How much do you Tip?

Crusing Grandparents

I hope you enjoy your cruise. On Princess, the tips will be automatically added to your account. The rate is $10.50 per person per day for most rooms and I believe $11.00 for suites. This covers all the service personel on the ship. If you receive OUTSTANDING service from any service person, feel free to give addtional amounts in cash. If you receive just normal service, the auto tip covers it.

fair winds

Dave

I hope you enjoy your cruise. On Princess, the tips will be automatically added to your account. The rate is $10.50 per person per day for most rooms and I believe $11.00 for suites. This covers all the service personel on the ship. If you receive OUTSTANDING service from any service person, feel free to give addtional amounts in cash. If you receive just normal service, the auto tip covers it.

fair winds

Dave

Thank you for this information-it helps alot and sorry about the double posting on tipping.

I know that we are going to enjoy the cruise-just relaxing and reading.:D

fair winds

Dave

Perfect advice.

fair winds

Dave

Perfect advice!!!! I've been fortunate enough to have some outstanding service that I did reward with additional tips. :D

Working in the service industry, my opinion is to take care of your room steward if you are pleased with their service. I couldn't leave the ship without leaving something extra for him along with a few cold beers in the fridge to help himself while turning down the beds, If 10 rooms each gave him at least a 20.00 he'd have 200.00 for the week.

I also was wondering if you order breakfast or just coffee to be brought to your room -- Should you give the person - a two or three dollar tip each time? Thank You

We also give $2 for coffee. If we order more than we tip more.

marilyn

I am glad that most of you think its good for decent service to only be covered by auto tip. Our last cruise the room steward was pleasant, but just did their basic ob, nothing too ''extra'' and some posts/people really stress how much you should tip extra no matter what, and i just dont necessarily agree with that. Nice to hear that I am not being cheap by letting auto tip cover most of the fees for just average service.

Perhaps I have been very fortunate to have outstanding cabin stewards on most of my cruises, but I usually tip them extra at the end of the cruise. There have been only two exceptions to this, one of which was before the days of auto tipping and I had a horrible cabin steward in a full suite on HAL. I did not feel he deserved the full standard tip so I cut it back, then felt so guilty that I threw in a phone card to make up for it. The other time was in June on the Grand Princess, also in a full suite. Our steward was okay, but did nothing extra so I simply left the autotip in place and didn't give any extra. I just got off the Grand again on Monday and this time we had a fantastic steward who deserved and got an additional tip over and above the autotip.

I am glad that most of you think its good for decent service to only be covered by auto tip. Our last cruise the room steward was pleasant, but just did their basic ob, nothing too ''extra'' and some posts/people really stress how much you should tip extra no matter what, and i just dont necessarily agree with that. Nice to hear that I am not being cheap by letting auto tip cover most of the fees for just average service.

I agree with this post. I tip additional if someone goes over the expected service or if I request something special. I have always believed that the majority of people overtip for whatever reason.

(Boldface in quotes added)

The difficulty here is that each one of us has a different view of what is "basic" or "expected". We are all trying to write our own job description for the Cabin Steward.

Our last cruise the room steward was pleasant, but just did their basic ob, nothing too ''extra''

I agree with this post. I tip additional if someone goes over the expected service or if I request something special. I have always believed that the majority of people overtip for whatever reason.

What do you think about giving the steward a tip at the beginning of the cruise, maybe $20 or so. I am in a suite and will probably ask for a few extras, like coffee service in the evenings

It is my first cruise so I am uncertain about this issue

Thanks

(Boldface in quotes added)

The difficulty here is that each one of us has a different view of what is "basic" or "expected". We are all trying to write our own job description for the Cabin Steward.

Since this was our first cruise I'm not sure what basic would be but we certainly got what we expected, always clean towels, always beach towels, always a full ice bucket in the fridge,always a clean room, the robes we requested and always a friendly smile. In my book that deserves an extra tip, and no I'm not wealthy as a matter of fact I work two jobs and have my share of debt but these people work hard and as I said in an earlier post a little extra from everyone adds up and I'm sure they are very thankful. Sorry to beat a dead horse but I have many friends that have "the auto tip is suffecient" mentality and can well afford to bump it up. Certainly if I were unhappy with my service I wouldn't feel guilty going with that theory but for good service and not tipping extra , I don't think I'd sleep as well. I guess I was fortunate to be pleased with what some might call the basics. On our last night we had mint smiley faces on our beds (post tip) I guess that was our stewards way of showing he was happy.

What do you think about giving the steward a tip at the beginning of the cruise, maybe $20 or so. I am in a suite and will probably ask for a few extras, like coffee service in the evenings

It is my first cruise so I am uncertain about this issue

Thanks

I don't know what you mean by "coffee service" but generally orders from room service are handled by wait staff, not by your room steward. I've never tipped in advance because I've never considered that necessary as I'm not asking for them to do anything more than their job. If I wanted them to rearrange the furniture or some other out of the ordinary task, I guess I would tip in advance, but I don't see the need to "bribe" them to do their usual jobs. I'd rather reward at the end of the cruise.

My personal opinion is that I do not tip someone in advance of receiving something. A room steward and/or wait staff who performs above and beyond the ordinary expected service, will get a nice extra tip from me as well as the auto tip at the end of the cruise.

Since this was our first cruise I'm not sure what basic would be but we certainly got what we expected, always clean towels, always beach towels, always a full ice bucket in the fridge,always a clean room, the robes we requested and always a friendly smile. In my book that deserves an extra tip, and no I'm not wealthy as a matter of fact I work two jobs and have my share of debt but these people work hard and as I said in an earlier post a little extra from everyone adds up and I'm sure they are very thankful. Sorry to beat a dead horse but I have many friends that have "the auto tip is suffecient" mentality and can well afford to bump it up. Certainly if I were unhappy with my service I wouldn't feel guilty going with that theory but for good service and not tipping extra , I don't think I'd sleep as well. I guess I was fortunate to be pleased with what some might call the basics. On our last night we had mint smiley faces on our beds (post tip) I guess that was our stewards way of showing he was happy.

Just to clarify, our tip was left on the last night of the beds being turned down.

Sometimes I tip a bit throughout the cruise. My last cruise I had a few requests, when they were fufilled I left the steward a little cash. The auto-tip is in place for a reason, so we can pay the cruise employees... :)

That being said, its okay to pay them a bit more if they provide great service!

Archived