So Who is thinking about booking DCL for AK?

lagbunch8

The Magic and Wonder are not equipped to sail to Alaska. Perhaps after the new ships come out they will do modifications. But the hull and propellers would need to be changed before the ships can sail there.

There's nothing wrong with the Magic and Wonder as is for Alaska. They're not cruising to Antarctica!

Also--both the Magic and Wonder don't have heated pools, nor are their pool areas equipped w/a retractable roof, both of which are MUSTS for Alaska.

So--if anything sails to Alaska, it will be the NEW ships.

CeleBrat

Plenty of ships in Alaska don't have covered pools. Also, the new ships are TOO BIG to go through the Panama Canal, and they carry too many passengers for Alaska. They would be overkill. I don't think they will EVER go to Alaska!

The Magic and Wonder are not equipped to sail to Alaska. Perhaps after the new ships come out they will do modifications. But the hull and propellers would need to be changed before the ships can sail there.

What would need to be changed on the propeller and hull?

If they were planning on going to Alaska it would be in the Summer where the only threat to the hull is the rare growler. In the winter they might need an ice hull but most cruise ships don't go there in the Winter because of the low demand for freezing cold cruises.

There's nothing wrong with the Magic and Wonder as is for Alaska. They're not cruising to Antarctica!

No, but there is ice in the water. When I cruised to Alaska I was in the front of the ship, and it was kind of creepy hearing the ice hit the ship during the night!

I watched a video of one of the RCI ships while onboard Independence- it was either a Voyager or Freedom class being towed out of their shipyard. The narrator explained that the ship had to be towed out, because of the ice in the water. He stated that the propellers and hull were not thick enough to withstand cutting through the ice. And remember these ships are MUCH larger than the DCL ships. Since I've heard this many times about the Disney ships I have to believe its true. (If the Capt doesn't think the ships can go to Alaska, then who am I to second guess him?)

As for the covered pool, I know some ships do sail Alaska without it. But DCL is not prepared to do so. A lot of their planned activities revolve around outdoor deck parties. And there's no where on the ship they can move them to (like the Grand Promenade on some of the RCI ships). Even the Castaway Club parties have to be split up into 3 different lounges and that was with only a few of the kids present!

I do think DCL will make it to Alaska one day, but just not in the near future.

No, but there is ice in the water. When I cruised to Alaska I was in the front of the ship, and it was kind of creepy hearing the ice hit the ship during the night!

I watched a video of one of the RCI ships while onboard Independence- it was either a Voyager or Freedom class being towed out of their shipyard. The narrator explained that the ship had to be towed out, because of the ice in the water. He stated that the propellers and hull were not thick enough to withstand cutting through the ice. And remember these ships are MUCH larger than the DCL ships. Since I've heard this many times about the Disney ships I have to believe its true. (If the Capt doesn't think the ships can go to Alaska, then who am I to second guess him?)

As for the covered pool, I know some ships do sail Alaska without it. But DCL is not prepared to do so. A lot of their planned activities revolve around outdoor deck parties. And there's no where on the ship they can move them to (like the Grand Promenade on some of the RCI ships). Even the Castaway Club parties have to be split up into 3 different lounges and that was with only a few of the kids present!

I do think DCL will make it to Alaska one day, but just not in the near future.

Perhaps the new RCI ship was being towed because it was winter when it left the shipyard. There's nothing special about the 3 RCI ships that cruise to Alaska now, and they are not Voyager or Freedom-class ships.

I think DCL intends to sail to Alaska sooner rather than later, because they applied for Glacier Bay permits. I still think it will NOT be on one of the new ships when it does go there.

There is also ice floating around the Atlantic provinces in Canada--watching iceburgs is a national past time in Newfoundland. And cruise ships without covered pools go there reguarly--in the fall months when it's cold!

I'll be on a Canada cruise next week (Oct. 9-18) - although my ship doesn't go to Newfoundland. It will go to Nova Scotia, PEI, and Quebec.

There is also ice floating around the Atlantic provinces in Canada--watching iceburgs is a national past time in Newfoundland. And cruise ships without covered pools go there reguarly--in the fall months when it's cold!

Yes, and there are ships that go to Alaska without covered pools. However, they are structurally built to withstand the colder weather.

One of my fondest memories of cruising Alaska is sitting in the outside hot tub while we cruised Glacier Bay. It was absolutely gorgeous! But there were ZERO kids on that cruise. Alaska cruises have historically been about the scenery with Glacier Bay being the highlight of the trip. It's only lately that Alaska has become more of a family destination. The kids need SOMETHING to do besides watching icebergs. Kids that cruise DCL tend to spend a LOT of time in the pools. Especially those that have cruised before, and done all the kids activities - how many times can you make flubber??

If it's 60 degrees out, and they are pumping ice water into unheated pools, then what are the kids going to do???

However, for those that would like a wonderful family experience in Alaska in the near term, Adventures by Disney is now offering land-based trips there. We did ABD to Germany and they are wonderful! I booked our next ABD trip to Austria/Czech Rep the same day we got home froom the last one!!

Yes, and there are ships that go to Alaska without covered pools. However, they are structurally built to withstand the colder weather.

One of my fondest memories of cruising Alaska is sitting in the outside hot tub while we cruised Glacier Bay. It was absolutely gorgeous! But there were ZERO kids on that cruise. Alaska cruises have historically been about the scenery with Glacier Bay being the highlight of the trip. It's only lately that Alaska has become more of a family destination. The kids need SOMETHING to do besides watching icebergs. Kids that cruise DCL tend to spend a LOT of time in the pools. Especially those that have cruised before, and done all the kids activities - how many times can you make flubber??

If it's 60 degrees out, and they are pumping ice water into unheated pools, then what are the kids going to do???

However, for those that would like a wonderful family experience in Alaska in the near term, Adventures by Disney is now offering land-based trips there. We did ABD to Germany and they are wonderful! I booked our next ABD trip to Austria/Czech Rep the same day we got home froom the last one!!

They are losing market share to other lines. DCL isn't just a line for families with young kids. They also get multi-generational families, famillies with teens, and adults with no children cruising with them.

On a port intensive cruise (which AK usually is) there isn't all that much time for swimming. Between the kids clubs and shore excursions, there is plenty to keep kids occupied without a pool.

The MAJORITY of people who cruise on DCL only cruise every few years, so their don't have kids who are bored with the kids clubs.

Bottom line, DCL has spent the time and money to apply to cruise Alaska. They didn't do that for the heck of it, so they ARE planning on AK cruises.

They are losing market share to other lines. DCL isn't just a line for families with young kids. They also get multi-generational families, famillies with teens, and adults with no children cruising with them.

On a port intensive cruise (which AK usually is) there isn't all that much time for swimming. Between the kids clubs and shore excursions, there is plenty to keep kids occupied without a pool.

The MAJORITY of people who cruise on DCL only cruise every few years, so their don't have kids who are bored with the kids clubs.

Bottom line, DCL has spent the time and money to apply to cruise Alaska. They didn't do that for the heck of it, so they ARE planning on AK cruises.

I absolutely agree that they are losing market share to other lines, due to their limited itineraries. Also absolutely agree that DCL is NOT just for young kids. I am constantly telling folks of all ages that they will LOVE DCL! But the summer months are when the kids are out of school, and when we did the Med cruise in June 07, the kids were just everywhere! Plus the pool is probably the main area on the ships where multi-generational families can gather and all have a good time.

And again, I'm not saying they can't cruise Alaska without a cover on the pool. I'm just saying that I don't think it'd be a good idea with their current range of activities.

A typical 7 night Alaska cruise only visits Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. The rest of the time is spent cruisinig and looking at glaciers. The 11-night Med cruise was definitely port-intensive (7 ports) and the pool was packed constantly. And when we were on the Crown Princess to the Baltics, DD found plenty of time to swim even though we hit 7 ports in 10 days

I also agree that DCL didn't apply for the Alaska permit just for the heck of it. It would be foolish not to plan for Alaska in the future, and I know they had the 2007 Med itinerary planned out over 3 years in advance.

I am constantly telling folks of all ages that they will LOVE DCL! But the summer months are when the kids are out of school, and when we did the Med cruise in June 07, the kids were just everywhere!

That's exactly why I wouldn't do a Med cruise on Disney...too many kids! I also wouldn't do a Med cruise in summer due to the heat, crowds, and higher prices. I'd go there in the spring or fall when it's cooler, cheaper, and the kids are in school.

That's exactly why I wouldn't do a Med cruise on Disney...too many kids! I also wouldn't do a Med cruise in summer due to the heat, crowds, and higher prices. I'd go there in the spring or fall when it's cooler, cheaper, and the kids are in school.

And to make matters worse, most of the parents were jet-lagged, so they were too tired to deal with the kids. Some of them were just totally running wild. :(

AND...there aren't really any good glacier-watching lounges on either of the two Disney ships. So--it wouldn't be an ideal situation. When we cruised Alaska on the NCL a few summers ago, the entire forward Spinnaker Lounge, which was floor to ceiling windows forward, port, and starboard, was turned into a glacier-watching lounge, complete with on-board nature expert.

I'm not convinced they are going there...yet....

CeleBrat

Archived