Do all cruises that sail into San Francisco sail under the Golden Gate bridge?

kayden

Please elaborate on what is "any" map? Just an example or two.

Here's one that helps::D

"any" map

Here's one that won't help::(

"any" other map"

Unless the skipper is real good at driving the boat through the 580 or 880 traffic, he's coming in under the bridge.

All pokes aside, google maps-satellite-view provides a tremendous overview of the ports. Some views are up to 2 years old, but if you're walking anywhere from the dock, it's good to know the layout first.

To the poster, if you zoom in to the right of the Marina District area, you can actually see a cruise ship at pier 35. It's kind of cool.

I agree with chasetf, when sailing out of SF you want to be on the stern of the ship. When you sail out of the bay you are sailing due West into the setting sun, absolutlety the worst for photos. If you are aft you can shoot at an angle off either side, then when you pass under have the sun at you back.

Other bonus is you'll be out of the wind and much warmer!

I agree with chasetf, when sailing out of SF you want to be on the stern of the ship. When you sail out of the bay you are sailing due West into the setting sun, absolutlety the worst for photos. If you are aft you can shoot at an angle off either side, then when you pass under have the sun at you back.

Other bonus is you'll be out of the wind and much warmer!

Excellent. Do you have any photos to show us as an example?

I am taking a repositioning cruise next month that stops in San Fran for part of the day. Since I am fascinated with bridges and ships I am looking forward to passing under the bridge there (as they do here in Vancouver), so do all ships pass under it or no? If yes, then I will make sure to try to time it for some great photo taking opportunities. :D

Rain, shine, fog, above it, below it, north, south, east, west of it, it is nearly impossible to take a bad picture of the Golden Gate. You don't say what month you're going, but you will likely have a shot either coming in or going out. I've lived there and photographed it from every angle -- except from a ship. One day I'll add that one. :)

Happy shutterbugging!

Tee

Unless the ship flies, there is no way in or out of San Francisco bay except to go through the Golden Gate and under the Golden Gate bridge.
Actually, you and several others who responded are wrong. Cruise West has a four day cruise that goes to the wine country from San Francisco. I believe that it leaves the bay via the Napa River.

Actually, you and several others who responded are wrong. Cruise West has a four day cruise that goes to the wine country from San Francisco. I believe that it leaves the bay via the Napa River.

If it does that, it does not go "in or out of San Francisco Bay" except to go up a river and come back. You can't get anywhere except back to the bay along the Napa River.It doesn't even connect to the Delta. You can take tiny boats up the Delta or in a variety of estuaries from the Bay, but you aren't going "in or out of the Golden Gate" that way.

And of course, we were talking about cruises entering or leaving to the OCEAN!!!

Thanks to all that responded with positive comments ;) I am really looking forward to it. I have an inside cabin guarantee so I will be outside on the ship that morning and will be eagerly awaiting the passing under it, whether there be fog or not. :) I'll be on the Statendam (for the 2nd time this year heh).

It's a fabulous little cruise, kayden. We did it the other way around this past May on the Coral Princess. We stood on our balcony on the starboard (left side) of the ship as we passed under the Golden Gate in the evening and it was terrific, then we were on the Lido deck as we passed under the Lions gate in the morning and it was wonderful too!!! Enjoy - we are so lucky living where we do, to be able to take advantage of having a "home" port! ;)

Adrienne

Archived