Liquor Question

Hey there!

I'm going on my first cruise where I have to fly. Previously I have only been on Explorer and I live 15 minutes from Bayonne. So getting any alcohol that we've bought on the ship home in one piece has never been a concern. But nowI'm going on Oasis and need to fly to FL. How would I get the bottles I've purchased on the ship home without them breaking?

Hey there!

I'm going on my first cruise where I have to fly. Previously I have only been on Explorer and I live 15 minutes from Bayonne. So getting any alcohol that we've bought on the ship home in one piece has never been a concern. But nowI'm going on Oasis and need to fly to FL. How would I get the bottles I've purchased on the ship home without them breaking?

You'd have to pack them in your checked luggage. Can't carry them on the plane due to the silly restrictions.

Just make sure you package them well enough so they don't explode or break in your suitcase.

I stopped buying liquor for that reason. My suitcase is a 21" roll-on-board.....no room for booze unless I drag a bigger suitcase, which I won't do.

Good luck.

We put the bottles in our checked luggage. Exploding is not an issue since the baggage area is pressurized. The bottles are fairly substantial and can take some abuse. We wrap them in clothes and put them in the middle of the suitcase and never had a problem. The weight can be a problem since baggage is limited to 50 pounds (unless you want to pay for an overweight bag). We usually buy two bottles, one for each checked bag.

I have never had a bottle break in a suitcase either. An we pack soft sides suitcases, and wrap our purchases in clothing. We try to get aboard about 6 pounds under what the air carrier allows.......so that we can purchase and take home some exotic brands, or good deals that the ship has to offer.

However.........it's not so easy on the Monarch.........as they now deliver the bottles to the dock in the morning of departure........and not in your cabin on the last night.

Rick

I seem to recall a post from months ago where someone had packed their bottles in their luggage but had to leave it behind because it wasn't being shipped in stryofoam packaging that the airline(s) required. I think it was discovered when TSA officials searched their luggage. This may not be correct, but thought I'd put it out anyway, just in case.

We had a CD on one cruise who suggested that the pool towels were great for wrapping those bottles of liquor.:D

Actually, we stopped making those purchases some years ago when we decided that the savings weren't sufficient to make up for the hassle over luggage weight restrictions and worries about breakage. Saw too many bags leaking when they came off the carousel to bother trying to save a few bucks, especially given the limits to what you are allowed to bring back without paying a duty. My discount liquor store near home is sufficient.:)

We found the greatest things on our last cruise. They were inflatable bottle protectors shaped like the bottles. I'd never seen anything like them and they worked great.

Doesn't help with the weight problem though.

Terri

I seem to recall a post from months ago where someone had packed their bottles in their luggage but had to leave it behind because it wasn't being shipped in stryofoam packaging that the airline(s) required. I think it was discovered when TSA officials searched their luggage. This may not be correct, but thought I'd put it out anyway, just in case.
I remember reading that same thread. It was a specific rule of the airline and now I can't remember which one.

As someone pointed out, the airlines have put a new spin on bringing alcohol back. We're cutting back to three checked pieces for our next cruise and may try to trim it to 2 in the future. It's just another cost but at least one that we can somewhat control.

Charlie

Archived