Island Princess questions

Ginneeeeee

Hi, I'm booked on the Island Princess Hawaii cruise for September 23, 2005 and have a few questions. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it. My first question is about the beds. I always thought that 2 twin beds together was considered to be a king size bed. But in all the listings for this ship I've read they all say two twins together to make a queen size bed. I'm confused. Which is it. We are so used to a king bed I'm wondering if a queen bed will be ok for us. Also I'm confused about the size of the room - we are booked in room D420 midship on the Dolphin Deck. Looking in Princess' brochure it says that this room is 470 SF but searching the web I found a sight that has cabin reviews and it says that this room is only 305 SF. If anyone has any information I really would be very greatful. This cruise will be for our 35th wedding anniversary and we really want it to be special so we opted for the larger room with covered deck. I hope I made the right reservations - I hope I didn't screw up. :confused:

if you have a minisuite on the Island, the 305 sf sounds right (I can't access the Princess site right now or I'd check to see just what category room you have)

I think the beds are queen, not king when put together but it's never bothered us and we're used to a king at home

I think I'm right in saying that the 470 sq ft includes the balcony. Any way, the mini-suite is much bigger than the standard cabin on Island/Coral with a seating area with sofa. We had one last April and we don't want to go back to a standard cabin as it was so good. You definitely haven't made a mistake.

I hope you have a great cruise.

I was on the Island P to the Panama Canal and had a minisuite....LOVED IT!!!

The bed seemed more like a king to me than a queen. We have slept in a king for 28 years, and believe me, I would know if we were in a queen. The only way it could be a queen is if the 2 twins are not true twinsize beds.

You are gonna love it 11_1_216.gif

You did not screw up. D420 is a Cat PS Suite not a mini-suite. It is 470 square feet including the balcony. The beds when pushed together are larger than a Queen, smaller than our CalKing but more than adequate for you to enjoy your 35th wedding anniversary. We will be on the Island 4/19/05 on the same cruise.

I really think the minis on the Island and Coral are 305sf with balcony (still a decent sized room!) Minis on the other Sun class ships are much larger and probably more in the 470 range.

Ah, I can finally access the Princess site..... and it says this for the Full suites:

Twin beds that make up into a queen-size bed. Separate sitting area with sofa bed. Balcony. Two televisions. Refrigerator with wet bar. Walk-in closet. Bath with tub and shower. Approximately 470 square feet, including balcony.

for the minis, it says this:

Twin beds that make up into a queen-size bed. Separate sitting area with sofa bed. Balcony. Two televisions. Refrigerator. Spacious closet. Bath with tub and shower. Approximately 280-302 square feet including balcony. Category AF staterooms offer same amenities, but have a picture window rather than a balcony

ETA since I can access the site now I see that you are booked in a suite so the 470 is right :) Didn't mean to confuse things...I just didn't know if D420 was a suite or a mini since I couldn't look at the Princess home page :)

GINNEEEEEE / Hello my wife and I just got off the Island Princess last week. We had cabin D423, this cabin is on the other side of the one you have D420. Our cabin was the Catalina suite. You will love this cabin. As for the beds or bed, you can have split into 2 singles or left as one double your choice.

We have also booked cruise for next April and also the same Cabin D423.

Bob and Dona

I am booked on the same cruise as you....you will love it....

Am booked on Aloha on #319. Hoping that I will make it because I have 2 elderly parents in UK who are 90/91 and are pretty fragile so might have to cancel...I hope not. Maybe on a sea day I can buy you guys a coffee or a drink to toast your 35th Congratulations.

hallo, I'm a newbe on this forum, nice to hear you stayed at the PS-suite. I'm booked on a PS-suite, named BALI. Sailing from LA to Hawaii and back, Jan 2005.

Is it correct that the PS suites on the Dolphin have a Larger balcony than the suites on the Caribe deck ? Did you get some extra's when staying at the suite?

does anyone have some advice for the excursions on the islands,

thanks ! a happy cruiser from Europe

Some people rent a car in advance.

If you have never been to the Islands it might be better for you to book some of the Princess Excursions which you can access through the Princess web site...and on your cruise personalizer.

Princess has some very good excursions...plus you don't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time.

There are also usually free buses at the terminal but they just take you to the shopping centers.

Others like to go scuba diving and beaching.

It depends on what you like they are plenty of choices for every age group for excursions.

thanks, Why are people booking excursions through the cruise personalizer ? once you have booked through the cruise personalizer, can you still change for another excursion? perhaps the cruiseline provide more information during the cruise, so I can pick the best excursion.

yes, it's a good advice to book with Princess and don't have to worry about getting back on time.

I always book via Cruise personalizer in advance.You cannot pay in advance only on board they are billed to your credit card on board and the tickets are in your cabin on your arrival to ship.

If you change my mind and thats easily done in your personalizer (have done several times in past)....always got tickets requested.

The reason for booking on line is sometimes the popular tours get booked up .The second reason why waste your time lining up at the tour office when you could be enjoying your cruise. You can even change your tour or cancel on board they give you you a deadline on each Island...after that time you get charged.

Hope have been able to help you....Kruisey.

I am booked on the same cruise as you....you will love it....

Am booked on Aloha on #319. Hoping that I will make it because I have 2 elderly parents in UK who are 90/91 and are pretty fragile so might have to cancel...I hope not. Maybe on a sea day I can buy you guys a coffee or a drink to toast your 35th Congratulations.

Hi Kruisey - Thank you that is so kind. I hope all goes well with your parents and you can enjoy your cruise. How wonderful that you still have both of them. I also have an elderly mother living with us - she just turned 84 and will be 85 by the time we cruise. Luckily for me my son will stay here at home with her so we can enjoy our days at sea. We love cruising. This will be our third cruise and our first with Princess. Our first cruise was to Alaska and our second the New England Canada both with HAL they were wonderful and we have been hooked on cruising since. Princess sounds wonderful from all the things I've read so we're really looking forward to this. It would be great to meet up on board and share a drink - Thanks again - Gina

GINNEEEEEE / Hello my wife and I just got off the Island Princess last week. We had cabin D423, this cabin is on the other side of the one you have D420. Our cabin was the Catalina suite. You will love this cabin. As for the beds or bed, you can have split into 2 singles or left as one double your choice.

We have also booked cruise for next April and also the same Cabin D423.

Bob and Dona

Hi Bob and Dona - Thanks for the response - I'm so anxious to go on this cruise - I wish it was next week and not almost a year away. If you have any tips that you can share I'd to hear them. Sounds like you had a good time since your doing it again in April - Enjoy and have a wonderful time - Gina

You did not screw up. D420 is a Cat PS Suite not a mini-suite. It is 470 square feet including the balcony. The beds when pushed together are larger than a Queen, smaller than our CalKing but more than adequate for you to enjoy your 35th wedding anniversary. We will be on the Island 4/19/05 on the same cruise.

Thank you so much and have a wonderful time on your cruise. - Gina

hallo, I'm a newbe on this forum, nice to hear you stayed at the PS-suite. I'm booked on a PS-suite, named BALI. Sailing from LA to Hawaii and back, Jan 2005.

Is it correct that the PS suites on the Dolphin have a Larger balcony than the suites on the Caribe deck ? Did you get some extra's when staying at the suite?

does anyone have some advice for the excursions on the islands,

thanks ! a happy cruiser from Europe

Tony Europe,We had the Bali Suite,C628 earlier this year.The balcony is huge.You will enjoy this cabin.If you would like to see pictures of the suite email me at johnmik1@aol.com with your email address.

For whom ever just did the 15 day Hawaii trip - how was the dress code? Do you remember how many formal nights, etc?

Also, would you mind writing up any overall review. I've only seen one review on the new Hawaii itinerary.

Can you think of anything that is a "must take" item - I've heard an extension cord is a good idea on the IP.

Can you tell I'm getting very excited about our upcoming Hawaii trip.

Thanks so much.

Archived