Which deck? Amalegro

jdblakeslee

After months of reading this forum and studying information on cruiselines, we have nailed down our trip with Amadeus...now we have to pick our cabin.

Is there much difference in the Cello Deck and the Violin Deck?

Should we look for a fore or aft cabin?

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jennifer

I don't think there is a lot of difference between those decks. The rooms toward the back of the ship are noisier and there are more vibrations. However they are also in a cheaper category, and we were happy with our room (close to the back). People of the top deck complained about people jogging on the track above them early in the morning, and that might be a reason to stick with the middle deck.

I would go with the Violin Deck. People on our cruise became territorial about which table they wanted at meals, and would start lining up a half hour before the dining room doors opened. They would snake their way up the stairs and down the hall on the Cello deck, talking and laughing. This was very annoying while we were trying to sleep at 6am. I would try for the center of the ship-less vibrations.

Whether on an Ocean cruise or River cruise always avoid a cabin in the deck under the top deck . That way you avoid the herd of elephants playing tennis at 6 in the morning and 11 at night or people dragging deck chairs around all night at poolside parties . So on Amadeus go for the Cello Deck .

Violin deck is immediately under the top (Sun ) deck.

Cello Deck is next down.

Piano Deck is the lowest . Caveat Emptor. No Balconies and IIRC half is below the waterline.

I thought the same thing, too, which is why I booked the Cello deck. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Practically, nobody when on the top deck and there were no joggers. All the "elephants" were outside my door laughing and talking at 6am.

We just returned from a cruise on "Sound of Music", Amsterdam to Istanbul, cruising as far as Rousse . We were in the middle section of the top deck, with the french balcony windows. Occasionally we heard a "hippo" jogger early in the morning on the deck above us (despite requests in the daily newsletter not to jog before 8am), and sometimes noises of furniture being moved about, but mostly not - because the top deck was closed for much of the trip, due to all the low bridges. When it was opened we still didn't hear any jogging noise as the jogger was ill, she only returned to jogging speed just before we left the ship. It is a problem, as is the noise from people in the corridor noted by another poster. I think that the middle deck might be quieter - in the middle anyway. Some people complained of ship's noise in the fore cabins. Our CD said there are some ships where the windows on the middle deck do not open, so you might want to check you can open yours on Amadeus.

Archived