Extra days before or after cruise?

Our family is planning a cruise out of Miami in February '09 (Triumph, Western Caribbean) and I thought we might spend a few days in South Beach but not sure which would be better, before or after the cruise? I realize this is a pretty subjective call but would be interested in others' experiences.

Thanks!

I would always fly in a day ahead just in case there are delays. You don't want to miss the ship! However, I would probably stay a day or 2 after the cruise as well. When we cruise, we do very active excursions, not beach days, so we are a little tired by the last day. A day or 2 at the beach would be a great way to relax before heading back to reality. Also, if you have something else to look forward to after the cruise, it makes it easier to get off the ship! :p

We always go a day before the cruise. However, this time we will be driving instead of flying to Miami for our Nov 1 cruise. We will drive down the day before (11 hours) and on the way back most likely will stay in Savannah on the River Walk to break up the drive.

My preference would be to go before just in case there is a problem with a flight. If your schedule will allow for it, you could always fly in the day before and then stay a day or two after your cruise and have the best of both worlds.

I've done it all ways and I prefer to start my vacation early then go home after the cruise. It's easier to just throw everything into the suitcase and not have to worry about keeping stuff aside for the extra stay afterwards.

DH & I enjoy flying into an embarkation port at least 1 day early to ensure we arrive in time and have a few hours to rest before the cruise starts.

We also enjoy staying a day or two after disembarkation, partly because we enjoy the extra day or so to rest up from the cruise before returning to our daily life, but mostly because we don't feel so sad when our ship sails into port and we know we have to get off the ship and resume our daily life.

By staying at least another day in port after disembrakation, we know our vacation is going to last at least another 24 hours.:D Makes flying home a less bitter pill to swallow.

Dianne

DH & I enjoy flying into an embarkation port at least 1 day early to ensure we arrive in time and have a few hours to rest before the cruise starts.

We also enjoy staying a day or two after disembarkation, partly because we enjoy the extra day or so to rest up from the cruise before returning to our daily life, but mostly because we don't feel so sad when our ship sails into port and we know we have to get off the ship and resume our daily life.

By staying at least another day in port after disembrakation, we know our vacation is going to last at least another 24 hours.:D Makes flying home a less bitter pill to swallow.

Dianne

We like to buffer on both ends for these exact reasons!

We like to buffer on both ends for these exact reasons!

Hardest part for us when staying at a hotel the night after a cruise is knowing that room service isn't free and that there is no free food on the Lido deck!:) Other than that, we like expanding our cruise vacation one more day.

Dianne

Thanks for all the responses. I think we've decided to arrive the day before and stay two extra nights to give us a full day in Miami.

On embarkation day, what do you think is the best time to arrive at the ship to check in? I've taken one other Carnival cruise out of Miami before but purchased air via Carnival and they arranged all the herding... er.. "transfers"... I don't think we need to be the first ones on board and I'd just as soon avoid the long lines.

We're cruising on Triumph, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all the responses. I think we've decided to arrive the day before and stay two extra nights to give us a full day in Miami.

On embarkation day, what do you think is the best time to arrive at the ship to check in? I've taken one other Carnival cruise out of Miami before but purchased air via Carnival and they arranged all the herding... er.. "transfers"... I don't think we need to be the first ones on board and I'd just as soon avoid the long lines.

We're cruising on Triumph, if that makes a difference.

DH & I normally try to get to the port by 11 a.m. Yes, your cruise documents will tell you otherwise. Sometimes we've had to stand in line for awhile before we can start processing for boarding but normally we can walk right i to get the paper work done.

Often you will be sent to a waiting area until the ship is ready for boarding once your paper work is completed if you arrive early. However, you will be among the first ones to board! What a treat.:D

Have stepped foot onto the ships as early as 11 a.m. but normally by noon or 12:30 p.m.

Many times when we've boarded early our cabins have not been available for occupancy until 1 or 1:30 p.m. and we've had to take our carryon luggage with us while we've checked out the ship and had lunch. But heck, what's not to like to be one of the first ones to board and get a jump on exploring the ship, right?

Dianne

I always fly 1-3 days before the cruise, depending on the port. I am always scared that the flight will be delayed for one reason or another and we will miss the ship. Yes, I know I am paranoid. A few friends have stayed after the cruise and said it just doesn't feel the same because you are so spoiled on the cruise with the beautiful sights that being on land is not that much fun anymore.

I vote for staying before the cruise. My preference has more to do with the fact that if I am flying across the country I may as well get more value for my airfare by staying from 3-5 days prior to the cruise. We also stay at least one day post cruise but that is because I don't like to rush to the airport.

I agree that the post cruise stays involves actually having to have your credit card/cash available to pay for your food, entertainment, and accomodations! And no free room service! :p

We always go in the day before. One night of hotel costs adds so much to your vacation experience. You can see the city of embarkation at night and again in the morning. When we sailed from Long Beach, CA we walked around the boats at the piers before breakfast and we always get to the ship early. Ii don't mind waiting in line as I am excited just Knowing I will be on board so very soon.

When we sailed from Vancouver to Anchorage last year, we stayed an extra night and left the following night so we had almost two full days after the cruise and we really didn't utilize it very well at all. Most of the family slept all afternoon and they we had a really late dinner (of course it was still light out at 9pm) and the next day we went to the zoo and ate out some more. It wasn't worth staying around especially since Anchorage is so expensive.

Dianne

What Dianne said.:D

DH and I drive and arrive a day early. That way we don't have to worry about traffic, auto problems, or rushing. But it seems that we are different than most of the other replies regarding staying a day or two after. As much as we hate for a cruise to end, once we are off the ship we are ready to go home. DH always schedules a couple extra days off at the end but uses them to relax at home.

We're arriving for our trip in Nov a couple days early and going to Disneyland and in Feb arriving 3 days early and going to Key West. I prefer before the cruise for buffer for any flight problems.

Also, I'd rather start my vacation early and still have the cruise to look forward to. Sort of a mini-vacation before the real vacation. Someday when I'm retired I think I would do some extra days on each end, but for now have to schedule time off work so I'll take the days before the cruise.

Archived