the Lido deck. We never heard a sound from upstairs so don’t let that be a concern if you are considering this category. We met our room steward Ronald who made friends with my DS immediately. He was quick with anything we asked for and turned a blind eye when I replaced their liquor for ours in the fridge. He told me “I know the deal…you’re cool.” Earned him a nice tip right up front.

We had early seating in the Monet. The rumors are true, there are only two dining times now; 6 and 8 for both dining rooms. Our waiter was Nengah (sounds like Ninja) he was great and catered to Tyler. Tyler’s not much for sweets and it bothered Nengah every night that Tyler refused to order a dessert. He never batted an eye when he ordered two entrees and two salads, but it became the big joke to get Tyler to order a dessert. He was assisted by Roy from the Philippines who was as sweet as he could be. Tyler told him that his birthday was the 16th and he said that his daughter’s birthday was the 14th and that he missed her very much so he was glad he could celebrate Tyler’s birthday with him.

I do have to say that I am not a fan of the new menus. I was a huge fan of the smoked salmon appetizer and it is gone. The replacement is not good at all. It’s cured salmon with tomatoes and candied apples. Basically, it tastes like fishy tomatoes. I had the NY Strip steak and a baked potato with a side of mac and cheese. I have to say, that was probably some of the best mac & cheese I’ve ever had. This was followed by warm choc melting cake for dessert. The first of many for our table for the week. :)

The Monet is the dining room at the aft of the ship and it is BUMPY. You can feel every thing back there but the entertainment and the treatment you receive makes the rough ride insignificant.

We went to watch the game show trivia and play some bingo but the day caught up with us and we headed off to bed.

I'll post more later.

We just returned yesterday from our 8/10 Conquest trip and while we had a great time for the most part, there were a few glitches. Nothing major and nothing that kept us from having the time of our lives. I'm still working on uploading some 300 pictures as well as the week's Capers and all of the age groups of Camp Carnival Capers to webshots and I'll get a link posted as soon as I can.

Embarkation and Day 1

We (party of 5 including myself, DS8, DM and two of our friends) arrived at the port around 10:30 and unloaded our luggage with the porters. I left my party at the pier and went to Lighthouse to park the car. Very easy to find and the shuttle was right there waiting. If you are coming with a party of more than 3 or 4, I highly recommend doing this as the shuttles get full with luggage and people pretty quick.

Got back to the pier and met up with my group. Got through security and check in really quick and were given a card that let us know we were in zone 5. We were then given a letter saying that the ship had been delayed 2 hours coming in (found out later that it was due to engine problems) and our boarding would be delayed. I’m not sure what they considered delayed because we were on board and eating lunch by noon. After lunch, we went exploring. We had to wait until 2 to get into our rooms and when they said 2 they meant 2:15. They never opened our doors but a group of us waiting on the stairs finally decided to go for it. No one told us to leave so….in we went.

We were in an 8C balcony room on the Verandah deck (room 8378) Room was nice sized and we are now balcony snobs. It’s port side and right below the Lido deck. We never heard a sound from upstairs so don’t let that be a concern if you are considering this category. We met our room steward Ronald who made friends with my DS immediately. He was quick with anything we asked for and turned a blind eye when I replaced their liquor for ours in the fridge. He told me “I know the deal…you’re cool.” Earned him a nice tip right up front.

We had early seating in the Monet. The rumors are true, there are only two dining times now; 6 and 8 for both dining rooms. Our waiter was Nengah (sounds like Ninja) he was great and catered to Tyler. Tyler’s not much for sweets and it bothered Nengah every night that Tyler refused to order a dessert. He never batted an eye when he ordered two entrees and two salads, but it became the big joke to get Tyler to order a dessert. He was assisted by Roy from the Philippines who was as sweet as he could be. Tyler told him that his birthday was the 16th and he said that his daughter’s birthday was the 14th and that he missed her very much so he was glad he could celebrate Tyler’s birthday with him.

I do have to say that I am not a fan of the new menus. I was a huge fan of the smoked salmon appetizer and it is gone. The replacement is not good at all. It’s cured salmon with tomatoes and candied apples. Basically, it tastes like fishy tomatoes. I had the NY Strip steak and a baked potato with a side of mac and cheese. I have to say, that was probably some of the best mac & cheese I’ve ever had. This was followed by warm choc melting cake for dessert. The first of many for our table for the week. :)

The Monet is the dining room at the aft of the ship and it is BUMPY. You can feel every thing back there but the entertainment and the treatment you receive makes the rough ride insignificant.

We went to watch the game show trivia and play some bingo but the day caught up with us and we headed off to bed.

I'll post more later.

You must have had some rough waters....we never experienced any bumpy sensations while dining in the Monet.....good review so far....keep going:)

Monday Day 2

I had forgotten how good you sleep while your on a cruise.

We made our way up for a very late breakfast as we decided how to spend the day. Tyler and I decided to go swimming while my mother chose to attend the shore excursion talk. On the Lido deck, I thought I’d have a tough time finding a place to sit but I never did.

I swam a little but couldn’t get comfortable with all of the parents with their diapered babies floating around. SO, we moved up to the area around the water slide and Tyler had fun there. Lunch was a trip to Sur Mer for the famous fish and chips. OH MY GOODNESS they were so good. Perfect.

At 3, I made my way to the Sky Bar for our Roll Call meet and greet. I had a great time meeting and visiting with these people I’d spent nearly 6 months getting to know online. Since it was formal night and we all had early seating, we stayed there for about an hour before heading back to clean up and get dressed.

My group did indeed dress up for dinner. I’m all in favor of a traditional formal night. There was a mix of cocktail dresses and suits to formal gowns and tuxes but for the most part, everyone was in their best. Tyler had never had lobster before so that’s what he ordered and LOVED. I had the lobster as well but I think my favorite part of the meal was the risotto. The entire meal was wonderful and they sang That's Amore. They got big cheers when the maitre'd announced that they would not be singing again until the last night. :)

Tyler went to camp after dinner while my dm and I went to the show. (Formidable) This was the Las Vegas style show and I have to say I was turned off. French music and girls in thongs is just not my thing. No flames please. It just wasn’t for me. We decided to go and play cards on the balcony and ended up watching the Olympics instead. We had a towel rabbit and a happy face cookie waiting for us when we got back which thrilled ds.

You must have had some rough waters....we never experienced any bumpy sensations while dining in the Monet.....good review so far....keep going:)

Despite being hurricane season, last week was perfect for sea conditions. 5 foot reported was the worst we heard. We also ate in the Monet, and it was vibration from the screws that Jensing is talking about.

Hey, Jensing! Glad to hear you had a great cruise! I can't believe you are ready to post your review already. It will take me a while. We didn't get back until 1:00 in the morning today :eek:!

Glad to hear you and Scott got back OK. I bet you are tired at work today. I can't wait to hear your review and did you get the DVD?

Hey Jen...I just turned the computer on...:p

Hey, Jensing! Glad to hear you had a great cruise! I can't believe you are ready to post your review already. It will take me a while. We didn't get back until 1:00 in the morning today :eek:!

I was wondering if your flight home was better than your flight getting there!?!?! Any first class upgrades this time?? :)

Send me your email address and I'll send you the picture from the meet and greet my email is my screenname at aim dot com

Day 3 Tuesday

Got up and had cereal up on the Lido deck and then it was off to camp for Tyler. I went to the sky pool and got some sun. It’s very nice and quiet back there. At 11 DM and I went to the shop talk. We didn’t get a seat close enough to catch anything but it was informative. That was finished in enough time to pick up T from camp and head down to lunch. I had a ham and cheese from the deli…YUM. T ate fish again. There was NO wait up there again.

After lunch T went back to camp and I headed to the galley tour. It wasn’t as interesting as I thought it would be but it was funny to see the trays upon trays of ramekins with wcmc ready to cook. After that was through, I went back to the room for a little quiet time.

We at dinner in the dining room again. I had the proscuitto ruffles, French onion soup (yummy) and the flat iron steak. Steak was a little dry but it wasn’t bad.

We had no interest in the Motown show so we went back to our friends room for more smuggled cosmos. We’re taking it easy tomorrow in Jamaica.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...our friends booked about 3 weeks before we left and could only get a guarantee balcony. When we got to the pier, they still had no idea where there room would be. Lucky for them, the upgrade fairy sent them to room 8442 on the Verandah deck. It's not a wrap but that balcony was HUGE!!! There was room for at least 6 deck chairs and room to walk. Needless to say, we (who booked in January) were rather jealous :) although we did get to make quite good use of it.

Day 4 Wednesday Jamaica

We didn’t have anything planned for Jamaica except for a little shopping and a little sight seeing. Since we had been told that safety can sometimes be an issue, we opted for the Hot Spot Shuttle and when we stepped in, we were glad we did. Their busses are air conditioned!! We did the hop on/hop off route getting off at the recommended shopping area first. I bought a beautiful strand of Mallorca pearls. 21 inch necklace for $30. We bought some rum and rum cakes, t-shirts, and other random stuff. We hopped back on the bus and went to Margaritaville. DS has a sensory disorder and can't handle small loud spaces and was in panic mode about 5 minutes after we got there so we didn't spend anymore time there. It looks like it could be fun but I wouldn't take a child there again. We got back on the shuttle and rode around seeing Jamaica and then returned to the ship. A friend of ours went out on his own and went to the Jamaican Bobsled Café and said it was a real dive with a lot of memorabilia.

We went back to the ship and had lunch on board. Fish and chips for me again. They are too good! I don’t think Sur Mer ever got the recognition it deserved on this trip because I never had to wait in line long.

For dinner that night, I had the fried mozzarella, the beef tenderloin and noodle salad and the rack of lamb. I loved every bite of this meal. The beef tenderloin and noodle salad is FABULOUS!!! I wanted more. I had never had lamb before so this was a new experience but it tasted like prime rib. Melted in my mouth!! For dessert, I tried the Bitter and Blanc because I had heard so much about it here and it did NOT disappoint! Oh my gosh!! I think this was the first time the whole cruise that I felt stuffed.

Tonight was Deja the Diva of Deception. She was pretty good. I loved the end where she came out and made snow. It was a perfect end to a perfect day.

Day 5 Thursday Grand Cayman Islands

We had made plans ahead of time for a shore excursion so we got ourselves up extra early and had breakfast in our room (something we all loved…they make it too easy!!) and made our way downstairs to tender over. We did the Atlantis Underwater Semi-Submarine. We had a terrific time with our tour guide Julian. He may be young but he was extremely knowledgeable. We saw two shipwrecks and lots of different fish. The diver at one point went into the water to feed the fish and he did a great job making sure that the entire boat got to see what he was doing. We did get mooned by a couple of guys who were snorkeling. If those guys are reading this…we DO have pictures. J

That tour lasted about an hour and then we went on our shopping trip. We bought several nice things and got to see a little bit of the island. I do have to say that it was extremely hot and humid that day so it made it really hard to enjoy ourselves. We were dripping wet and hadn’t even been in the water. We tendered back and had a late lunch. I decided to try Paul’s deli and it did not disappoint. I’m not a pastrami fan but I did LOVE the hot ham and cheese sandwich. Yum.

That afternoon, DS wanted to go up to Camp Carnival so I rested until it was time to get up and get dressed for dinner.

This was the second formal night and again, my table dressed up. We were disappointed to see that there were many who did not. For dinner I had, the wild mushroom soup (which was good but very gritty and I sent back for Chicken Noodle Soup) the fried shrimp and the filet mignon. Wasn’t as enjoyable as the night before but it was all good. I chose apple pie alamode and didn’t care for it. It tasted like a frozen pie. I ate the crust and the ice cream and left it at that. I will add here that we ordered coffee the first night and every night after that, we were served coffee automatically. We're having a hard time now back at home not being spoiled with the little things we got use to last week. :D :rolleyes:

The show tonight was Point and Click. They said that it had a plot but had they not told us prior to, we would have never known. Again, we were not impressed. There were several songs where the girls stripped their clothes off down to the bra and thong. It was a turn off to me but what got me most was that they had brought the Camp Carnival kids in to see the show and it was inappropriate in my opinion. Kids shouldn’t be exposed to that much cheek and had I known just how bad it would be prior to, I would have kept my son out of Camp that night. Many people sitting aroung us got up and left and by the time the show was finished, we were the only ones sitting in that section. Had it not been for the fact that I could not sign Tyler out of Camp during the show, we would not have been there either. I'm sure I'll be flamed for this but they could have presented the same show with a lot less skin and made it more family friendly.

Day 6 Friday Cozumel

This was the day we were looking forward to. We had planned a Dolphin Encounter through Chanakaab Park several months ago. Since my DS’s birthday was the next day, this was what he picked out for his big birthday present.

We got a cab to take us out there and arrived a little early so we found a table to sit down. Big mistake! A man came over and said we had to order something to sit there. Ok, fair enough, we hadn’t had breakfast or lunch so we ordered food. We he brought it, he didn’t ask for any money which I thought was odd. Our encounter group was called and we headed off to swim with Amalita. We found out later that she is quite the diva dolphin and sometimes pouts if she doesn’t like something. She got pouty about half way through our time in the water and stopped. Several people with small children left the water and the group reduced in number by about half and she started performing again. We got kisses and got to shake her hands but that was about it. Nothing like what was described on the website but we had fun. During this time, I noticed that my mother left the table in the shade and went to sit out in the heat (which isn’t good for her). Turns out, the waiter told her that she wasn’t ordering anything so she was not allowed to sit at his table anymore. He then charged her $25 for 3 cans of coke and a large order of nachos that the menu said was $8. She refused to pay anything more than what the menu charged and he said it was rent for the table. She asked where that was posted and how would anyone know before hand and where was someone who wasn’t participating suppose to go and sit in the shade. He told her that all of the shaded areas were rented and she should go and sit on a bench by the water. When I found this out, I went to the info desk and threw a fit. They finally allowed my mother to sit on the benches in the shade where you wait for your encounter to be called.

I went into the gift shop to purchase our pictures and was told that there were three pictures per person and that for $75 I could get my three pictures, DS’s three pictures and a DVD of the encounter. When he pulled out our pictures, there were only 2 of me and 1 of DS which was sad because I’d rather have had DS’s pictures. I asked how much for the three pictures and the DVD and he said $75-no discount. When I asked why 6 pictures and a DVD were $75 how could 3 pictures and a DVD still be $75. He then proceeded to act like he didn't speak English. I bought one of my pictures and the one of DS and left. DS and I went swimming in the pool for a little while and after an hour of being allowed to sit in the shade, DM was told she had to leave…SO, we left. On the way out, I took DS’s picture by the water fountain and the guy with the iguana tried to make me pay to take my own picture. There was no animal involved and nothing posted that we had to pay to take our own picture there. This was not a good experience and we will NOT go back there. When I got back on board, I tried to tell the shore excursion desk and they acted like they didn’t care.

We did some shopping in the forum shops and got back on board sunburned and exhausted. By the way… you are not allowed to use regular sun block at Chankanaab and if they see you using it, they will take it away from you and try to force you to buy their own.

At dinner that night, I ordered the shrimp cocktail, the Delice of the Ocean and the Chateubriand cooked medium rare. It was perfect. You barely needed a knife to cut it was so tender. For dinner, I had the baked Alaska. Warning: If you are like me and didn’t like the Cured Salmon with tomato…do NOT order the Delice of the Ocean as it has more of the same. It did however have some smoked salmon so I was happy with that.

We were suppose to have a juggler and a comedian for the show that night but the juggler didn’t make the ship as planned so we were to have two comedians. We opted to skip the show and go to the Casino. I'm not much of a gambler and I've NEVER been lucky on the ship slots but...I took in $10 and came out with over $40 while my friends went bust fast. We then decided to have our smuggled drinks out our friend’s balcony.

Day 7 Saturday Fun Day At Sea & Tyler’s Birthday

We chose to have breakfast in the dining room. I had a waffle that was perfection. After that, DS wanted to go back to Camp Carnival and I went back to the room to start the dreaded packing. We watched Jen on the television rather than sit through the disembarkation talk. We’d heard it all before, including the bad jokes, but since they’ve gone to the zone thing rather than colored tags, we decided to watch it.

Tonight was the past guest party. We were a little late but managed to find a seat that had recently been vacated. We were never offered a clean plate or food or drinks so we left, dropped DS at Camp Carnival dinner and made our way to the Monet for our last dinner. I had the fresh fruit with peach schnapps, the Lobster and Crab cakes and the Prime Rib. I wish now that I had ordered the Cornish Game Hen like our friend did because it looked and smelled heavenly! She said it was delicious. The prime rib was good too…don’t get me wrong. For dessert I had the cappuccino pie while everyone else ordered the Grand Marnier Soufflé. I took a bite of it and it was waaaay too sweet for me. The cappuccino pie tastes just like Starbuck’s Java Chip ice cream that I love. We had the traditional “You’re Leaving Our Fun Ship” send off as well as hugs from our wait team.

After dinner, we went to the Lobby to have drinks and listen to the music. If you want a drink that will do the job and do it quickly....try the Perfect Suntan. You can get a buzz just smelling the dang thing. :)

Ok...now the bad part....

We went back to the room and while I was packing, I realized that a diamond necklace and ring were missing. I had been wearing them during the day but took them off before dinner for jewelry that matched my outfit. I went through every bag that I had already packed with a fine toothed comb before I set them out we tore up the beds, went through the towels, drawers, trash cans…everything but the items were nowhere to be found. I went to the purser’s desk to ask if they could access who had been in our room that night and they said no, you’ll have to fill out a lost item report which I did and then was handed over to security. I was very upset by then because the items had been gifts and their sentimental value far outweighed their monetary value. Security took me into their office and from that point, I was sorry I had said anything. I was treated like a common criminal and was even told at one point that it was my fault that my items were missing. One of the officers was even yelling at me that they had better things to do than look for my jewelry and I was wasting their time with this inconvenience. They had me write out a statement and then they assembled a team to come and tear up my room. I know now what a search warrant feels like. We were told to wait on the balcony and they dumped everything in the floor and left our room in shambles. At 1:30 in the morning, we were left to make up our own beds and repack the carry-ons that were dumped out on the floor. They did not find my jewelry and the next morning, I had a form letter stating that they were sorry they didn’t find my jewelry. Case closed. Losing the items was bad enough but the way I was treated was just horrible. It put a black cloud over an almost perfect vacation. When we got our beds put back together, I still cry when I think about it.

Before anyone says anything...our safe did not work. We tried several cards and even our room steward couldn't get it to open so he said he would put in a work order. My jewelry was not laying out, it was in my jewelry bag.

Sunday-Disembarkation

We had been given tickets that said we were Zone 7 so we assumed we’d have a little time to wait. Wrong! We ate a good breakfast on the Lido Deck and made our way to the Promenade deck to sit and wait. This process has been fine tuned since the last time I sailed. It is now a well oiled machine and the process is painless. Well, as painless as getting off of a cruise can be. J When our zone was called, we made our way to the lobby and walked right off. We grabbed a porter found our luggage with ease (we have colored luggage…it helps a LOT!) the porter took us to the short line and we were on the shuttle, loaded our bags into our car and on the road at exactly 10:00 am.

All in all it was a wonderful trip. I have called guest relations to report the security mishap and was told that someone would look into it. Translation...case closed. We are already looking to book our next cruise but this time, we are checking out options other than Carnival. Not ruling Carnival out, but those security guards did leave a little bitter taste in our mouths.

Jensing317,

Thanks for your review, can't wait to read the rest of it. Could you take a peek in your Capers and tell me the name of the person in the piano bar? I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks!

Laura

Sing a long with Peter in the Blues Bar

Classical Music with Janette (as a piano player, I wasn't impressed with her)

Despite being hurricane season, last week was perfect for sea conditions. 5 foot reported was the worst we heard. We also ate in the Monet, and it was vibration from the screws that Jensing is talking about.

You are right about that. I truly believe that the vibrations were ship related and not water related.

The water and the weather were absolutely PERFECT!! We couldn't have asked for better.

I keep hitting post and then I remember something else I wanted to say.

Yes, we smuggled in a small amount of adult beverage. I packed it in my suitcase wrapped in bubble wrap, wrapped in a towel and then sealed in a large zip-loc bag and had no problems. We brought two boxes of pre-made Cosmopolitans and a bottle of peach schnapps. Our bill was still over $500 at the end of the week so Carnival did not get ripped off in my opinion. :) I was determined to get my fun ship funnel cup and I drank until I got one! :D

For those looking for orange juice to mix...they change the machines after breakfast and there is no orange juice on the lido that I could find. HOWEVER...you can order OJ from room service anytime of the day or night. We ordered 8 glasses of it at one time at 10pm.

I brought a power strip and used it every day. I would definitely put this on my must pack list. The bathroom has three shelves on either side of the sink so there is more than enough storage so the shoe organizer was hung in the closet for shoes. I wouldn't pack this next time.

Also, dirty clothes pile up really fast so we took one suitcase and as we took something off knowing that it wouldn't be worn again, it went in that suitcase. It helped declutter the room and it has made washing clothes a breeze!! Everything is in one spot rather than chasing things from each individual suitcase.

I brought a bunch of paperback books that I knew I would read once and then be done with it and at the end of the week, I left them with Ronald for the crew library. According to Ronald, they do have a crew library and they do get tired of the selection fast. He also said that some of the crew have learned the English language by reading books. When I told him I wanted to leave the books with him, I got a big hug and a thank you so much. So if you have magazines or paperbacks that you don't want, consider taking them with you. You can read them and then not have to worry about packing them at the end of the week.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. I'm working on scanning the Capers and the Camp Carnival Capers for ages 2-14 to webshots.

Too bad that the dolphin experience was soured. I bought it for my wife for our cruise in October in Cabo, hope ours is flawless.

Hopefully it was just a Chanakaab problem. The dolphin part was really fun and I would do that part again...just somewhere else!!

Have fun in Cabo! I did a land vaca there and loved it!. It's a beautiful place.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your jewelry. What a bummer. I would hate to have my room searched like you did. I can't believe they did that.

We are also doing the Dolphin swim at Chanakaab in November. I hope we have a better experience. I'm wondering about the time change between the ship and Cozumel since I'm booking the dolphin swim independently. Do you know the time difference?

Archived