South Beach Hotel, on the beach for pre-cruise

gill_boo

Hello everyone,

Hoping someone out there in the Miami area can help me out. What hotels are directly on the beach in SoBe? We have 3 nights to enjoy the area and I would like a hotel directly on the beach.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Hoping someone out there in the Miami area can help me out. What hotels are directly on the beach in SoBe? We have 3 nights to enjoy the area and I would like a hotel directly on the beach.

Thanks

We have stayed in the South Beach Area many times before cruises. I would suggest staying ocean front on Collins Avenue, which is usually what we do. Here is a link that should be helpful.

http://www.southbeach-usa.com/hotels/south-beach-hotels.htm

We have stayed in the South Beach Area many times before cruises. I would suggest staying ocean front on Collins Avenue, which is usually what we do. Here is a link that should be helpful.

http://www.southbeach-usa.com/hotels/south-beach-hotels.htm

Hi -

We fly in the night before our cruise and thought staying in South Beach would be nice. One of the only hotels we could find in SoBe with a free shuttle from the airport is the Hotel Shelley. It's quite a reasonable rate, but it says there is a 'resort fee', (doesn't say what that is). Would you happen to know about the Hotel Shelley? I found this website with a chain of hotels that have free shuttles...http://www.southbeachgroup.com/index.html. Also, would you have an idea of how far the cruise ship port is from SoBe?:D

Hotel Shelly is located two blocks from the ocean at 844 Collins Avenue. From your hotel, you have to cross Collins Avenue and Ocean Drive to reach the beach. If you are on the beach around 5 in the evening, it is easy to see the ships go out of port on days that they depart. As far as distance to the port from your hotel, travel 3 blocks south to 5th avenue and head westward for several miles. You will be on MacArthur Causeway and the port of Miami with all the ships will be on your left. However, you will have to exit to your right and take a left at the end of the ramp on US1 on the mainland. You will then stay on US1 until you turn left again at the American Airlines Arena onto Port Blvd, and follow the signs to your ship. I would estimate total driving distance from the Shelly to the port around 10 miles.

Hotel Shelly is located two blocks from the ocean at 844 Collins Avenue. From your hotel, you have to cross Collins Avenue and Ocean Drive to reach the beach. If you are on the beach around 5 in the evening, it is easy to see the ships go out of port on days that they depart. As far as distance to the port from your hotel, travel 3 blocks south to 5th avenue and head westward for several miles. You will be on MacArthur Causeway and the port of Miami with all the ships will be on your left. However, you will have to exit to your right and take a left at the end of the ramp on US1 on the mainland. You will then stay on US1 until you turn left again at the American Airlines Arena onto Port Blvd, and follow the signs to your ship. I would estimate total driving distance from the Shelly to the port around 10 miles.

Hi My Mattie -

We will be taking a taxi...I was just trying to figure about how much the fare would be. I don't think it'll be that bad...we are saving by having the free shuttle from the airport to the hotel after all. Do you know about the Shelley? It is a nice place to stay? The resort fee I was talking about is only $5.00. Maybe you could answer one more question for me. Do you know if there is a car rental place at the port? After the cruise, we want to rent a car as we are staying in Miami for 4 days.

Celia & Dave;)

Hi My Mattie -

We will be taking a taxi...I was just trying to figure about how much the fare would be. I don't think it'll be that bad...we are saving by having the free shuttle from the airport to the hotel after all. Do you know about the Shelley? It is a nice place to stay? The resort fee I was talking about is only $5.00. Maybe you could answer one more question for me. Do you know if there is a car rental place at the port? After the cruise, we want to rent a car as we are staying in Miami for 4 days.

Celia & Dave;)

I have no personal knowledge of how Hotel Shelley will be, but have attached the reviews link from Trip Advisor. With any reviews, some people are completely satisfied, and others you can't please for anything, so I always am cautious with any negative reviews and weigh them against the positive. As far as rental of a car at the Port of Miami, I have never seen this service provided there at the port. Here is information I copied from the information on CC under Port of Miami:

Renting a Car: At this point in time there are no car rental companies with offices at the pier proper. Nearly all will pick up and drop off at the port. Logistically it makes a great deal of sense to use an operator with facilities close to the port to avoid the traffic, crowds and hassle connected with going to the airport for car rentals. The major players, the location of the renting office, and their numbers to call for pick up and/or reservations are: Alamo/Airport/305-633-6076; Avis/Airport/305-341-0936; Budget/Sheraton Biscayne Bay Hotel (0.96 miles from port)/305-871-2722; Dollar/ Airport/866-434-2226; Enterprise/Radisson Hotel Miami Downtown (1.09 miles from port)/305-633-0377; Hertz/Hertz Downtown Miami, 354 SE First St. (1.96 miles from port)/786-425-2515*; National/Airport/305-638-1026; Thrifty/Airport/305-944-5110.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34439-d85061-Reviews-Hotel_Shelley-Miami_Beach_Florida.html#REVIEWS

I have not stayed at the Loews Hotel in South Beach but have eaten at Emerils twice in the Loews. It is a beautiful hotel and in a great area. Make sure you eat at Emerils. To the person that thinks it is too expensive, it is normal for an on the beach hotel in South Beach. South Beach is expensive. I payed $725 a night last year for a beach front room at the Sagamore for a Friday /Saturday night in May. January / Febuary goes for $1000 / night or more.

Hello everyone,

Thanks

What are your dates? Maybe we can help you out? My wife and I have stayed at the National Hotel (4*) right on the beach in SoBe, but to tell you the truth, the beaches in Ft Lauderdale, or Hollywood are just as good at a much better price. SoBe is young and spirited and there are great places to visit, but that's true of FLL/Hollywood.

Depending on your dates, I would just bid on Priceline, or Hotwire, as the differences in hotels is not worth an extra $250 a night. If you have a rental car, parking in SoBe is pretty expensive as well.

At winter break we are staying at a beach hotel in FLL precruise and in Boca Raton post cruise; spring break we are staying at the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, both pre/post cruise. We got this hotel through priceline for $136 + tax per night. Our hotel in FLL Sheraton Yankee Clipper Beach $$101 + tax; Boca Raton hotel $105 + tax.

We paid $150 + tax per night at the National Hotel in SoBe, but that was off season.

Let us know your dates and perhaps we can help you out?

Enjoy!:)

Kel

Hey kelmac, we fly in late on the 16th of October and then cruise on the 19th. So its going to be for 3 nights. I thought about using priceline, but I really want something right on the beach and thought I may get shafted if I use priceline.

Hey kelmac, we fly in late on the 16th of October and then cruise on the 19th. So its going to be for 3 nights. I thought about using priceline, but I really want something right on the beach and thought I may get shafted if I use priceline.

Hi gill_boo,

If you use Priceline or Hotwire you can get something on the beach, or directly across the street from the beach.

Hotwire has a 3.5 star in SoBe for $146 + tax; a 4 star on Miami Beach for $205 + tax; a 3 star for $115 + tax.

You can get a 4 star on Hollywood Beach for $174 (hotwire) Just remember, if you select a hotel with hotwire, or win a bid on Priceline, your credit card is charged immediately and their are NO changes or refunds.

The SoBe 3 1/2 star could be any of these hotels: (I think it may be the Blue Moon or the Clinton which are NOT directly on the beach)

3.5* Blue Moon Hotel (previously 4*)

Amenities: Boutique, Beach Access, Restaurant, Hi-Speed Interent, Pool

(VP currently showing: Boutique, Near Beach, Restaurant, Pool, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet)

3.5* Clinton Hotel and Spa

Amenities: Boutique, Near Beach, Restaurant, Hi-Speed Internet

(VP now showing: Boutique, Near Beach, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Spa)

3.5* Doubletree Surfcomber

Amenities: Beachfront, Restaurant, Pool, Golf, Tennis

3.5* Royal Palm (previously 4*) (previously Crowne Plaza)

Customer Favorite

Amenities: Beachfront, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry

(same as the National Hotel)

3.5* The Savoy

Amenities: Suite, Boutique, Beachfront, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Tennis

You might try bidding Priceline 4 star (which will include Resorts) for SoBe area only (area #11 on their map)? Maybe start around $150.

Why pay $450 a night for a specific hotel?

Here is a Miami list of Hotels that are usually won on Priceline:

Miami Beach

Resort

Sheraton Bal Harbour LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW (closed)

Fontainebleau LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW (closed until late 2008)

Eden Roc Miami Beach, A Renaissance Resort & Spa LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

3 Star

Deauville Beach Resort LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW (formerly Radisson Deauville)

Miami Beach Resort & Spa LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW (former Wyndham Miami Beach)

Bay Harbor Inn & Suites

The New Casablanca on the Ocean

Sheraton Four Points Miami Beach

Hotel Riu Florida Beach

Beach House Bal Harbour LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

2.5 Star

Ocean Spray Beach Hotel

2 Star

Castillo Del Mar

Holiday Inn Indian Creek LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Days Inn Oceanside

Fairfield Inn & Suites

South Beach

Resort

Loews Miami Beach LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW Check for great rates from Quikbook

National Hotel LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Sagamore

4 Star

Roney Palace LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW (hotel now closed)

Hotel Clinton LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

The Palms South Beach LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW 40x20owl.gif

3 Star

Marriott South Beach LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW 40x20owl.gif

Doubletree Surfcomber LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

The Chesterfield Hotel LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW (this hotel is misrated as a 3*. See MY POST HERE)

The Hotel Chelsea LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Shelborne Beach Resort LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Beacon Hotel 40x20owl.gif

Albion Hotel

Hotel Astor

Royal Palm Resort (formerly rated 4*) LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW 40x20owl.gif

The Mercury South Beach LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Catalina Hotel and Beach Club

Good Luck!

Kel

Since this is our first visit to Miami/South Beach, we'd like to enjoy the ambience and a bit of the local "flavor" without breaking the bank.

Can anyone provide insight about any of these properties? I've checked TA, but am hoping to get some input from CC folks.

SoBeYou Bed & Breakfast

Hotel Astor

Hotel St. Augustine

Westgate South Beach

I've been "begging" for responses about South Beach accommodations without much luck. I'm so excited to have found this thread. YOU ARE ALL TERRIFIC! I will take advantage of each post and eagerly investigate all the properties mentioned. :D

Thanks, in advance!

Eileen

We stayed at the Richmond Hotel on Collins. It is right on the beach which was fabulous. If you've done your research, you will realize that SB hotels are older...no large rooms or plush bathrooms with the exception of the $500 per night hotels - Loew's, Delano, National, etc.

It is 1 1/2 blocks from Lincoln Road which has tons of shops and restaurants. We loved the location and while SB is expensive, it's an experience everyone should have the opportunity to see if they wish. My DH loves SB (think it's the topless thing) but our stay at the Richmond was nice. Rooms are small but it was clean and I understand rooms have been upgraded with new TV's etc. The pool area and grounds are beautiful at the Richmond and a few steps from the sand.

The Marseilles Hotel which is right beside the Richmond, has good rates even for winter 2009.

Just be realistic about SB...many hotels don't have great reviews and most of the time, you get what you pay for. I work with a woman who organized a group at the Best Western off Collins. It wasn't on the beach but they didn't want to pay $250 a night for a hotel. Got it for $99 during April a few years ago. They were in group so safety really wasn't an issue but basically, they stayed outside near the pool until after midnight and up by 5. Rooms were really scary and dirty but they didn't mind...they were near SB, people watching and headed for a cruise the next day!

After much research on this board, we have decided to stay at Loews on South Beach. It is directly on the beach. But no free shuttles.

We just booked at the Loews for Oct 9-11 prior to our Liberty cruise as well. Please post back after your stay and let me know what you think of the place.

We did alot of research as well. We actually first booked at the "Park Central" and then "Shore Club" but after reading the many negative reveiws, we cancelled and booked at Loews. Loews has excellent reviews on trip adisor and hotels dot com. A little pricey, but hey, you only live once, right? This will be the perfect beginning to a romantic vacation without the kids!!

Some advice needed,

Looking to stay at SOBE Jan 9-- a 3* quality that is close everything.

Probably on Collins.

1. Is there a way to identify what address are within walking distance?

2. Also, Flying in and out of FLL ...other than taxi, we need transport from FLL and to port everglades. Any ideas?

I noticed Bookit.com has some great deals for South Beach Hotels ..most thru Oct.

Thanks,

Mike

Richmond Hotel is located right on the beach. A few blocks north of Lincoln Road and a 10 mins walk to all the night life. Reasonable Rates - I got two nights (Sat and Sun) for $200.00 with tax included. They even have a private walkway - with a coded gate from their hotel to the beach. Enjoy. Anyone know a good way to get to SoBe from FLL?

Some advice needed,

Looking to stay at SOBE Jan 9-- a 3* quality that is close everything.

Probably on Collins.

1. Is there a way to identify what address are within walking distance?

2. Also, Flying in and out of FLL ...other than taxi, we need transport from FLL and to port everglades. Any ideas?

I noticed Bookit.com has some great deals for South Beach Hotels ..most thru Oct.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

There is a 3 Star hotel on Collins; on the beach; in SoBe -- listed on Hotwire for your dates @ $154 + tax. Might want to check it out:

Hotel Amenities

Hotel-amenities-boutique-hotel.gif

Boutique Hotel

Property offers a distinctive, unique or eclectic atmosphere. Many boutique hotels are smaller, hip properties in an urban setting, or renovated hotels with historical flair.

Hotel-Amenities-Beach-Front.gif

Beachfront

Property is located on the beach.

Hotel-Amenities-Fitness-Centers.gif

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Hotel-Amenities-Pools.gif

Pool(s)

Property offers at least one pool area; hours and dates of operation may be seasonal.

Hotel-Amenities-Restaurants.gif

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Hotel-Amenities-Business-Centers.gif

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

High-speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Tennis Nearby

Property is located within walking distance or a short drive of at least one tennis court; an extra charge typically applies.

Good Luck, Kel

Since this is our first visit to Miami/South Beach, we'd like to enjoy the ambience and a bit of the local "flavor" without breaking the bank.

Can anyone provide insight about any of these properties? I've checked TA, but am hoping to get some input from CC folks.

SoBeYou Bed & Breakfast

Hotel Astor

Hotel St. Augustine

Westgate South Beach

I've been "begging" for responses about South Beach accommodations without much luck. I'm so excited to have found this thread. YOU ARE ALL TERRIFIC! I will take advantage of each post and eagerly investigate all the properties mentioned. :D

Thanks, in advance!

Eileen

Eileen, your choices are dismal at best.

South Beach is one place that doesn't have inexpensive rooms in season and if you do find one, you don't want to stay there.

Archived