Princess beds?

Travelbug 2

My wife and I will be on Sapphire Princess in Sept' celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary.

The last time we sailed with Princess was a couple of years ago on Diamond Princess. At that time the beds (mattresses) were not very comfortable and we had to ask for an "egg crate topper" and it helped somewhat.

My question for recent travellers, --- has princess upgraded the bedding on their ships? We really enjoyed sailing with Princess and the bedding was the only disappointment. Will we need a "topper"??

Looking forward to sailing Princess again.

Princess has pretty much upgraded the bedding and mattresses, but the new beds we find worse than the old. IF you are accustomed to a very very firm mattress, then you won't have a problem with the new ones. If you aren't, then at least one mattress topper will be needed.

We never needed the mattress topper before the new bedding was put in place, but we find it about the same now as sleeping on the hard floor. :(

We too found the beds hard and with them pushed together the hump was there. We tend to wind up cuddled in the middle of the bed and didn't want to be stuck on the hump. We asked for a topper and all was fine. :)

Happy sailing.

Okay, call me the "Princess and The Pea" but, I like the bedding and the beds on Princess ships (Diamond, Golden and. soon the Sapphire!) And, so does my DH!

We've been on many other ships and comparably the beds are of equal comfort (with HAL being the leader in beds!)

With that said.....I still prefer cruising Princess!!!!

We never had a problem with the beds on Princess until our last cruise on the Star in June. After the first night, I begged the steward for an egg crate topper. It helped somewhat, however my DH said he woke up every morning with a backache. The steward informed me they had just replaced all the mattresses in the mini-suites. I thought they must have missed our room. After reading the threads on our return, I'm afraid that WAS the new bedding. We are platinum members on Princess and really enjoy our cruises. We DO NOT, however, look forward to the beds on our Panama Canal Cruise on the Island, if they have changed the bedding. It was just like sleeping on a cement floor. Why would Princess do this to us? :confused:

My husband and I are split on the issue - he thinks the beds are great, I think they are hard. It takes me awhile to get use to them so that my body doesn't ache. The good news is that even with the hard mattress, the movement of the ship puts me to sleep.

Most of my cruises have been on Carnival and I took my first Princess cruise in April on the Golden Princess. I absolutely LOVE Princess, but the beds were absolutely AWFUL. Worst bed I've slept on in my entire life. I read the reviews beforehand and I knew I'd be asking for an egg crate after reading the reviews. I got one as soon as we entered the cabin. It wasn't any better. Carnival has beds to die for. Since Princess is now owned by Carnival, you'd think they'd listen to the complaints and put in the bedding that Carnival uses. It was the only bad thing about my cruise. Yes, I'll go on Princess again, but I won't be looking forward to the uncomfortable bed.

Sounds like we will need the toppers! Can they be requested before boarding or has it to be done on board?

You would fax in this request before hand. This doesn't mean it will actually be there when you arrive( they are still cleaning and reorganizing from the last cruise), but it will be documented. Ask your Room Steward first thing after embarkation, and they will get it for you. It is possible to get a twin sized one for half the bed , by the way. :) While you are making requests, a top sheet is nice.

Peaceful slumbers! Donna

My wife and I will be on Sapphire Princess in Sept' celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary.

The last time we sailed with Princess was a couple of years ago on Diamond Princess. At that time the beds (mattresses) were not very comfortable and we had to ask for an "egg crate topper" and it helped somewhat.

My question for recent travellers, --- has princess upgraded the bedding on their ships? We really enjoyed sailing with Princess and the bedding was the only disappointment. Will we need a "topper"??

Looking forward to sailing Princess again.

The beds still seem extremely firm. We never ask for a topper though

and sleep fine.

We never had a problem with the beds on Princess until our last cruise on the Star in June. After the first night, I begged the steward for an egg crate topper. It helped somewhat, however my DH said he woke up every morning with a backache. The steward informed me they had just replaced all the mattresses in the mini-suites. I thought they must have missed our room. After reading the threads on our return, I'm afraid that WAS the new bedding. We are platinum members on Princess and really enjoy our cruises. We DO NOT, however, look forward to the beds on our Panama Canal Cruise on the Island, if they have changed the bedding. It was just like sleeping on a cement floor. Why would Princess do this to us? :confused:

Oh, My Dear, Are You In Trouble!!!! We had a mini on the Island 19 day Panama sailing in April. We have never ever needed an egg crate after decades of cruising. However, this cruise was the exception. After the first night, I begged for an egg crate and was informed there were no more available. I had our steward put 3 of those ridiculous duvets on the bed so that lying on them would provide some measure of relief. After 19 nights, I was practically a cripple. So make sure you get the several egg crates asap. BTW, I agree with your question as to why Princess would subject their passengers to such agony.:eek:

Archived