Do all cruises that sail into San Francisco sail under the Golden Gate bridge?

kayden

I am taking a repositioning cruise next month that stops in San Fran for part of the day. Since I am fascinated with bridges and ships I am looking forward to passing under the bridge there (as they do here in Vancouver), so do all ships pass under it or no? If yes, then I will make sure to try to time it for some great photo taking opportunities. :D

The best I recollect is their is no docking except after you pass under the Golden Gate. Which ship are you taking in and where is your room?

Many many years before I sailed under it I had been in a tour boat under it. Then when we passed thru under it on the Radiance we had an aft balcony. I knew we were passing under it early in the morning (we get up early) and was standing on the 10th balcony and it "felt" like it was touchable!!!! of course not...on the way out....lots were on the top deck watching and we will tell you that we passed under with only 18 inches of clearance...if it was more than that we will deny it! it was high tide.....of course it was probably feet but that antennae seemed to want to touch the bridge.

Again, which ship and room area and .... if you are on the side...starboard is better for coming in....and of course port going out for seeing San Fran.

Lou

Yes you will go beneath the bridge...the Port of S.F.is in the bay.

We did it on a bright clear day, and a few days later the Bridge of the Americas in Panama. Most enjoyable.

Steve

kayden,

I recommend that you consult a map or globe before you plan your cruise. It is highly educational and might save you some embarrassment.

I think this a most unfortunate remark.

There are many cities in the world that operate more than one port in differents areas of the city. Vancouver for instance operates at least 3, 2 of which you do not pass under the Lions Gate Bridge.

Thanks to all that responded with positive comments ;) I am really looking forward to it. I have an inside cabin guarantee so I will be outside on the ship that morning and will be eagerly awaiting the passing under it, whether there be fog or not. :) I'll be on the Statendam (for the 2nd time this year heh).

And I am always up early to enjoy the cruise through the Vancouver Channel and under Lions Gate! Enjoy!

Thanks to all that responded with positive comments ;) I am really looking forward to it. I have an inside cabin guarantee so I will be outside on the ship that morning and will be eagerly awaiting the passing under it, whether there be fog or not. :) I'll be on the Statendam (for the 2nd time this year heh).

Wow. Who named you the resident Geography professor? :confused: :rolleyes:

kayden,

I recommend that you consult a map or globe before you plan your cruise. It is highly educational and might save you some embarrassment.

Sounds like this question fits right up there with other notorious (probably apocryphyl) questions that some ask about their cruises:

"Does the crew sleep aboard the ship?" (no, they fly them in and out every day from 1000 miles away).

"Does the ship make its own electricity?" (no, there is a 1000 mile extension cord dragging along behind the ship).

"What elevation is the ship at now?" (deeper than the deepest sea, higher than the mountain peak....)

"Do these stairs go up or down" (neither...they are just there for decoration)

"If the ship's photographer doesn't record our name, how will we know which ones are ours?" (that plastic surgery you had in Grand Cayman can make you so confused!!)

and my favorite

"What time is the Midnight Buffet?"

Sounds like this question fits right up there with other notorious (probably apocryphyl) questions that some ask about their cruises:

"Does the crew sleep aboard the ship?" (no, they fly them in and out every day from 1000 miles away).

"Does the ship make its own electricity?" (no, there is a 1000 mile extension cord dragging along behind the ship).

"What elevation is the ship at now?" (deeper than the deepest sea, higher than the mountain peak....)

"Do these stairs go up or down" (neither...they are just there for decoration)

"If the ship's photographer doesn't record our name, how will we know which ones are ours?" (that plastic surgery you had in Grand Cayman can make you so confused!!)

and my favorite

"What time is the Midnight Buffet?"

Another unfortunate reply to a very genuine question.:mad:

Lighten up. Who made you the forum police?

I am not the police but why would you need to ridicule someone who asked a genuine question, many cities in the world operate more than one port, as it happens SF only operates the one. It was not a stupid question at all and the poster did not, nor does any poster deserve to be embarrassed for asking a question.

The OP asked a legitimate question. If for every port included in my cruise I knew the port layouts, I would be a genius. Very few of us look at the maps for the ports we are visiting. For example, we recently embarked from Sydney. The smaller ships Dawn Princess and Sun Princess go under the Sydney harbor bridge and dock at Darling Harbor. The Sapphire Princess docks at the International Dock before the Sydney bridge because it is too large to go under the Harbor Bridge.

The OP asked a legitimate question. If for every port included in my cruise I knew the port layouts, I would be a genius. Very few of us look at the maps for the ports we are visiting. For example, we recently embarked from Sydney. The smaller ships Dawn Princess and Sun Princess go under the Sydney harbor bridge and dock at Darling Harbor. The Sapphire Princess docks at the International Dock before the Sydney bridge because it is too large to go under the Harbor Bridge.

A simple consulting of any map would show there is only one way into the port of SF.....under the Golden Gate Bridge. You would have to anchor at sea to not sail under it. Sydney is not a comparable........Harbor Bridge is in the middle of the harbor........not at the inlet / mouth of the bay as in SF.

Although the post by BruceMuzz was somewhat sarcastic.......I am amazed at how geographically inept some people are.

To all of you that responded negatively, honestly shame on you. For the record, I am a Geography major (honestly) that views maps day in and day out and I work in such a profession that I deal with countries worldwide.

I came to CC to get an honest answer to a simple question. Is there a problem with that? I try to help people out on here when I can and I never judge ANY question as a bad question, no matter how many times it has been posted before (considering the search function on here doesn't work that often).....

Some people really just need to chill and it really does give some people a bad taste in their mouth when they just ask a honest question. Sure, I could have consulted google maps or something like that, but the fact is I didn't - I came here and got lambasted for it.

To all the others, thanks! :D

Most likely coming in it will be early morning and dark. It maybe an opportunity for a 'lights on the GG bridge" picture. Your best bet will be on the sail out in the afternoon. After going under the bridge the sun will be a your back and you should get some good shots of the bridge looking back into the bay....... we did. :D

And I am always up early to enjoy the cruise through the Vancouver Channel and under Lions Gate! Enjoy!

Me too...except on my first cruise I missed it by about 5 mins when we returned. I was sleeping! I won't be making that mistake again. ;)

Archived