Lido Dinner

Ewokdude

Trust me some of these people you are talking about do not represent the opinions of the majority of the HAL cruisers.

We have been around long enough to meet the true HAL cruisers and they spend their time having fun and not cruticizing others or looking for thinks to complain about.

Ruth & Jim

Hi,

I have always felt people should dress by what is "suggested" but the more I read on here the more I am starting to think that I really don't care what anyone wears. As long as it is clean and neat and without holes, why do we really, really care? I don't think t-shirts, tank tops, or shorts should be worn in the dining room but I think you should be wear whatever you want in the Lido and I believe you can. And if someone wants to change into something more comfortable after dinner, so be it. I do think everyone looks so nice dressed up on formal night but if you don't want to then that is what the Lido is for. Lets just stop worrying what everyone is wearing and have FUN.

Thank you both for your response and for reminding me that some of the more "vocal" posters on certain issues are likely not truly reflective of the majority of HAL cruisers. Every board has hot-button issues but I confess that at times I have been absolutely appalled at some of the comments that I have read on the HAL boards.

To wit - on another thread about HAL vs NCL cruising - "trailer trash", "that type of demographic", "lowest common denominator" etc - these are derogatory (at best) if used in the privacy of ones home but to actually think it's "ok" to post these comments on a public message board when describing other passengers defies belief. I recall asking the poster specifically to explain his comments and never received a response. Does that mean my request for an explanation was beneath him or that the poster was too embarrassed at being challenged about his comments to respond. I guess I'll never know.

I have also noticed that the response level to some of the more inflammatory comments that I have seen differs depending upon who has done the posting.

I have posted previously on the HAL boards a few years ago when I was a newbie to the HAL boards that I didn't always perceive it as the most welcoming environment; sadly after being absent for quite a period of months from the HAL boards, I returned a few months ago to again feel that "the more things change the more they remain the same" - same old arguments (smokers vs non-smokers, dress codes etc) with the usual players still deeply entrenched in their positions but with less politeness than a few years ago.

I don't "fit" on the HAL boards (that's for sure) but I would ask that those of you that have a wealth of experience to share with those exploring whether a HAL cruise is right for them, to continue sharing your love of HAL. To others who feel the need to deride, denigrate or be (to put it kindly) less than kind when offering comments and/or opinions, I would caution that once you put words out there in cyberspace, you cannot recall them. New visitors to HAL don't know you or HAL, they come here to learn - think before you post about how your words may come across.

This post was not meant to sound like a sermon and I do apologize if it has come across that way.

I thank those of you who added to my fund of knowledge about HAL.

We don't' really mind seeing others dressed casual vs. formal and will often return to our cabin and put on casual clothes for comfort.

I do the same thing... so if we are not comfortable in the formal deal,,,and change into casual so we are comfortable...why do we do the formal thing?

I do the same thing... so if we are not comfortable in the formal deal,,,and change into casual so we are comfortable...why do we do the formal thing?

OK, time to play devils advocate:cool: If you're not comfortable in the formal deal, why not get formal deal that is comfortable so you can do the formal thing?

We have been around long enough to meet the true HAL cruisers and they spend their time having fun and not cruticizing others or looking for thinks to complain about.

Ruth & Jim

And that's exactly why I love sailing on HAL. My fellow cruisers are so unlike a lot of the folks on these boards. They are on the ship to have a good time and "make merry" with others. They couldn't care less how formal others choose to dress ... it impacts their good times not one iota. Which is exactly how it should be.

Blue skies ...

--rita

To wit - on another thread about HAL vs NCL cruising - "trailer trash", "that type of demographic", "lowest common denominator" etc - these are derogatory (at best) if used in the privacy of ones home but to actually think it's "ok" to post these comments on a public message board when describing other passengers defies belief.

People can be very brave when they are hiding safely behind their computer monitors. You get on a ship with them, and it will be as different as night from day.

That's why I take with a grain of salt the rantings I sometimes read on these boards. They are just the reflections of some people who have way too much time on their hands. Perhaps some of them need to get a job or do something else besides spending all their time on CC?

As for you "not belonging" on these boards ... nonesense. You have every much of a right to be here as anyone else. Your opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. Don't let the "vocal few" chase you away. And it's the same with cruising ... it won't take you long to see that on the ship people behave differently than some of them behave here. As I said, it's easy to talk big from behind a computer monitor ... another thing entirely to look someone in the eye and tell them what you think.

Stick around. There's a lot of good people with a wealth of information to share with you. And I'm sure you too will have insights to share that we can all learn from.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have some different observations (because I lived them).

On our last cruise in July on the Zuiderdam, we had dinner at the Lido a couple of times because we too didn't bring any formal clothes to save on luggage space.

On our cruise, anyway, there were no tablecloths on the tables in the Lido for dinner, nor did we have our entree served to us. I had read that several times on this board, so I was expecting the same but it didn't happen. Everything was Buffet style setup almost the same as for lunch.

As for the dress in the Lido for dinner, we dressed "smart casual" as was stated as the dress code by HAL. But can you believe that I felt "overdressed"!!!! I didn't even have to change for dinner. Shorts, jeans, t-shirts, it was all there. I expected someone to come in from the pool in their swimsuit and eat. I think some people might be appalled by this, but you know, after a while, why worry about it. It's our vacation and why should it bother my vacation if someone has a different interpretation on the dress code. They aren't bothering me about it.

You know, if HAL isn't going to enforce the dress code, maybe they should just ban it. Or just say it is "recommended" dress. If one doesn't feel out of place, why put any pressure on them. If you like to "dress to the nines" you may do so and have a great time. It seems that the days of "jacket and tie" required in restaurants is almost non-existant. I don't have to wear a suit to work anymore. The atmosphere is becoming more on the casual side. But you can still dress up if you feel like it. Sometimes I would rather be overdressed than underdressed, but to each his own.

And yes. I have seen shorts and t-shirts in the formal dining room on non-formal nights. What are you going to do. As I said, if HAL isn't going to kick those people out, then they need to change the rules so that people can't say people aren't following the rules.

OK, I said we didn't take any formal clothes, but on the last formal night we did a no=no. I went to the formal night dressed smart casual. OK, I felt a little self conscious, but I noticed I was not alone so I felt OK with it and enjoyed my meal.

I know that HAL says smart casual or formal in the evenings in public places on the ship, but can you prevent people from walking out of their room if they arent' dressed up? I don't mean to offend anyone. This is just my viewpoint. I used to think people should strictly follow the dress code, but now I think I need to just relax.

Perhaps HAL should organise a new on board tour.

Along with kitchen and backstage tour, a "view the patron attire" could be organised to see what different passengers are wearing in each venue. It could all be finished off with an included martini before dinner, then we could all report back to the board on what we have seen....

:D :D :D

Trust me some of these people you are talking about do not represent the opinions of the majority of the HAL cruisers.

Ruth & Jim

I sure hope you're right, and suspect you are. We are booked on our first HAL cruise, and reading this board is sometimes discouraging as some posts sound like they were written by the most obnoxious people I have ever met on cruises.:eek: (Thankfully never more than one on a cruise)

Maybe I'll just use the gymnastics rules in judgeing: throw out the top and bottom scores and average the rest.:) Ten% sound like Chamber of Commerce brochure writers and ten% don't think anything or any other pax are good.:( Must be an average there somewhere.

Well as a newbie to this board, I have to say I find a lot of the remarks in this thread (and even this board) very snobbish and they really make me think twice whether I should sail on HAL. I've been comparing cruises for Oct. 2009 and have narrowed it down to the Veendam, Ruby Princess and Carnival Legend. So I lurk on all three boards just to get information. I'm very familar with Princess as we've sailed with them before. My number one choice though is probably the Veendam because of the itinerary. But I will say up front I don't plan on taking formal clothes on our cruise. On formal nights I will be eating at the buffet. No I will not be wearing shorts, sandals (don't even own any) or t-shirts for dinner. I will be wearing comfortable clothes though. I'm retired and wore a suit all the time when I was working and now have no wish to wear one again (until I'm buried). If you want to play dressup and act like you're sailing on the Queen Mary fine. But please don't come up to the buffet to check out what the yokels are wearing just so you can come back here and post about it and complain. In return, I won't come down to the dining room and ask myself why in the world do people dressup in tuxes when out in the middle of the ocean with 95 degree temperatures just so they can feel "special". To me that's not the definition of "special".

Wolfpackfan.....I think you may find that the less than generous attitude of some of the posters on this board is not necessarily reflected in the passengers you will encounter on HAL.

The first time I looked at Cruise Critic was just after I had booked a cruise on Crystal for my family. I was horrified by many of the comments on the board, critiquing the behaviour of others, showing a tremendous dislike of children etc I was very close to cancelling and particularly worried about bringing our 4 year old.

However during the cruise our experience was the opposite. Our fellow passengers were gracious and our daughter was treated very well by passengers and crew alike.

I expect the same will hold true of HAL as we have an upcoming cruise booked on the Noordam.

. I will be wearing comfortable clothes though. I'm retired and wore a suit all the time when I was working and now have no wish to wear one again (until I'm buried).

A friend of mine has written that he does NOT want to be buried wearing a tie,:D and if he is he will come back and haunt them!:eek:

I find it very interest that

SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO GET OFFENDED BY OTHERNS NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES OF DRESS AND THINK THAT HAL SHOULD STRICTLY INFORCE THERSE RULES WOULD DO THE FOLLOWING......

SIT AT THE BAR AND TAKE UP SMOKING AREA SEATS WHEN THEY ARE NON SMOKERS AND SEATS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE NON SMOKING AREA....

VERY INTERESTING

VERY INTERESTING

Jim (without Ruth)

HMMMM -- Need to make a mental note for future cruises:

Not to agree to meet before dinner with people in the smoking area of any lounge and daily get togethers since we do not smoke.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers']we find that we enjoy walking around the ship after we have had dinner -- sure does help the digestive system.[/quote]

That's strange, because in your earlier post, you said:

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers']But I always make it a point to go to the Lido to see how people are dressed.[/quote]

Which implies a different motive.

So, which is it?

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Some pointers: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]The word "casual" is open to interpretion. Copious amounts of "common sense" are required while attempting this but, no fear, help is here! The only posted rules in the Lido require a shirt and shoes to be worn at all times - common sense, once again![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

But, John ... sense is rarely "common." :D

[quote name='photomikey']That's strange, because in your earlier post, you said:

Which implies a different motive.

So, which is it?[/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]After dinner we always take a walk -- usually go up to the Lido -- walk through there and then work our way down. [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I have made it a point to go there first after dinner because of some people asking about the Lido and how it is set up. Some people have even asked -- how were the people dressed. I couldn;t answer them if I didn't go and check it out.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Now we don't to the Lido every night to begin our walk -- quite a few nights we skip that area.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]A couple of years ago a few us here were comparing whether or not the tables has cloths on them. Some reported that there were cloths on them. I mentioned that on one of our cruises the ship we were on didn't have the clothes and that everything was buffet. Some here have also reported that the tables had candles on them -- some of us had noted that some ships didn;t have the candles.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]So obviously there are others besides me who are looking around and taking mental notes.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='JimVrhovac']SIT AT THE BAR AND TAKE UP SMOKING AREA SEATS WHEN THEY ARE NON SMOKERS AND SEATS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE NON SMOKING AREA....[/QUOTE]

But, Jim, there's no bar in the non-smoking area ... and, on the Eurodam at least, it could take upwards of 20 minutes to get a drink order filled from the non-smoking area of the Ocean Bar, while service was immediate if one went to the bar to get one's order filled.

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]OK, time to play devils advocate:cool: If you're not comfortable in the formal deal, why not get formal deal that [U]is[/U] comfortable so you can do the formal thing?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

:D
What who you're calling a devil, officer. :D

[quote name='Taxguy7']Maybe I'll just use the gymnastics rules in judgeing: throw out the top and bottom scores and average the rest.:) Ten% sound like Chamber of Commerce brochure writers and ten% don't think anything or any other pax are good.:( Must be an average there somewhere.[/QUOTE]

That is actually a VERY good idea. It would generate a more accurate snap-shot of reality.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]After dinner we always take a walk -- usually go up to the Lido -- walk through there and then work our way down. [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I have made it a point to go there first after dinner because of some people asking about the Lido and how it is set up. Some people have even asked -- how were the people dressed. I couldn;t answer them if I didn't go and check it out.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, indeed. Here you are, trying to be helpful when others ask questions, and those who disagree with your opinion and observation are trying to spin your intentions in a negative light. We've seen that before on this board. :(

[QUOTE][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]A couple of years ago a few us here were comparing whether or not the tables has cloths on them. Some reported that there were cloths on them. I mentioned that on one of our cruises the ship we were on didn't have the clothes and that everything was buffet. Some here have also reported that the tables had candles on them -- some of us had noted that some ships didn;t have the candles.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]So obviously there are others besides me who are looking around and taking mental notes.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

Just a mental note on the table-cloth issue. EVERY Damship I've ever been on has has the Lido set up as a restaurant with table cloths, etc., on the PASSENGER side. On the Officer/Staff side of the Lido, however, the tables do NOT have table cloths and the service is set up buffet style. So ... it [I]may[/I] be that those times when it has been noted that the Lido was a full-fledged buffet without tablecloth or candle it was the Officer/Staff side that was being seen, not the Passenger side.

And I know because, while I've only eaten dinner in the Lido ONCE (since 1994) as a Passenger, I've been up there on several occasions with officers, staff, etc ... and I usually do a walk-about to see how things are going so I, too, can answer questions.

So, let any who want to judge me and spin my intentions into a negative light ... have at me (you would have anyway).

[quote name='Taxguy7']I sure hope you're right, and suspect you are. We are booked on our first HAL cruise, and reading this board is sometimes discouraging as some posts sound like they were written by the most obnoxious people I have ever met on cruises.:eek: (Thankfully never more than one on a cruise)
Maybe I'll just use the gymnastics rules in judgeing: throw out the top and bottom scores and average the rest.:) Ten% sound like Chamber of Commerce brochure writers and ten% don't think anything or any other pax are good.:( Must be an average there somewhere.[/quote]

Do you really think anyone will walk up to you on a ship and call you "Slob", "Lowest Common Denominator" "Low class" or whatever?
PLEASE!!!!

Like several have said here All big talk on the internet.

Not too long ago , not on the HAL board but a different line. Some guy was spouting off that he was seated in the dining room next to a table of "biker types " He CLAIMS he stood up and told the the waiter he was not going to eat next to pigs in a very loud voice.

:):) If he had really done that he probably would still be in traction with tapioca running down his chin. As an aside none, of the other posters on that thread believed him either *LOL*

You know how to really piss off the "vocal" ones. Go on your cruise and have a wonderful time and don't let them faze you in the least.

ENJOY:)

Archived