transatlantic question

amy417

We are thinking about a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to New york in Nov 2009. I love aft balconies and spend most of my sea day time there. Can anyone tell me what the weather should be like crossing the Atlanic in December. Being on the back of the ship cuts down on the wind considerably but if I can't use my balcony I will need to reconsider.

thanks in advance.

We are thinking about a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to New york in Nov 2009. I love aft balconies and spend most of my sea day time there. Can anyone tell me what the weather should be like crossing the Atlanic in December. Being on the back of the ship cuts down on the wind considerably but if I can't use my balcony I will need to reconsider.

thanks in advance.

Due to lousy weather we won't do anymore transatlantics from or to North Eastern US ports. From now on it's strictly Southern crossings for us. I would suggest you pack a sweater and leave the summer clothes at home.

i went on a t/a this year in april....but going from ft lauderdale to barcelona. needless to say, the bathing suit was never used. heading north was cooler in weather than coming south. but all of that to say....weather in barcelona is lovely in the winter, much milder than new york. the balcony is still as lovely with a sweater on:D

Due to lousy weather we won't do anymore transatlantics from or to North Eastern US ports. From now on it's strictly Southern crossings for us. I would suggest you pack a sweater and leave the summer clothes at home.

After completing 14 Transatlantic Crossings I definately endorse what Kewlguy has said, no more TA's for us using the Northern route and especially that late in the year.

Had 30+ft swells the last time we did that route on the QE2, UK to New York and the Captain had ALL EXTERIOR DOORS LOCKED so nobody was allowed outside on deck for 4 days, I know all the crossings are not the same but you have to take your chance.

Besides loving the Radiance class, the weather on our Northern route TA next week is a reason we chose the Jewel because of the beautiful INDOOR pool in the solarium, and it is adults only though I doubt there will be too many kids.

No matter what anyone says...........the northern routes can be a bit rough..........almost anytime of the year........but more especially fall, winter and spring.

So far..........the North Atlantic remains an untamed water.......and can swell up for any given reason. :D :D :D

The ships are safe.........the passengers either like the great movement, or will spend a number of days just looking green!! :eek:

Rick

We did a transatlantic in April 06 from Tampa to Southampton. The first couple of days were warm, but once we left Bermuda, it got chilly, warmed up a little as we got closer to Spain, but overall the weather was certainly cooler. I imagine it will be even colder in Dec, especially since you'll probably be taking a more northernly route to NYC.

I made use of the indoor solarium onboard to get my sun fix, so I would recommend getting up early to get a chair! Suntanning on deck once you get out in the middle of the Atlantic, isn't really an option!

The water was quite rough in the Bay of Biscay, knocked the plates onto the floor in the Winjammer and quite a few people looked a little green that evening, the show was almost empty!

Despite the weather and some rough seas, it was one of my favorite cruises, the Cruise Director and his staff were fabulous, kept us entertained during those long sea days!! Would do another transatlantic in a heartbeat. You just have to be prepared for some cooler weather and some rough seas! I would recommend it. The prices are generally cheaper and with lots of sea days, it's a good chance to get on a large ship (if that's your thing) and have the time to take in all that it has to offer.

Good luck planning!!

Besides loving the Radiance class, the weather on our Northern route TA next week is a reason we chose the Jewel because of the beautiful INDOOR pool in the solarium, and it is adults only though I doubt there will be too many kids.

Agree, the Jewel is beautiful.

We did the same TA two years ago and had a couple of really rough sea days. When it is too cool to swim outside they do open the adult pool to children a couple of hours a day.

We will see you on the Jewel in just a few days.

Nancy (Ken also)

By this time next week we should have sailed from Harwich enroute to our first port of call (Le Havre). See you both either in London or on board.:D

We have sailed in rough seas on at least two of our previous transatlantics but suffered little or no discomfort, and we are booked on still another for next year, Love the twenty five hour days and the days at sea.:)

Thanks for all of your responses.

We are not intimidated by the rocking of the ship in fact we like it. I am more concerned about my balcony time. I live on my balcony. I am hoping that being on a corner aft balcony it will block the wind and I can sit outside (possibly wrapped in a blanket) and read and enjoy the sea air.

Will it be too cold for this? We are sailing from Barcelona to NYC.

Thanks for all of your responses.

We are not intimidated by the rocking of the ship in fact we like it. I am more concerned about my balcony time. I live on my balcony. I am hoping that being on a corner aft balcony it will block the wind and I can sit outside (possibly wrapped in a blanket) and read and enjoy the sea air.

Will it be too cold for this? We are sailing from Barcelona to NYC.

Ask you steward for an extra blanket. I did in Alaska and spent tons of time out there.

Hi Sue,

My wife and I are considering a med cruise in 09.

thanks!!

Archived