First time on X - Equinox?

CTNYER

We are in the process of booking a Caribbean cruise and were excited that the new Equinox will do 10 days out of Florida. I have never been on Celebrity, but have been on 12 cruises on RCCL, Princess, Carnival and NCL. I wasn't a fan of Carnival and NCL but loved Princess' and RCCL's large ships. We don't need the rock climbing, surfing, etc, but we do enjoy going to a nightclub to be around people our age (25/26). Is Celebrity VERY quiet where the clubs and bars after hours will be empty? Anyone have photos of what the Equniox's grand atrium will look like, or any of the public rooms?

Also how is the food on X compared to Princess and RCCL? Do they nickel and dime when it comes to snacking on board? 24 hour room service?

I'm just not sure what to expect on Celebrity. :confused:

Most bars close at around 1 am. The disco area is open later but is usually pretty quiet after that time - especially on longer cruises (over a couple of days).

As far as what the areas look like - you can click on info for the Solstice on Celebrity's website - most of the pictures are drawings as they are still building the ship (at least doing the interior and putting the finishing touches on her). The Solstice is the first of this class to be built and the Equinox as the second ship will be very similar. After the inaugural voyage Nov. 23, we should start seeing real pictures and hearing details.

Try this link for info about the Solstice:

http://cruisecelebritysolstice.com/#/gallery/shipviews/

Celebrity does not nickle and dime you when it comes to snacking. Of course we can only tell you what currently happens on their current ships - this new class of ships will be different in the fact that there is a new cabin category, more dining venues, and other differences. Currently, there is a charge for drinks in the coffee bar including plain coffee and tea (in the coffee bar only) - however, the pastries served in the morning and afternoon are free (you don't have to get a drink to get a pastry). There is no charge for ice cream (it is made onboard except for the sugar free). There is no charge for the sorbet/sherbet served poolside in the afternoon.

Room service is available 24/7 free of charge (except for alcohol and soda which you pay for anywhere on the ship). The menu ranges from sandwiches, soups, pizza, appetizers, fruit & cheese plates (great for a snack while getting ready for dinner), and deserts. During dining room hours, you can order room service off the dining room menu.

Most bars close at around 1 am. The disco area is open later but is usually pretty quiet after that time - especially on longer cruises (over a couple of days).

As far as what the areas look like - you can click on info for the Solstice on Celebrity's website - most of the pictures are drawings as they are still building the ship (at least doing the interior and putting the finishing touches on her). The Solstice is the first of this class to be built and the Equinox as the second ship will be very similar. After the inaugural voyage Nov. 23, we should start seeing real pictures and hearing details.

Try this link for info about the Solstice:

http://cruisecelebritysolstice.com/#/gallery/shipviews/

Celebrity does not nickle and dime you when it comes to snacking. Of course we can only tell you what currently happens on their current ships - this new class of ships will be different in the fact that there is a new cabin category, more dining venues, and other differences. Currently, there is a charge for drinks in the coffee bar including plain coffee and tea (in the coffee bar only) - however, the pastries served in the morning and afternoon are free (you don't have to get a drink to get a pastry). There is no charge for ice cream (it is made onboard except for the sugar free). There is no charge for the sorbet/sherbet served poolside in the afternoon.

Room service is available 24/7 free of charge (except for alcohol and soda which you pay for anywhere on the ship). The menu ranges from sandwiches, soups, pizza, appetizers, fruit & cheese plates (great for a snack while getting ready for dinner), and deserts. During dining room hours, you can order room service off the dining room menu.

Wow excellent, thank you! I've been told the service is a bit better on Celebrity by many people so I can't wait to try it. Others have said it is stuffy, but people have said that about Princess and I didn't find that to be true.

My guess is that these two ships are going to be Celebrity's largest?

but we do enjoy going to a nightclub to be around people our age (25/26). Is Celebrity VERY quiet where the clubs and bars after hours will be empty?

Hi. I'm 35 and have been on two Celebrity cruises - one 7 nights and one 12 nights. The nightclub is very very quiet, I have to say. I've mostly been there around 10:30 or later because I've always done late seating for dinner.

On my 7 night Alaska cruise, it was very crowded during the sock hop, and there were a few people on disco night (but still not many). On my 12 night cruise, the sock hop was held elsewhere, and the disco night and 80s night were also fairly quiet - similar to disco night on my first cruise...maybe 10-12 people, if that? (And for the 80s night, 6 of us included me and others I had convinced to come with me! :)) Other nights, you'll find even less people there.

I don't drink, but I like to dance, so it's disappointing that there are so few people, but that's probably because there aren't as many younger people who are interested in that kind of thing.

I'm sure you'll have a blast anyway! I still love Celebrity, despite the lack of anyone in the nightclub! ;)

Hi. I'm 35 and have been on two Celebrity cruises - one 7 nights and one 12 nights. The nightclub is very very quiet, I have to say. I've mostly been there around 10:30 or later because I've always done late seating for dinner.

On my 7 night Alaska cruise, it was very crowded during the sock hop, and there were a few people on disco night (but still not many). On my 12 night cruise, the sock hop was held elsewhere, and the disco night and 80s night were also fairly quiet - similar to disco night on my first cruise...maybe 10-12 people, if that? (And for the 80s night, 6 of us included me and others I had convinced to come with me! :)) Other nights, you'll find even less people there.

I don't drink, but I like to dance, so it's disappointing that there are so few people, but that's probably because there aren't as many younger people who are interested in that kind of thing.

I'm sure you'll have a blast anyway! I still love Celebrity, despite the lack of anyone in the nightclub! ;)

Thanks for posting. That is somewhat disappointing. Princess in August had a good amount of people in the nightclub, as did RCCL during the summer months. Maybe doing a Celebrity cruise in November isn't the best idea. Maybe I should look at summer itinerarys when the younger crowd is vacationing.

Even if there weren't a lot of people in the nightclub, were there people elsewhere (around our age) around the ship looking to meet people and have a good time? Or is the majority of the population over 40?

Even if there weren't a lot of people in the nightclub, were there people elsewhere (around our age) around the ship looking to meet people and have a good time? Or is the majority of the population over 40?

I would say the majority of people are over 40, but there are some in their 30s, and a few in their 20s.

It really is a fabulous cruise line if you decide to give it a shot anyway! But, yes - the average age does tend to be older, and the nightclub pretty quiet.

I'm sorry - I feel like I'm a bit of a downer for you, as the first post got you so excited to try Celebrity. :o

I have heard that shorter cruises tend to bring out more younger people, including on Celebrity. There may be more on the Caribbean cruises as well, though. I haven't done a Caribbean one myself (mine were to Alaska and Scotland/Ireland). Time of year may make a difference as well... I've heard that over spring break, there are usually lots of young people, but that's a very different time frame from what you are looking at, so I'm not sure if that works for you or not.

Maybe someone else will know what the nightclub is like on a Caribbean cruise...maybe there are more people than what I've seen on my cruises... :confused:

I just found this thread, asking about nightlife on a 7 night Caribbean cruise (I know the one you're looking at is longer, but...). No one yet has posted a reply, but you might want to keep an eye on the thread, or subscribe to it so you'll get an email every time someone posts something.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=833919

You also have to look at the itinerary - Alaska and Europe are very port intensive with long days in port. After 8 hours of sightseeing, and having to get up the next morning to be on another full day tour at 8 or 9am, of course the lounges and disco areas are going to be quite dead after midnight. These are not restful beach ports where the most strenous activity is flagging down a waiter for a drink. :D. There seems to be more activity in the disco on a Caribbean cruise.

Celebrity does not have any ships in the Caribbean during summer.

Do not give up-

you may find that Solstice & Equinox are very diff from the past traditional X experience. They seem to be attracting cruisers from other lines as well as traditional X cruisers. Some may be younger & more active. Also depends on when you go & the length of the itin & destination.

To date the general rule is that nightlife is very early unless you run into the crew up at the club--

A few things I noticed between X and Princess...

Food and service on X are a few notches above Princess. Princess did, however, have a better Maitre' d. But, on the other hand, Thomas the sommelier on Century more than made up for it, he was great!

X has very few announcements, which was great. They also didn't have the nickel and diming that Princess had.

Nightlife on Princess was far more active. Than again, on X, we cruised a smaller ship in Feb, so it was expected. Equinox will no doubt have a somewhat younger crowd onboard.

Thanks guys. I think we're going to give it a shot. If there's no party, we'll make our own (but will be sure not to disturb others, of course) ;) Cheers!

I'm glad to hear you're going to give it a try anyway. And I'm happy to see that other posters have proven what a downer I really was. ;) I do hope that there is more nightlife than I experienced on my cruises, for all those reasons others have mentioned. And I hope you'll have a blast!!! :D

Archived