RCI White Island excursions

dubaihammer

We are doing a NZ cruise in January aboard the Rhapsody of the Seas. Can anyone tell me if RCI have any excursions that allow you to land on White Island, or is it just a scenic cruising day?

At present, the RCI website shows shore excursions for the other ports of call but not White Island.

White Island is just a cruise around.

It is an active volcano and anyone landing has to get a permit.There is nothing on the island,apart from monitoring equipment. The ship should stand off and you will get a great view of the steaming crater and the deposits of yellow sulphur.Depending on the sea conditions, it can get in quite close to the crater and then it will do a circle of the island.

White Island is an interesting 'cruise-by'. The ship will position itself for best viewing of the crater which opens sideways to the sea.

330846701_a257149db2_o.jpg

Approaching the island

330895974_c5cd554ae0_o.jpg

Swinging around towards the crater

330908864_263a7e63a5_o.jpg

The crater

2261575621_17d59cbde2_b.jpg

Steaming Sulphur

We are doing a NZ cruise in January aboard the Rhapsody of the Seas. Can anyone tell me if RCI have any excursions that allow you to land on White Island, or is it just a scenic cruising day?

At present, the RCI website shows shore excursions for the other ports of call but not White Island.

Kia ora,

I confirm the comments by the two previous posters. We have been to White Island & my father-in-law had a book about the island published. A permit is generally needed and Hard hats & gas masks are issued to those who land. I presume you will be docking at Tauranga & taking an shore excursion to Rotorua (the North Island"s 'must see'). Rotorua is situated in a large caldera and has bubbling mud pools, boiling waters and geysers etc. so you will get an idea what White Islands volcano is like by visiting Rotorua.

Trust this helps

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

If you want to see White Island close up then you will need to organise a local tour from Tauranga yourself. This would be by helicopter as the boat trips out there dont fit with the ships schedule. If you use Google to find SHORE TRIPS from TAURANGA or try a google on the Helicopter flights you should find what you need. There compaanies who advertise with banners on thsese threads that can also no doubt help.

If you want to see White Island close up then you will need to organise a local tour from Tauranga yourself. This would be by helicopter as the boat trips out there dont fit with the ships schedule. If you use Google to find SHORE TRIPS from TAURANGA or try a google on the Helicopter flights you should find what you need. There compaanies who advertise with banners on thsese threads that can also no doubt help.

Kia ora,

Excursions to White Island leave from Whakatane!

Aquarians

Archived