Snorkeling at Molokini crater . . .

debshomespun

What is the difference between snorkeling in the morning, or waiting until afternoon? We will be in Lahaina at 8:00AM in Jan. from the HAL Ryndam, and would like to do a snorkel on our own, looking at Four Winds. We don't arrive until 8:00, and the morning snorkel tours leave between 7 and 7:30AM. They have another afternoon tour at 1:00, and was looking at taking this one. How is the clarity of the water in the early afternoon?

Was thinking this would be the best location to snorkel. We will also be in Kona, but I am thinking from my research that Molokini crater would be better than the snorkeling in the Kona area. Any comments from anyone that has snorkeled at both locations?

TIA!

I would do the second one. We went in the morning (first tour) and really were disappointed with the area. Imagine 50 other shore excursion boats with 200 people each in that small area. They tossed two ropes out so we wouldn't go into the next boats area and really didn't see many fish.

I haven't tried the afternoon but judging by our experience in the morning I would go for the PM one.

One big problem with PM snorkel cruises to Molokini is that the ocean can get quite rough in the afternoon. It's common to have nearly glass-like water in the morning but by 1 PM the water between Maalaea and Molokini is awash with whitecaps (the wind comes rushing between the West Maui Mountains and Haleakala, and also finds its way around the La Perousse Bay part of South Maui).

Molokini is crowded AM and PM. But there aren't 50 boats with 200 people each - 10,000 snorkelers in Molokini Crater? It may SEEM that crowded, that's for sure.

IMO Kealakekua is better than Molokini. Also IMO Honolua is as good as Kealakekua, and you don't need a boat to get to it, just a rental car (it's north of Kapalua, there's a separate thread running now about it.)

One thing you should be aware of.........snorkeling at Molokini is in deep water with nowhere to stand........and they do not want you at the edge of the volcano's rock.

Kona is beach snorkeling where you can find an area where you can stand if you get tired.

One thing you should be aware of.........snorkeling at Molokini is in deep water with nowhere to stand........and they do not want you at the edge of the volcano's rock.

Kona is beach snorkeling where you can find an area where you can stand if you get tired.

If they do an excursion to Kealakekua Bay, they'll be snorkeling in deep water with nowhere to stand as well. It's a wonderful choice for a snorkel excursion. Some of the best snorkeling in the state and we'd choose it over Molokini if I could only have one.

True, there is plenty of off the beach/lava shelf snorkeling around Kona and up the Kohala coast, but the only snorkeling within walking distance is by the tender pier area. We've never snorkeled there, so I can't give an opinion, but the reason we haven't snorkeled there is that there are so many places that we place much higher on our list. (I guess that might be a "last resort" if we had no other options.) For the easiest snorkeling in Kona, Kahalu'u (about 5 miles from the tender pier at the end of Ali'i Dr.) is a good choice. It's not a "beach" beach (very rocky, so water shoes/sandals are a must), though there is easy snorkeling for beginners, kids, and those who don't want to take an excursion or rent a car and there is equipment rental and food available. There's a shuttle that goes there from the tender pier area; a taxi wouldn't be very expensive either. With a rental car, the best choices are Honaunau Bay (next to City of Refuge), including the "Two Step" area (though I wouldn't recommend it for absolute beginners or young children); Anaeho'omalu Bay (known simply a "A-Bay" most of the time) up the coast is really good with a salt-and-pepper "small pebble" beach, good facilities, food/drink at hand, and water activities; Hapuna and Mauna Kea beaches up the Kohala coast are good if the wind isn't up. Those are the only ones we know, so they're the only ones I can actually comment about. (Keep in mind, this is JMHO and YMMV.)

One big problem with PM snorkel cruises to Molokini is that the ocean can get quite rough in the afternoon. It's common to have nearly glass-like water in the morning but by 1 PM the water between Maalaea and Molokini is awash with whitecaps (the wind comes rushing between the West Maui Mountains and Haleakala, and also finds its way around the La Perousse Bay part of South Maui).

Molokini is crowded AM and PM. But there aren't 50 boats with 200 people each - 10,000 snorkelers in Molokini Crater? It may SEEM that crowded, that's for sure.

IMO Kealakekua is better than Molokini. Also IMO Honolua is as good as Kealakekua, and you don't need a boat to get to it, just a rental car (it's north of Kapalua, there's a separate thread running now about it.)

Very true, so much so that often the afternoon boats don't even get out to Molokini and go to "alternate" spots to snorkel. Water clarity was lousy too. On our first (and last) afternoon Molokini excursion, none of the boats could get to Molokini. It was quite disappointing, though we had a good time anyway.

Since then, we use Maui Dive Shop and take their mid-morning excursion. It's early enough that conditions are usually very good and they arrive at Molokini when the other morning boats are already heading back in. Often they are the only boat at Molokini. It's a small, no frills boat and excursion, but it's excellent and not expensive. We know we wouldn't enjoy being there early in the morning when it's mobbed.

We think Honolua is wonderful too. Well worth the extra bit of driving, parking, and hiking down the hill. Slaughterhouse (the southern cove) is nice when there's a beach in the summer. Of course, Kapalua, Kahekili/Airport, and Black Rock (on Ka'anapali) can all be good for easy access snorkeling.

I would do the second one. We went in the morning (first tour) and really were disappointed with the area. Imagine 50 other shore excursion boats with 200 people each in that small area. They tossed two ropes out so we wouldn't go into the next boats area and really didn't see many fish.

I haven't tried the afternoon but judging by our experience in the morning I would go for the PM one.

I do not mean to offend, but based on our experience (both on the one afternoon excursion and fairly extensive time snorkeling off the beaches throughout the year), we would not recommend the afternoon excursion unless it was the only option of any kind. We'd recommend renting a car and doing beach snorkeling either up or down the coast instead. An excursion to K-Bay or A-Bay out of Kona would be a good alternate choice too. In fact, conditions at K-Bay can be decent in the afternoon even when the winds are up because it's more protected (whereas Molokini is "out there").

debshomespun:

We will also be in Kona, but I am thinking from my research that Molokini crater would be better than the snorkeling in the Kona area.

I must disagree with your sources. We've certainly enjoyed Molokini, but would not say it's better than the Kona/Kohala area. We have had experience with both.

No matter what excursion or location or type of snorkeling you choose, morning is almost always significantly better than afternoon, especially after about 2 pm or so.

beachchick

I do not mean to offend, but based on our experience (both on the one afternoon excursion and fairly extensive time snorkeling off the beaches throughout the year), we would not recommend the afternoon excursion unless it was the only option of any kind. We'd recommend renting a car and doing beach snorkeling either up or down the coast instead. An excursion to K-Bay or A-Bay out of Kona would be a good alternate choice too. In fact, conditions at K-Bay can be decent in the afternoon even when the winds are up because it's more protected (whereas Molokini is "out there").

Oh none taken. You know more about that then I do. I just did the morning one and was really unimpressed that I would take a chance with another time if it meant the place didn't feel like a Wal-mart the day after Thanksgiving!

Even the shore excursion manager on the America has said that Molokini crater has seen its day, sadly.

Thank you all for your replies. We are limited on time, as we only have 2 overnight in Oahu (Honolulu), so the early morning snorkels are out. We didn't snorkel this past May while we were there, so thought we would try to do one this jan. while in Hawaii. I would prefer to do an excursion, as I am not a good swimmer or snorkeler. DH is great in both aspects and I was looking for our best option. I will look into being able to get an earlier trip planned.

Beach chick: I am assuming arriving in Hilo jan. 9, and spending 6 days at the islands, we should get a peek at some whales, or is it too early in jan. for them? Also, how is the wave action along the North shore this time of year? We would certainly love to see some big waves with lots of surfers on them this time. In may, there weren't any waves to speak of along the North shore of Oahu. Thanks so much for your opinions, they are very valued by me! :D

debhomespun:

Beach chick: I am assuming arriving in Hilo jan. 9, and spending 6 days at the islands, we should get a peek at some whales, or is it too early in jan. for them? Also, how is the wave action along the North shore this time of year? We would certainly love to see some big waves with lots of surfers on them this time. In may, there weren't any waves to speak of along the North shore of Oahu. Thanks so much for your opinions, they are very valued by me!

I'm happy to help. You will definitely see whales in January. No doubt about it. Maui is "whale central" during the season. The channel (between Maui and Lanai/Molokai) is usually an excellent area for whale watching. You will likely see them throughout the islands, but Maui is a top spot.

Wave action on Oahu's north shore can be wonderful in January. Of course, not every day is super high waves, but even the mid-size ones are impressive. You'll almost certainly have plenty of wave action, not just on Oahu, but also the north shore of Kauai and Maui. Watch the east shores too. They can really put on a show. With your timing in mind, I'm not sure which snorkel excursion will work best for you. It sounds like the afternoon Molokini is pretty much your only option. If so, then I'd say go ahead and book it knowing that you might end up at some of the alternate locations (along Maui's coastline). You might end up with the perfect weather/water day too, so why not take a chance? You'll probably have a great day regardless. (OTOH, a storm could come in then and really screw up my recommendations...sigh.)

beachchick

p.s., I know what you mean about summer waves! My first visit to Oahu was in a September. My DH took me all over the island, and I knew there wouldn't be much in the wave department. Still, I couldn't help teasing him with "You call those puny things waves?" OTOH, it meant snorkeling at Shark's Cove on the north shore was fabulous--you sure can't do that in the winter time!

Archived