Mystery Island, Wala, Poum: Been there?

sailingmum

Sorry if this is a repeat - I can't get the search engine to pull up much info on these places.

We are travelling Sept 23rd to:

Noumea, New Caledonia

Mystery Island, Vanauatu

Wala, Vanauatu

Poum, New Caledonia (is this Emerald Bay?)

My question is this: the only place were we are offered shore tours is in Nomea. I was thinking of doing the tour to Duck Island and snorkeling there. But what do you do at the other places? Is it all snorkeling? Is there any other good place to snorkel where we are going? I'm not sure if adding in more snorking is the right thing to be doing in Noumea.

I would love to hear anything about your experiences in these places.

Sandi

Hi Sandi,

I can only offer information on Wala.

Yes, you can snorkel and swim there, but the main plus is the local tours that are put on by the natives.

The guide will walk you around displays, dancers, warriors and explain their way of life. There is a small charge, that is way better value for money than any of the shore tours on the cruise.

These are some of my favourite snaps from Wala. Click the pic for several more in the album.

2521791950101343478S600x600Q85.jpg

2736534430101343478S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi, we did this itinerary on Pacific Sun in 2005. It's not a bad combination of places.

Poum/Emerald Bay - they normally operate tours to Poum, a village about a 20min tender ride from where the ship anchors in Emerald Bay. Divine Island is right where the ships anchor and they used to put on a bbq on the beach there, but not sure if they still do. There's not much to do on Divine Island by enjoy the swimming, listen to the singing shells, and walk up the hill to the lookout to get wonderful view of the ship anchored in the bay.

1502500820078909071S200x200Q85.jpg

Mystery Island - lots of markets, small enough to completely circumnavigate on foot in less than 1hr. Get your photo taken in the cannibals pot, enjoy some local foods. Swimming is great (or so I've heard, the weather was lousy the day we were there, certainly not swimming weather.

1464268686078909071S200x200Q85.jpg1464268878078909071S200x200Q85.jpg

Wala - take a tour (gold coin donation) of the villages on the island led by the locals, shop at the markets, swim. Have a look at this video for more on Wala

1464269218078909071S200x200Q85.jpg1464269379078909071S200x200Q85.jpg

I would reconsider Duck Island/ Noumea as you will swim and snorkle on the other 3. We especially love Walla & Mystery Island and have seen some amazing reefs there. Walk through the centre of Mystery UIsland and head right there are some great gutters full of fish and corals. On Walla we walked a fair way riright of the jetty . We take a large sheet and put under our towels & things .

In Noumea you can buy a day ticket on the Noumea Explorer (1000 xpf - around A$15) or go on a bus sight-seeing trip. These are 45 minute trips and cost A$15 if purchased in the terminal on the wharf. You can go to the markets (walk to the right abouat 700 metres). They close at 11am.

Enjoy your cruise.:):)

Did exactly the same itinerary and although tours were originally offered in the paperwork, none were offered. Maybe lack of interest.

For Poum aka Emerald Bay the tenders went to Divine Island and there was swimming, snorkelling and a wander around the island.

Just be careful with the snorkelling. When the tide is out it can be tricky swimming over the coral.

They provides a barbeque where they cook the patties and then you make your own burger. Can take as much as you want. There was also fruit available.

They also take over drinks that you can purchase via your cruise card.

Was a very relaxing day.

Babs

We went snorkelling on Ile aux Canards (Duck Island) at Noumea and were totally blown away. We have also snorkeled at Mystery Island. What makes Duck Island different is that (when we were there at least) there were huge schools of large fish- trevelly etc right at the waters edge, rather than the more colourful reef fishes. I am sure that they were there as well but we didn't venture out far as it was very choppy that day and I am not a confident swimmer.

Mystery island from what we saw has a lot more of the brightly coloured and smaller reef fishes. I would try to go to both!

We especially love Walla & Mystery Island and have seen some amazing reefs there. Walk through the centre of Mystery UIsland and head right there are some great gutters full of fish and corals. On Walla we walked a fair way riright of the jetty . We take a large sheet and put under our towels & things .

Hi didiaust

When you mentioned that you 'walked through the middle of Mystery Island and then headed right' to get to great reefs and fish -

How long approx is that walk ? and was it an easy walk to do ?

Were tossing up whether to snorkel at Hideaway Island Vila (1st stop) or to snorkle at Mystery Island. (2nd stop)

When we were at Mystery Island 7 years ago, we only snorkled around the beach area where the tenders drop you off and we saw nothing.

So any info on where you snorkelled on Mystery Island would be great.

Look for this white stick on Mystery Island, head a little bit further to the left, and go off the rocks. You absolutely MUST snorkle. Its divine. I would (and did!) snorkle at Duck Island also. It was great. We love snorkelling though!:

290508082.jpg

Because I am nice :)

295.jpg

Look for this white stick on Mystery Island, head a little bit further to the left, and go off the rocks. You absolutely MUST snorkle. Its divine. I would (and did!) snorkle at Duck Island also. It was great. We love snorkelling though!:

290508082.jpg

Thanks Steggles

What side of the island is this white stick located in relation to where the tenders drop you off. ?

ARe the rocks you mention the ones in the photo that are right at the shore line....or are they out futher. ?

290508082.jpg

Thanks Steggles

What side of the island is this white stick located in relation to where the tenders drop you off. ?

ARe the rocks you mention the ones in the photo that are right at the shore line....or are they out futher. ?

Hi Kazda, I have edited my post, so if you refresh you will find what you seek!!! ;)

ETA: The rocks are the ones at the shoreline - will see if I can find another pic that will help!

2983ed.jpg

Wow thanks Steggles for the map of island, photos and drawn pictures. :D

I'll know exactly where to head to in a months time.

One thing though, when snorkelling off this area, we're not likely to end up with cuts from the rocks and coral are we ???

As long as you are careful, and think before putting your foot down (ir make sure its not slippery/sharp) when getting in, you should be fine!!!

You are welcome, we LOVE Mystery Island! Enjoy yourself! We will be back there in Jan! (yayness!).

Archived