Car Rental From Ft Lauderdale...drop Off Port Of Miami

wee-haggis

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale and a few days later sailing from the Port Of Miami. I understand that there are car rental companies at the port,but of the companies I have tried online none of theme will allow me to pick up from FLL and drop off at the port. Does anyone have expereince with this?

Will I have to perhaps drop off at another Miami location and will they have a shuttle to the port ?

thanks

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale and a few days later sailing from the Port Of Miami. I understand that there are car rental companies at the port,but of the companies I have tried online none of theme will allow me to pick up from FLL and drop off at the port. Does anyone have expereince with this?

Will I have to perhaps drop off at another Miami location and will they have a shuttle to the port ?

thanks

Use a van service - much easier. Check on the internet - you should be able to get one for about $25 per person. Even easier if you rent your car at the airport and return it there. There is a van shuttle that runs from FLL airport to anywhere you want to go in Miami for about $25 per person.

thanks

I would give the rental company a call.

Esther

I do not believe that any car rental companies allow drop off at the port. Most have a shuttle that go between their downtown Miami office and the port. Hertz is one car rental company that has a complimentary shuttle between downtown Miami and the port.

I agree with previous posts. In my experience, it is generally more economical to pick up the car at FLL airport and return it to MIA airport. The one-way drop charges from FLL to any other drop, other than MIA airport, tend to be expensive, if the rental company will allow it at all.

thanks

We are picking up a car from FLL and returning it to MIA and from what I have read, there are no extra costs when returning to a different location within the state of Florida. I would have thought that if you pick the nearest drop off location, they'll have some sort of arrangement to get you to the port.

We have rented in Tampa, Orlando, Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. We almost always drop off in another city and have never been charged a drop-off fee. Florida is a rare bird, in this respect.

When doing what the OP is doing, we have rented from Alamo. You actually drop off at their Miami airport location, which is a LOT easier to find than a downtown location for a tourist, and then they shuttle you to the port for free. We have done this about 5 times now.

I believe a van service would not work as well for the OP since they will want use of a car for the couple of days before their cruise and so hiring a van for that last trip from FLL to MIa will only add to the expense of their holiday.

Hi there,

The Miami Port drop off has closed and now the shuttle runs from the airport, if you are in the UK use Airline Network or Virgin for your car hire ,they have really excellent rates, book an economy car and see what you get at pick-up and then just upgrade if you want to.

Last Feb we picked up in Orlando and dropped off in Miami the minimum booking is one day even if you are picking up -dropping off the same day you will need to enter a drop off for the next day. It cost me £14 all inclusive and a $20 upgrade to a Luxury, this included Alamo/Dollar gold which gives a Full tank of Petrol, The costs are about the same this year, we are going in Feb and use Virgin Prem Econ to fly direct Man to Orlando , we then drive down the next day.

A few years ago we picked up a car at FLL and dropped it at their office in the Hyatt Downtown Miami (I think it was Enterprise). Very convenient and we got an great rate for the Hyatt on Priceline. The price for the cab from the hotel to the port of Miami was not much. I loved having the car for the first day so we could pick up sodas and water before the cruise.

Archived