Sea sickness

Wow lots of different ideas, i guess each to their own, everyone will react to different medications differently. I think I'll get the phenergen tabs and start having them the morning of the cruise as a prevention measure. I then can (if need be) get an injection as I'm guessing that the injection will be a larger dose??????

I need to get it out of my head as these things are a bit of "mind of matter":confused: If i think i'll be sick - No matter what precautions i will take i'll be sick.:D

However, i do feel more confident now after reading the previously experienced posts that you guys have made. :) I have had the phenergen injection on a previous cruise and it worked wonders, only had the 1 injection which was on the 3rd day of a 12 night cruise.

I will consult with my Dr first, maybe there is something new on the market - i will keep you posted.

Regards-

Aussiescouser (the wife):p :p :p

You seem to have it worked out ... try not to dwell on it!

If you want to give the Phernerghan a go (or one of the others suggested) - why not give it a go on a weekend, or a day you know you don't have to do anything(!!!!) and see how you react --- at least then you know what you're in for! As you said everyone reacts differently and no one medication is right for everyone!

Your GP will probably have a raft of other suggestions as well!:)

I need to get it out of my head as these things are a bit of "mind of matter":confused: If i think i'll be sick - No matter what precautions i will take i'll be sick.:D

I agree with this. I've been trying to get my parents to go on a cruise with us but My father says he'll be sick & I just know he would be because he'd talk himself into it even if he was in the bath! LOL

Regards-

Aussiescouser (the wife):p :p :p

I agree that for most people it is mind over matter. And I think reading these boards has confirmed that. When I cruised on Australis & Fairstar, I never even gave seasickness a thought and as there was no internet with boards like this I hadn't read anything about it and took nothing. I didn't get sick and not many people did. Nowadays, as soon as someone books a cruise (on ships much bigger than the ones I have mentioned), they're on here asking what to take for seasickness. My youngest child sometimes gets car sick and on our first cruise we had a rough day & he was a bit sick. I gave him phenergan & he was fine. Second cruise, he took nothing and had no problems whatsoever. Every time I've been on a ship.......very few people got sick.

. Every time I've been on a ship.......very few people got sick.

You've obviously been on different ships to me Karen! I've definitely seen people quite sea sick (and quite a few of them) when we've had rougher than 'normal' conditions - particularly on our first cruise. Will never forget the lady two rows behind me in Bingo, throwing up into her white bag, while still dobbing away at her numbers! (There's dedication for you!!!):D:eek:

I agree that for some people they are probably quite able to talk themselves into (or out of) being sea sick ... but I know that for those that truly suffer - it's a miserable way to be! I just take the tablets and forget about it! (I have a daughter that gets car sick quite easily - and to be honest, it just as easy to give her something each night or morning - and neither of us have to think about it! Although she did carry a white bag around one night on our first cruise, when it was quite rough! Think she was feeling it then).

I have never been sick going out onto the sea but my two sisters have so i hope that being on a cruise liner will be very different!

With the mind over matter thing, yeah I'm sure that some people might bring it on themselves by focusing on it too much but for some, no matter how much they tell themselves "i will not be sick," they can still get quite bad. Throughout my last pregnancy I was in hospital many times with dehydration from constant vomitting and so many people were telling me that I needed to stop thinking about it :rolleyes: I politely told each of them to remember this conversation and try "mind over matter" next time they had a tummy bug. Nearly each and every person has apologised :D

I dont know about anyone else but reading some of these posts is making me queasy ..lol :eek:

I have not been on a cruise before but I was determined to try natural products only. Ginger, bitters and seabands..

But after some of these posts I am thinking I should invest in travacalm.. Is it a drug or natural?

totally agree

when i was on the sky in 2003 i was feeling nausea and went to the Dr deck. When i got their i saw heaps of people in the aisle throwing up. I turned to my DH and he said i was as green as :D :D :D .

I couldn't help but to throw up over and over (there were people handing out paper bags to one another in the aisle) until i got the injection and instantly stopped.

That was such a bad feeling to have, nothing worse....

I am mentally telling myself i'll be fine.....:p :p :p

I dont know about anyone else but reading some of these posts is making me queasy ..lol :eek:

I have not been on a cruise before but I was determined to try natural products only. Ginger, bitters and seabands..

But after some of these posts I am thinking I should invest in travacalm.. Is it a drug or natural?

Sorry about making you feel queasy,

when i enquired about travelcalm the other day at the chemist she asked me if i were thinking of a natural or medicated tablets.

So yes there are natural tablets you can take.

Aussiescouser (the Wife):p :p :p

when i enquired about travelcalm the other day at the chemist she asked me if i were thinking of a natural or medicated tablets.

Dont apologise ..entirely my own fault..too much visualisation ..lol

My sister had a different experience - was feeling really queasy so took Travacalm but found the caffeine kept her awake all night rather than helping her sleep. She took some of our Avomine the next night and felt heaps better.... nausea gone & slept well.

The other "natural" remedy (picked up from my wife's sailing days) - fresh air and watching the horizon. This allows the brain to cope with the movement better?!?!

Happy Cruising

My sister had a different experience - was feeling really queasy so took Travacalm but found the caffeine kept her awake all night rather than helping her sleep. She took some of our Avomine the next night and felt heaps better.... nausea gone & slept well.

The other "natural" remedy (picked up from my wife's sailing days) - fresh air and watching the horizon. This allows the brain to cope with the movement better?!?!

Happy Cruising

There are 3 types of Travacalm, which further confuses the varying options that are out there, and until you know what works best for you it is hit & miss.

The natural ones have ginger as the only active ingredient. Works for some, makes others get reflux.

The original travacalm has caffeine. Anyone who gets starry eyed is better to use the version without caffeine.

Travacalm H.O. does not have caffeine, is shorter lasting, and will make most people drowsy.

I agree with the fresh air and watching the horizon. This helps reset your balance by seeing the motion your inner ear is sensing. However, this also only works for some, and those that get heavily seasick can feel instantly worse too.

What works for me? Don't know - I don't get seasick, and DW only does in small boats. We armed ourselves with Kwells, Travacalm & Phenergan but they are still sealed in their packs.

It took years for my DH to cruise with me as he literally would be ill on a wet hankerchief! However what we have found is that you are most likely to feel ill in the first few days as you get used to the motion of the ship. He uses Dramamine for the first couple of days and then is generally fine and we have been on all size ships both large and small in smooth and rough conditions.

Other than that all the usual advice on cabin choice is also valid..mid ships not too high up is where there is the least movement.

I have read in other threads that some people swear by the acupressure bands on the wrists so I would also try that.

do you take travelcalm once every 24 hours? If so i'll just get the one with caffeine and have it of a morning

Will not last 24hrs.

My pack recommends to take 30 mins before travel, and repeat after 4 hours if needed - and not to exceed 4 tablets per day.

Hi Guys,

I asked the question at a Health shop and they recommend Blackmores motion tabs - Main ingredient, yep you guessed it GINGER. You get 40 in a packet retails about $14.00. You need to take 2 initially then 2 or 3 every 2 hours. That to me means they are not very strong. With Phenergan, Kwells and travalcalm you only need to take 1 tab every 4 hours or when necessary.

Personal choice

Regards

Aussiescouser:p :p :p

(the wife)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We travelled on the Star 18 months ago and were advised by our GP to take Avamine for seasickness. They were wonderful aparently they are used by the Australian Navy for seasickness. Agentleman in a cabin next to us had an injection from the onboard doctor (at a cost of $200) but it did not do much good so I gave him some of my tablets and he was up and about and eating in no time. We had no drowsyness and it had no ill effects while drinking. Hope I have helped a little.

Annette

Promethazine is an antihistamine that can be used to prevent nausea caused by motion sickness, but it can cause drowsiness. Brand names include Phenergan and Avomine. Products that will make some people sleepy, work well for others without the drowsiness. :):)

Archived