Short connection time in Atlanta - problem?

kamfan

Hello all. I hope someone might be able to help me. In October we will be flying from Miami to Seattle. My concern is that we have a connection in Atlanta of only 30 minutes. It is with the same airline, but different planes, so I am hoping it shouldn't be a problem. Both domestic, and with the same airline should be okay?

Thrity minutes is awefully short in Atlanta. You say you are on the same airline in and out. Is it Delta? They use every terminal. I would try for other flights. If not, make sure you are aware of other flights that get you home.

uh, i wouldn't be comfy with that....personally, i am uncomfortable with anything LESS than 60 minutes in ATL.....ESPECIALLY with delta...let's say they are very good at messing with schedules and leaving on time......

See if there are other options......(but if you have to spend a night in Hotlanta at the airport, the Renaissance Concourse is nice....almost like sleeping on the runway! Great view of the planes....

If its AirTran, on the other hand, all of their flights are in the same concourse, so 30 minutes is doable, its tight, and if there are any delays out of Seattle you will have a problem. I wouldn't chance it if it was Delta though, as you may have to go from one end of the airport to the other.

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, in fact it is Delta. Let's say we keep this flight and miss the connection because of their problems. What are our options? I will check into other flights etc. Just want to be fully informed. Do we just catch the next Delta flight at their expense? Is it such that we missed the flight, so sorry but nothing they can do? It is an early morning flight, so I imagine later flights from Atlanta, but will have to look into it. As this is actually flying home after our cruise, I am not really concerned about the travel time. As we are flying on the Saturday and I do not have to be back at work until Tuesday, no big deal. I mean what is the worst that can happen, we spend a couple of extra days on holiday in Atlanta?

Good attitude kamfan.

We've got a 44 minute layover in Atlanta in January. We're on Airtran though and I hear people saying they've made that connection time with some ease in the past.

On the bad side, that short connection is on the way to San Juan, so if we do get a screw up somewhere along the way, we might be spending a night in Atlanta instead of San Juan before the cruise. Yet another reason to fly in the day before!

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, in fact it is Delta. Let's say we keep this flight and miss the connection because of their problems. What are our options? I will check into other flights etc. Just want to be fully informed. Do we just catch the next Delta flight at their expense? Is it such that we missed the flight, so sorry but nothing they can do? It is an early morning flight, so I imagine later flights from Atlanta, but will have to look into it. As this is actually flying home after our cruise, I am not really concerned about the travel time. As we are flying on the Saturday and I do not have to be back at work until Tuesday, no big deal. I mean what is the worst that can happen, we spend a couple of extra days on holiday in Atlanta?

What they will do for you depends on the reason for the delay. You should be placed on a later flight, but that assumes that there will be seats available. You would be better off calling now and getting switched to a later connecting flight than staying with such an itinerary (assuming that Delta is the one that changed the connecting time).

30 minutes is way to short, I like to have a least a 2 hour layover in each direction in Atlanta for our upcoming cruise we have over 3 hours each direction but that's fine as I'm meeting my sister and brother-in-law who are flying in from London on Delta and we are connecting to the same flight to Fort Lauderdale she will have over 4 hour layover she will be in Atlanta before us.

Christine

Do we just catch the next Delta flight at their expense? Is it such that we missed the flight, so sorry but nothing they can do? It is an early morning flight, so I imagine later flights from Atlanta, but will have to look into it.

If you miss a connection, Delta will put you on the next flight they have available seats on. That could be the next flight, or it could be in four days.

Rich

In Atlanta, Delta and Air Tran do not always connect in the same terminal. We use Air Tran mostly, and have had to transfer to the next concourse. It is not far, but with only 30 minutes between flights, it is almost impossible to make. We have done 44 min., and made it, but it was a run! I would not be comfortable with anything less than 60 min. just in case of whatever might come along.

Archived