A Warning About Sunset Beach

lovebug33

We went to Sunset Beach while in Montego Bay. During our stay there, we had our wallet stolen. We got back our credit card and licenses, but not the 60 bucks that was in the wallet. The warning is that, while we listened to the staff, it became readily apparent that this happens regularly. The staff was rude and did not want to help me when I realized that my wallet was gone. When I went to the front desk and found the woman who had my wallet and before I said anything to anybody, I was told by the staff lady that the resort would not give us cab fare back to the ship. That was our first clue. Dh wanted to file a report and we went back to the front desk. I was upset and crying and all they cared about was getting us away from the front of their hotel. We were treated roughly and taken to a security area, where the man told lies to us, blamed us, and did a lot of CMA. The more he talked, the more this sounded like a canned speech that was given often to people who had had problems. In the end, we didn't file a report because I wanted to get back to the ship. We were then basically booted out a back door and told to leave. I just wanted to give everybody another view point of Sunset Beach.

Whoa! I never blamed the staff for stealing my wallet, I blame the staff for being rude and not caring about what had happened at their resort. Mainly, I am warning everybody here that Sunset Beach is not the happy, safe place that people make it out to be. The staff made it pretty clear to us that this is a frequent occurrence. I am just warning everybody so what happened to us doesn't happen to them.

Lovebug33, Thanks for the warning however you should be more carefull with your words. Your original post says you had your wallet stolen. It now appears you lost your wallet in the sea or pool and someone returned it minus the cash. You were lucky to get back your credit cards. Regardless of if your wallet was stolen or lost the staff should not have been rude.

Lovebug.... the point I was trying to make was... if you lost your wallet in the sea, you asre very lucky to have gotten it back at all.

I think in your situation, although I would obviously be upset at losing 60 bucks, I would be very happy to have my credit cards and licenses back.

But I do agree the staff didn't have to be rude.

Well, to me stealing is stealing, no matter what spin you put on it. Yes, we felt blessed to get our cards back. The reason I wrote this post is just to warn you to be careful because a lot of people go there and it was really obvious by the things said that theft is very prevalent at this resort. That is all. I don't want what happened to us to happen to other people.

When you take something that is not yours, that is stealing. You weren't there, you didn't get the vibe we got when the people started defending themselves before we even reported anything. I've warned people to be careful, which was my original idea to post. That's all. Sorry you don't agree with me. As I said before, hopefully my warning will keep this from happening to anybody else. That is my only point because this is not a safe place.

Well, to me stealing is stealing, no matter what spin you put on it. Yes, we felt blessed to get our cards back. The reason I wrote this post is just to warn you to be careful because a lot of people go there and it was really obvious by the things said that theft is very prevalent at this resort. That is all. I don't want what happened to us to happen to other people.

I am not trying to put spin on anything, Just stating the facts. Your OP says "your wallet was stolen". we later find out you lost your wallet in the water.

Who is putting the spin on?

Not sure how you feel "stealing is Stealing" when you lost it in the water. However saying that the staff were very poor.

The way I read it is she lost the wallet and then someone STOLE the cash. While I felt safe at sunset beach I dont doubt that she was treated rudely by the staff. We didnt get many smiles while we were there and the person that showed us to the front desk rolled his eyes at us when he asked if we'd been there before and knew where to go. So, I can imagine how they would be if you had a problem. I still think Sunset is the safest place to enjoy some of Jamaica.

Yep someone stole your money after you lost your wallet. But you probably would have paid 60 bucks just to get the rest of your wallet back. Basically what your saying is that if you lose your wallet you may not get it all back. Unless you lose it at a baptist convention that's true anywhere. Someplaces would consider taking the money out a finders fee.(even though that is not a nice thing). I would say you are blessed to get anything back. Sorry you lost your money.

You lost your wallet. To say it was stolen is the spin.

I don't think it is a common occurrence at all.

I agree. It wasn't stolen if you decided to take your credit cards and cash into the ocean in one of those plastic wallets you wear on your neck (and after working at a water park during my earlier years, are notorious for falling apart). I'd suggest future guests keep their valuables close, safe, and out of the water. If you don't want to lose it, don't take it off the ship. To say your wallet was "stolen" when actually you lost it in the water is misleading.

My wife and I were at Sunset Beach earlier this month and had an absolutely wonderful time, and ALL the staff were courteous, friendly, and welcoming. We would definitely go back.

I have no doubt that if you lost your wallet in your own home town, you'd be very lucky to get your credit cards back. You were understandably upset that you didn't take adequate care of your belongings.

You seem to place all the blame on Sunset Beach - they didn't lose your wallet, they returned it to you. Why would you expect them to pay for your cab fare?

Please read what I wrote. I never blamed Sunset Beach and I never asked for cab fare. THEY said, the minute the lady heard my money had been stolen, that THEY would not pay for cab fare. I hadn't even said anything to them. So, it is obvious that this has happened before and people have asked for cab fare if this is their response. And, I'm not blaming Sunset Beach. What I am saying is, after listening to everything they had to say, it was obvious this happens frequently at their resort. And, they were rude and decidedly not helpful. My reason for posting this is that this place is not as safe as everybody makes it out to be and I don't want this to happen to anybody else that is going there. That is all.

I want to say that I appreciate the information. While this one "review" will not keep me from Sunset Beach, it will help me with my mindset while I am there. I will be very careful with my items and if something should happen, and the staff is this rude to me, I will understand it a bit better. I will probably be just as angry, but maybe it will help in the long run.

I am also a bit disappointed and dismayed at the ways the original poster has been attacked. She was just sharing her expereince and frustrations. I am sure that others have had a very different and better experience at SB, but should we attack them because of it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially when it is based on their own personal experience.

Now I am sure that there will be some that disagree with me, so I stand ready for cross-examination and rebuttal.

I am also a bit disappointed and dismayed at the ways the original poster has been attacked. She was just sharing her expereince and frustrations. I am sure that others have had a very different and better experience at SB, but should we attack them because of it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially when it is based on their own personal experience.

Now I am sure that there will be some that disagree with me, so I stand ready for cross-examination and rebuttal.

Right on!! I don't think anyone should be slammed for sharing their experience. No point in nit-picking!!

Thank you for sticking up for me. I was amazed by how rude people were. I never posted wanting people to stay away from SB. I just want people to know that it isn't as safe as everybody said and after my experience there, it is obvious that theft happens there frequently (or enough for them to have a canned speech about it). If I had heard about somebody having been in a sit. like this before, I probably would have brought nothing but the money for SB and the taxi fare. But, when people love a certain place or a certain cruise line or whatever, they refuse to see another point of view.

Lovebug, I am sorry you were treated so rudely. This should serve as a lesson to us all to keep our belongings safely stowed away and with us at all times. Dh and i take turns getting in the water while the other sits with our belongings.

How did you get back to the ship and pay the taxi driver?

Archived