How Long Is Them Galata Bridge Istanbul

I would like to know how long the Galata Bridge is and at a moderate walking pace roughly how long would it take to walk it. Is it uphill or downhill from the port. Thanks for any help

According to Wikipedia, it is 490m long (not sure how that translates into feet). If you "Google" the bridge, you can find sites where there are photo's, etc.

Thanks. I should have thought to do as you advise. 490 metres is equivelent to 1600 feet which is just short of a mile. Thanks again for your help

The Galata Bridge is not a mile long.....It took about 5-10 minutes to walk across with stopping to watch the fishermen and the views of the Golden Horn....Marty

Oh! my word I think I really need a cruise. You are so right, I feel such a fool. Yes it is 1600 feet but that is just over a third of a mile. I was getting my feet and yards mixed up. I am so glad you pointed this out to me, as I now know that it is not so far after all. How far is it from where the Navigator docks to the start of the bridge? Thanks again

We never walked from the dock but taxis are not very expensive. Really depends on what you want to see and do and how much time you have. Using the Galata Bridge as a focal point.......one side is the ferry terminal, the huge Sultanahmet Mosque and the Spice Market and not far the Grand Bazaar. From there you can take the tram or walk to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Underground Cistern....................................If you were to cross the Bridge going away from the ferry terminal you would be be heading towards Taksim Square. Once on that side of the Bridge you will see on the left an entrance to the Tunel or one stop underground subway. It is an uphill climb so the Tunel is a good idea.Exit after the one stop and follow Istiklal Cadessi all the way to Taksim Square....plenty to see, eat and shop along the way...........We stayed a week and walked everywhere but again taxis are not that costly if you want to get to Sultanahmet and then walk back.....Marty

It's a short level walk to the bridge and the bridge itself is convex so there are gradual inclines up and then down. Very roughly, I'd say that from the cruise dock, you could be across the bridge in a half-hour.

I agree with the last post. We have walked from the pier to town (several times) and it takes about 30 min although the actual time depends on your walking pace and where you are going in town. One of our fondest memories in all our trips (and we are talking 40+ years and 74 countries) was walking back to the Grand Princess from town (in Istanbul) one gorgeous evening. As we reached the center of the bridge, the sun was setting, the twilight was golden, and than they had the call to prayer. We stopped on the bridge as the the eerie call to prayers started coming from all directions, and the entire scene was surreal. Guess you had to be there.

Hank

I agree with the last post. We have walked from the pier to town (several times) and it takes about 30 min although the actual time depends on your walking pace and where you are going in town. One of our fondest memories in all our trips (and we are talking 40+ years and 74 countries) was walking back to the Grand Princess from town (in Istanbul) one gorgeous evening. As we reached the center of the bridge, the sun was setting, the twilight was golden, and than they had the call to prayer. We stopped on the bridge as the the eerie call to prayers started coming from all directions, and the entire scene was surreal. Guess you had to be there.

Hank

Thanks to all. This makes my mind up regarding whether to take the ships tour or to do the sites on our own. We have from 2 ish till bedtime one day and till we sail next day @ 2 pm. so plenty time to do a bit of walking and traming and if we get stuck there is always a taxi back to the ship. I really appreciate your feedback. I believe the tram also crosses the bridge from the port, is this correct?

Hank

Thanks to all. This makes my mind up regarding whether to take the ships tour or to do the sites on our own. We have from 2 ish till bedtime one day and till we sail next day @ 2 pm. so plenty time to do a bit of walking and traming and if we get stuck there is always a taxi back to the ship. I really appreciate your feedback. I believe the tram also crosses the bridge from the port, is this correct?

How long to cross is very much dependant on time of day. Many fisherman means many obstructions. Forget the lower level as obstructed by tables and chairs from the cafes but a nice place to grab a bite to eat on the way back if you want a variation from the ships food.

Tram at the South end goes up to the main tourist area, spice market short walk from South end if you walk back down through the Grand Baazaar and spice market.

David

How long to cross is very much dependant on time of day. Many fisherman means many obstructions. Forget the lower level as obstructed by tables and chairs from the cafes but a nice place to grab a bite to eat on the way back if you want a variation from the ships food.

Tram at the South end goes up to the main tourist area, spice market short walk from South end if you walk back down through the Grand Baazaar and spice market.

David

Thanks. Cruise docs arrived today so two weeks on Sunday and we will be sailing. I am really looking forward ro Istanbul now that I have got the information I needed, thanks again to all who replied.

Archived