2009 Plans - What Should I Consider Doing Differently?

TeeBuccs

DH & I will be sailing Carnival Spirit - August 5, 2009. Previously we sailed RCI (Radiance) and loved it, so this will be new adventure - we even have aft wrap around balcony this time!!! Will be staying at least 5 (maybe 6 - flexible) extra nights doing our land-based tour post NB cruise.

There are so many activities that interest us - we are late 30's - relatively active (although by no means super jocks) and intersted in scenery, wildlife, new foods, photography - those sorts of things. Below are the ideas I have for entertaining ourselves (gonna cost a fortune..haha, but what can you do...) Those of you with experience - what am I overlooking or is there something that I should consider as an alternative???

Ketchikan - 10.5 hrs in port

- Bering Sea Crab Tour

- Island Wings to Traitor's Cove

Juneau - 14 hrs in port

- Harv & Marv Whale Watching

- Mendenall Glacier Hike (on our own) or Mt. Roberts Tram

Skagway - 10 hrs in port (Tough port for me to decide what to do - did Yukon thing previously and enjoyed, but want to branch out...)

- Pilot's Choice Heli ?

- OR Glacier Point Wilderness Safari ?

Sitka - 10.5 hrs in port

- Fishing with friend who is boat captain (general wildlife viewing too)

Ship arrives in Whittier - here's the tricky part. Do we somehow hop over to Seward and spend a night? Try Godwin Glacier Dogsled or PWS Cruise? Or get to Anchorage to pick up rental car and drive to Homer?

In Homer - planning on two nights

- First Day: Either Hallo Bay Bear Viewing or Katmai Bear Viewing with Bald Mtn. Air.....leaning towards Hallo Bay

- Second Day: Halibut Fishing with MVJackpot

Leaving Friday afternoon and driving back to Anchorage for two nights.

- Sat (Night One): Jet Boat to Knik River followed by visit to Sat. Market

- Sun (Night Two): White Water Rafting Combo (AM glacier hike with PM Lion Head Rafting)

Either fly home late Sun or sometime Monday from ANC.

Have you been to Tracy Arm?? Would be my first pick with your extended time in Juneau??

IF you are going to Homer, then backtrack to Anchorage, for the car, or get an Avis car, rather than going a farther distance and more backtracking with going to Seward from the ship. Your time is actually short, so I would consider the one way rental, my opinion.

Have you been to Tracy Arm?? Would be my first pick with your extended time in Juneau??

IF you are going to Homer, then backtrack to Anchorage, for the car, or get an Avis car, rather than going a farther distance and more backtracking with going to Seward from the ship. Your time is actually short, so I would consider the one way rental, my opinion.

So just to be sure I understand what you are suggesting - you may very well be onto something here..

We should get off the ship in Whittier and rent car there (AVIS) one-way. Drive to Seward that morning, spend the day there doing stuff and overnight. Then hit the road to drive to Homer? Since flying out of ANC I thought from Homer we would double back to ANC and spend a day or two doing activities there - the jet boat is optional but would really like the glacier hiking/white water rafting combo.

Thanks for helping me walk through a logical order here....:)

We looked at doing the Adventure Bound Tour in Juneau but their trip departs at 8:00 am. On our Carnival Spirit cruise, we are in port from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm but the trip leaves too early.

Oh... that is too bad! It was one of the things (in addition to Michelle the naturalist) that I did like about Carnival. Is it just on the northbound cruise perhaps? Or has southbound changed as well?

Oh... that is too bad! It was one of the things (in addition to Michelle the naturalist) that I did like about Carnival. Is it just on the northbound cruise perhaps? Or has southbound changed as well?

I'm not sure about the port times, if they've changed or not. I really would have liked to do that trip but it just didn't work out with the times.

That's life I guess. We'll just have to do something else!

I agree with BQ... it's silly to get off the ship in Whittier, then "somehow get to Anchorage" just to get a rental car, only to retrace your steps back down the peninsula. Pick up the Avis one-way rental in Whittier, go to Seward, and then over to Homer before ending up in Anchorage.

One-way rentals are more expensive, but sometimes it makes more sense for particular itineraries. We did a one-way rental this year and if you book early, you can significantly lower your costs.

IMHO I would definately do the dogsledding in Seward and stay the night there. We spent 3 nights there and it was not enough. We loved Seward. We also highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express on the small boat harbor. They were so very nice and helpful.

In Juneau you have more than enough time to do all 3 things you listed. I also recommend a walking tour of Juneau to the State Museum, City Museum, Governor's House, Capitol, etc. Instead of hiking to Mendenhall you might consider a helo flight onto a glacier. It and Harv/Marv were the highlights of our trip!

Archived